Tire Feedback

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peteh2

Does anyone else hate the tires on the FFE?

I find the traction horrible in dry conditions and outright scary in wet conditions.

Has anyone changed out the tires for something else? I'm leaning towards a performance tire. Thinking that a performance tire would help deal with the torque and may make an entertaining ride even more fun.

If you have some data points I'd welcome any feedback. Also curious to know is changing to a more performance oriented tire would have a dramatic impact on mileage. I don't mind sacrificing a few miles of range, but if it impacts range > 10% I may have a different opinion.

Thanks.

-Pete

Found this thread, some interesting comments:

http://www.myfocuselectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2010

I'm considering going with these tires:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...ar=2014&autoModel=Focus Electric&autoModClar=

Available in same spec as the OEM tires. Generally good reviews on Tire Rack. Seems to be good value for spend. Seems to perform well in all seasons.

Appears that tire can be ordered online at WalMart and shipped to a local WalMart with tire install services. No shipping charges and $12/tire for install.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/General-G-MAX-AS-03-Tire-225-50ZR17SL-94W-BW/19889627

Will probably pull the trigger and report back on findings.

Cheers.

So I see this is a pretty old topic but I am interested in any results. We recently bought a used 2013 FFE and hate the tires. Since this is a 5 year old vehicle with about 30K miles there is already some battery loss and I don't really want to add to the lost range by changing to the wrong times. I live in the PNW and we don't really get a lot of snow where I am but we do get a lot of rain in the winter and at times slippery roads. I'd like to have something that pretty much works all seasons without a huge impact on the range. Does anyone have any suggestions on new, current technology tires.

Thanks.

Hokus,

I'm a fellow PNW FFE owner who hates the traction on the original tires. I've been lurking as a reader to this dying FFE forum since before I bought my 2013 FFC (in January 2016). I decided to create an account just to reply.

I still have the OEM tires on mine but my former coworker who also has a 2013 FFC reports a major improvement with BFGoodrich - g-Force COMP-2 A/S tires purchased earlier in 2018 (when it was still rainy). He got them at Costco and I plan to replace my tires with these in September as well. Coworker reported his watt/hr per mile increased from ~240 to ~250w/mi (less than 5% change) but the improved traction has kept him from selling the car ;) .

Good luck, from 98074

Thank you for the reply. I drove it this morning after just a very light drizzle and it broke loose when I took off and then when I was trying to change lanes. I don't like the way it drives but I'm not the one who will be driving it daily. My wife hates it and I think probably more than I do. I tend to push driving to the edge from time to time, after all, the acceleration is the fun part of driving an electric, but if you can't keep the tires from spinning then what good is that. I'll definitely research the Goodrich tires. We just returned the KIA Soul EV we were leasing which got consistently 80-100 miles per charge depending on the weather. The heater also had much less impact on the range. I wouldn't have hesitated to replace the tires on that one but since in the winter months the range is already pretty low on a 5 year old battery I didn't want to decrease it much more. Either one of us can make it back and forth to work with the small range so I think it's way more important to make sure we actually make it by getting better tires.

Thanks again!!

Back