Extended Test Drive

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
michael said:
Blink, etc. are expensive ways to charge. I think of them as "convenience store" items...more expensive and to be used only when necessary.

I have LADWP which is relatively inexpensive (by California standards) but offers little advantage for time of use. I wish they would offer a powerful incentive to charge at night but so far they don't.

I agree that there are many costs of ICE beyond fuel. My dealer service guy keeps mentioning oil, fluids, brakes, etc because he sees so few FFEs and has a hybrid mindset. Electricity, window washer fluid, and tires. That's about it....

What does LADWP charge per kwh in the high tier? Anaheim is 16.7cents but with the taxes and stuff it's actually 20 cents/kwh

damania said:
michael said:
Blink, etc. are expensive ways to charge. I think of them as "convenience store" items...more expensive and to be used only when necessary.

I have LADWP which is relatively inexpensive (by California standards) but offers little advantage for time of use. I wish they would offer a powerful incentive to charge at night but so far they don't.

I agree that there are many costs of ICE beyond fuel. My dealer service guy keeps mentioning oil, fluids, brakes, etc because he sees so few FFEs and has a hybrid mindset. Electricity, window washer fluid, and tires. That's about it....

What does LADWP charge per kwh in the high tier? Anaheim is 16.7cents but with the taxes and stuff it's actually 20 cents/kwh

It varies with the season and is always changing, but roughly....

The bottom tier is about 14.5 cents, and the middle tier is about 17.5 cents.

Eight months out of the year, there is no third tier (there is, but it's priced same as middle)

Four summer months, the top tier goes to about 21.5 cents (all plus taxes)

By contrast, with time of use: the base rate (nights and weekends) is about 13.9 cents which helps but not all that much. In addition, there's an $8 per month fixed charge. In the summer, peak rates go to about 25.5 cents. So you can see there's not a lot of incentive to change. My understanding is that this helps people with solar a good deal, but for EV owners it's iffy.

michael said:
damania said:
michael said:

It varies with the season and is always changing, but roughly....

The bottom tier is about 14.5 cents, and the middle tier is about 17.5 cents.

Eight months out of the year, there is no third tier (there is, but it's priced same as middle)

Four summer months, the top tier goes to about 21.5 cents (all plus taxes)

By contrast, with time of use: the base rate (nights and weekends) is about 13.9 cents which helps but not all that much. In addition, there's an $8 per month fixed charge. In the summer, peak rates go to about 25.5 cents. So you can see there's not a lot of incentive to change. My understanding is that this helps people with solar a good deal, but for EV owners it's iffy.

That's pretty good. I know Edison charges closer to $.49 for the higher tier.

campfamily said:
OK, so I'm estimating I'll use about 14 kWhr of electricity to make my 52 mile roundtrip commute (factoring in about 80% charging efficiency). Does that sound about right?

Keith
I guessing closer to 16.5 kWh based on an average of 250 Wh/mi. My charging efficiency is about 77-79%.

You guys are paying a lot for your electricity in CA. In TX, the cheapest is about $0.08/kWh. I'm currently paying $0.10/kWh plus $5/mo flat rate. If I use less than 1001 kWh, I get a $55 credit. I just signed up for this plan a few weeks ago. My first bill was $-49.00 for 1 week of use. :D

Elektra said:
campfamily said:
OK, so I'm estimating I'll use about 14 kWhr of electricity to make my 52 mile roundtrip commute (factoring in about 80% charging efficiency). Does that sound about right?

Keith
I guessing closer to 16.5 kWh based on an average of 250 Wh/mi. My charging efficiency is about 77-79%.

You guys are paying a lot for your electricity in CA. In TX, the cheapest is about $0.08/kWh. I'm currently paying $0.10/kWh plus $5/mo flat rate. If I use less than 1001 kWh, I get a $55 credit. I just signed up for this plan a few weeks ago. My first bill was $-49.00 for 1 week of use. :D

We pay a lot for pretty much everything.

Back