Value Charging not working

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcmager

I turned on Value Charging for my home charger and it stills charges as soon as I plug it in when I get home. I set up a profile through the website for my charger (Clipper Creek LCS-25), turned on Value Charging both on the website through the MyFord mobile app, and it still immediately starts charging. Anybody else have this problem, and more importantly, how did you solve it? I'm switching to time of use, and I'd really rather not pay peak rates to charge my vehicle, not do I want to go out and plug my car in at 10 or 11 pm.

rcmager said:
I turned on Value Charging for my home charger and it stills charges as soon as I plug it in when I get home. I set up a profile through the website for my charger (Clipper Creek LCS-25), turned on Value Charging both on the website through the MyFord mobile app, and it still immediately starts charging. Anybody else have this problem, and more importantly, how did you solve it? I'm switching to time of use, and I'd really rather not pay peak rates to charge my vehicle, not do I want to go out and plug my car in at 10 or 11 pm.
How have you programmed your Value Charge windows? Starting those windows at midnight has caused some issues in the past.

What Go Times do you have set?

One thing you should confirm if you haven't already. The car will appear to start charging when you first plug it in even if it is set to value charge. The EVSE will activate and you will hear the contacts close. However, the charging will stop a few moments later if the value charge is working correctly. Plug the car in and check to see if it is still charging after 5 minutes. If it has stopped, the value charge time is actually working correctly. Other things that could potentially start the charge early are extremely hot or cold temperatures, not enough time to complete the needed charge within the allotted value charge period, or the well know problem around midnight.

I hope this helps.

Oilman

I spent some time trying to get Value charging to work on my car and I had the same problem you had. I fixed it by changing to 240 volt charging on the Value charging profile on the car's touchscreen. I did this when I installed my 240 volt charger. Not sure if the car might realize you are misinforming it and it might override your choice if you use a Level 1 (120 volt) charger.

It appears the car has the following logic for Value Charge (my example is value charge set to 10pm to 6am and plugged in at 7pm):

If the car can be fully charged in the charging window, it will charge in the window (for instance 10pm till finished)

If the car can't be fully charged in the window and:
...it can be charged by starting early and finish by the end of the window... it will start charging early (for instance 8:36pm to 6am)
...it can't be charged by the end of the window...it will start immediately and charge until full (for instance as soon as you plug in till 7:40am)

What worked very well for us with our "other" FFE (Fusion Energi) is to use a digital timer rated for 15 amps plugged between the Ford supplied 120 volt charger and the outlet. That way we can set it to charge now all the time and not worry about what to set the car to. We did this for two reasons: the Energi would sometimes decide to fully charge when plugged in and no more remembering to change it to Charge Now when we charge away from home. Now the only issue is resetting the timer for DST twice a year.

Back