Charging Problem

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markuspaffolter

My 2014 Ford Focus EV has 6500 miles and I started having a reoccurring problems after charging (both 110V and 220V). I received a "Charge Fault" text, and when I unplugged and started the car, a "Is Vehicle Plugged In?" error message continued to appear, while the blue charge status ring flashed. When I scrolled to the "No" button on the display, I was able to start driving, but the yellow "vehicle plugged in" icon showed while driving. I first had the issue on April 15th, and the NorthBay Ford dealer in Santa Cruz was not able to replicate the error, however, the 12V battery failed and was replaced by the dealer. I had the same "Is Vehicle Plugged In?" combined with a flashing blue charge status ring issue the following week, and the dealer confirmed low battery error messages, but couldn't duplicate the "Is Vehicle Plugged in?" message. When I called NorthBay today, they said it's a charger issue, and not a Ford issue. I contend that there are other possible causes and used multiple chargers to test the issue, and each time the same "Is Vehicle Plugged In?" error and flashing blue charge status happened.

Has anyone had a "Is Vehicle Plugged In?" error, or can anyone point me in the right direction? Great car but is starting to feel like a lemon.

If it's happening with multiple EVSE's there is an issue with the proximity resistance detection. This could be external in the harness going from the charge port to the SODBM ("on board charger"), or, more likely, the SODBM itself has an issue with the proximity detection circuit. I'd try to get them to replace the SODBM under warranty. If this is happening when the EVSE plug is removed from the car, it must be the car...

Back