Regen & Panic Stops

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hybridbear

Today I had to do my first panic stop in years. I can't remember the last time I had to slam on my brakes. It was definitely before we had a hybrid with regen braking and we got our first hybrid in fall 2011. I was driving home in traffic when a bicyclist shot out against a red light into traffic. Fortunately because of traffic I was only doing 20-25 MPH (speed limit 30) and I was able to stop before hitting the cyclist. The tires locked up and I felt the ABS pumping. I heard the tires screech on the pavement. I didn't see what my brake score was for that stop, but for my entire trip home it was only 93%. That is really bad because this was a 7 mile city trip with 2.4 miles of regen according to MFM. Every other time I braked on my drive home was 100% brake score.

I wonder how much regen happens during a panic stop or if the car only uses the friction pads.

I think the car always does some regen. It has to: there is no clutch to disengage the electric motor from the drive wheels so its always spinning. It is possible that during a panic stop (or other time that it doesn't put the current back into the battery) that it either shunts the current through a resistor or simply open circuits the motor; in which case you'd have no regen at all LOL.

There really is no reason for it not to do some regen: as long as the front wheels are turning so is the motor (and thus I think its impossible to get a 0% brake score).

Granted, though, this is all my speculation based upon seeing a cutaway of the FFE's motor and examining it for a while.

Hybridbear,
You should have gotten a 110 % for stopping in time. I'm a cyclist myself, but that guy that ran the light deserves a 0%. Where I live, cyclists are required to observe all traffic laws, just as motorists.

redcelt007 said:
Hybridbear,
You should have gotten a 110 % for stopping in time. I'm a cyclist myself, but that guy that ran the light deserves a 0%. Where I live, cyclists are required to observe all traffic laws, just as motorists.
The same is true here for cyclists, but many don't obey the traffic laws. They frequently run stop signs and red lights and I see far too many near misses. The one thing I will say about the older woman who almost caused an accident with me was that she at least was wearing a helmet.

Back