back-up beeping

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evcar340

Will pick-up my Ford Focus electric tomorrow. I was at the dealership yesterday and for the first time realized that there is a back-up warning beep when in reverse... I will need to disable since we are in a townhouse complex and the noise will have to go... can it be done and how?...thank you

evcar340 said:
Will pick-up my Ford Focus electric tomorrow. I was at the dealership yesterday and for the first time realized that there is a back-up warning beep when in reverse... I will need to disable since we are in a townhouse complex and the noise will have to go... can it be done and how?...thank you

Are you referring to the proximity sensor in the rear? My FFE (2012) has it and it goes off only when I am near an object. It starts off slow and gets faster and louder as I near an object. I think it is just inside the cabin though. That should not be a problem. But maybe there is a different one on newer cars? I seem to recall there is a prompt when in reverse that allows the warning to be shut off.

Hi.. thanks for your response, no, :( the beep starts as soon as the shift selector is put in reverse and you commence backing up. I have not been able to find anything about disabling from an online manual...

The beep only happens when you are close to an object. The beeping increases in speed as you get closer to objects. It cannot really be heard outside the vehicle. Why does living in a townhouse mean you need to disable it? Most new cars come with back up sensors now that beep inside the vehicle to warn the driver while backing up.

the beeping is not from the sensor system to detect an object, it is on as soon as you put in reverse and commence backing up

evcar340 said:
the beeping is not from the sensor system to detect an object, it is on as soon as you put in reverse and commence backing up
Then it sounds like you need to make a trip to the dealer to figure it out.

That either is a new feature for 2015 or something dealer added. From your description it sounds like an external beep when the car is in reverse (much like you hear from trucks/heavy equipment).

If it is a new feature there may be a menu item to turn it off on the dash. It may, however, turn on with every key on though.

I just checked the owners manual and there is no mention of a backup alarm. I would talk to your dealer about how it got there. possibly it was installed for a different customer who was going to use it as a fleet vehicle. And then backed out on the deal.

jmueller065 said:
That either is a new feature for 2015 or something dealer added. From your description it sounds like an external beep when the car is in reverse (much like you hear from trucks/heavy equipment).

If it is a new feature there may be a menu item to turn it off on the dash. It may, however, turn on with every key on though.

It is also possible there is a defect in the sensors and it comes on because of it. If even one sensor is blocked or defective, the alarm will go off. You might want to check on this.

If you get out of the vehicle with the key fob the car will make a beeping sound, letting you know that it is turned on.

Back