TurboCord charging amps

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffand

TurboCordLabelSM_zpsd4m42kei.jpg

TurboCord claims that it charges 3 times faster than a Level 1 charging cord.
Then the question is how many amps does the TurboCord actually charge the FFE at.

Well here are the result of the testing.
TurboCord Level 1 (120 VAC), 11.5 amps
TurboCord Level 2 (240 VAC), 15.1 amps
Leviton Ford branded wall charger Level 2 (240 VAC), 29.1 amps.

This means that the TurboCord is 2.6 times faster than level 1 charging, when in the level 2 mode.

Fluke clamp on AC current meter was used for Level 2 current measurements.
TurbocordSM_zpsccxqhfgz.jpg

It could also have higher efficiency in 240v mode compared to 120v mode, that could make it higher than just the voltage and current input would indicate.
I note that at their website, they claim the Turbocord charges "nearly" 3x faster. :)
They show a picture with L1 charger charging 25% while the Turbocord in 240vmode charged up to 70%, thats a 2.8x difference.

Nice set of extra adaptors for different 240v receptacles - where did you get those from?

Nice patch cords. Where do you use the NEMA 6-50? I wish I would have left the pin out on my NEMA 14-50, that was smart.

I use the built in 240 cord with Air Conditioner receptacles and Refrigeration unit receptacles. I use the NEMA 14-50 at Clothes Dryers, RV plug-ins and Food Cart Plug-ins. I use the NEMA 10-30 when it is a welder receptacle. I love my TurboCord for making do away from home. At home and work I use the Juicebox.

PT

Doh! I am going to grab some silicone and give it a try. I made sure it was water tight with silicone. I think I siliconed the post in place, too. Thanks for the suggestion!

PT

Brilliant, again. I think my brain is fried this week from taxes. Where do you find the NEMA 6-50?

Back