FFE "is waiting to charge" at airport - stuck?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sb_in_nc

I parked my 2014 FFE and plugged it into a 120V outlet. It started charging, so I left. I need it to finish charging before I return, but the myfordmobile site (and app) show my car "is waiting to charge." It has been showing this for four days now.

I don't have any Value Charge settings (site shows "Charge Now" for Default and Home).

I've tried setting Go times for everyday at 7am but it hasn't started charging.

Is there anything I can do via the website or app to get my car to finish charging?

You are not going to like this, but...maybe somebody unplugged your car? or maybe the circuit the outlet you plugged into is turned off? Or maybe you tripped the circuit breaker and nobody has reset it yet. Or the combination being...you tripped the circuit breaker, the maintenance guy searched for the problem and found your car and unplugged it before he reset the breaker.

If the car was unplugged or the breaker was tripped MFM would show unplugged, not waiting to charge.

It usually only shows "waiting to charge" when at a value charge location and it isn't time to charge yet. How many times have you hit the "update" button in the app? Sometimes when it faults on me updating it 2 or 3 times clears the fault and it continues.

You could try switching it from charge now to value charge and back within the app and see if it realizes its mistake...

The car will show "waiting to charge" if the breaker tripped in our experience. I had this happen once with my parents' C-Max Energi back before we had our EVs when I was charging at our apartment before picking them up from the airport. The car started out showing charging and then switched to "waiting to charge" once the breaker tripped.

What does the car show if you plug the J1772 into the car but don't connect the other end to an outlet? Won't it show "waiting to charge" in that instance as well? Sounds like someone unplugged it or the breaker tripped.

hybridbear said:
The car will show "waiting to charge" if the breaker tripped in our experience. I had this happen once with my parents' C-Max Energi back before we had our EVs when I was charging at our apartment before picking them up from the airport. The car started out showing charging and then switched to "waiting to charge" once the breaker tripped.

What does the car show if you plug the J1772 into the car but don't connect the other end to an outlet? Won't it show "waiting to charge" in that instance as well? Sounds like someone unplugged it or the breaker tripped.

Agreed. If the car is plugged in, it will show "waiting to charge" if the other end is not plugged in. Someone unplugged my car at work once and it said that.

To follow up, the GFI outlet had tripped and the car was not charging. The GFI must have tripped very soon after I plugged it in, as there was no record of charging in the trip and charge log, though I remember seeing/hearing it start charging before I walked away.

Thanks for all of the informative posts, I'll be more careful about this in the future.

sb_in_nc said:
To follow up, the GFI outlet had tripped and the car was not charging. The GFI must have tripped very soon after I plugged it in, as there was no record of charging in the trip and charge log, though I remember seeing/hearing it start charging before I walked away.

Thanks for all of the informative posts, I'll be more careful about this in the future.
Was it just an issue of the GFI tripping and not the circuit breaker? I hope you had enough range to get home!

It was only a GFI trip. I pressed the reset button on the outlet, unplugged then replugged the car and it started charging for two or three minutes.

I had 48% charge but I live ~70 miles from the airport so I had stop at an L2 to charge for two hours... after a 25-hour journey. I really enjoy the FFE but its range is too short for me. Tesla or PHEV in my future.

sb_in_nc said:
To follow up, the GFI outlet had tripped and the car was not charging.
Was this outlet officially sanctioned for EV charging at the airport, or did you just "plug in" using some random outlet you found in the lot?

If you just plugged in to a random outlet, always keep in mind there is no guarantee that the circuit that the outlet is on has enough capacity to charge your EV and also power whatever other things might normally live on that circuit.

Back