Remote charging with mobile app

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zebracadabra

I've already downloaded the app but the FFE is not expected until the first week of June so I have a lot of time to figure out the details of charging.

I'm leaning towards the Siemans Versacharge but am not committed to that. I've seen recs for Clipper Creek and others here as well.

The question is how can the Siemans charger receive a remote command from the app? Or does the app work only with the 110 charger they give you?

Please forgive my ignorance.

It should work with any EVSE, level 1 or level 2.

I use with Aerovironment EVSE at home and Turbo Cord when necessary. I'm sure Clipper Creek works fine too.

The EVSE makes the power available. The app talks to the car which asks for power when appropriate per programming.

zebracadabra said:
The question is how can the Siemans charger receive a remote command from the app? Or does the app work only with the 110 charger they give you?
The app doesn't really have direct control over starting or stopping charging. That's not really a feature the app provides for.

You can, however, use the app to switch the charging mode between "Charge Now" and "Value Charge", which you could use to "simulate" charging start/stop control (assuming the current Value Charge profile is configured to "never" charge). The change in mode takes some time to take effect, so the start/stop doesn't necessarily happen immediately. Also, since the current charging profile varies according the car's current location, this technique may not be that convenient or predictable.

Also, it doesn't matter which EVSE you use, and there is nothing special about the 110v EVSE that comes with the car -- it has no special connection with the car or the app.

I've been very happy with my Clipper Creek, but it's the only one I've had. Zero problems and car is always charged.

zebracadabra said:
The question is how can the Siemans charger receive a remote command from the app?
This is a common misconception. The thing on the wall that everyone is calling a "charger" isn't really the charger. Technically its called an "EVSE" (or Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment). All it is is a glorified GFI outlet with some extra circuitry to tell the car what it is. The EVSE sends a signal through the plug informing the car how much current it can supply. The actual charger is inside the car and will use the information from the EVSE to determine at what rate it should charge the car. Thus the car doesn't have to send a signal to any EVSE it just decides when to turn on and off its own charger.

In the FFE you can program a specific location to be a "value charge" location. For value charge locations you can setup a schedule of when the car charges (it does use some rules to determine if the schedule is valid or not and if it will be completely full at the end).

The app communicates via internet to Fords servers. The server calls the cars cellular modem to send and receave information. The car also calls Fords servers under some conditions. Such as the car has stopped charging.

Back