just ordered 2015 model I have a few questions.

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suprduprffev

I was wondering can you charge these vehicles off a generator? I go to lots of sporting events.

Also what is the best charger to purchase I was looking at the turbocord.

One more... what kind of range are people getting on their car?

Thanks

Yes you can charge off of a generator but it kind of defeats the purpose doesn't it?

There are many Level 2 EVSE's that are "good". Asking "what is the best one" is like asking "what is the best extension cord". You are going to get many replies, all valid to each person's point of view.

Personally I'm happy with the ones I have/use (Juicebox and Clipper Creek) but have also heard good things about the Turbo Cord.

Range depends highly on where in the country you are (weather): In the northern climes where it frequently dips below freezing you can count on a good 50 miles or so. When the weather is milder 70 miles or more are frequently seen.

jmueller065 said:
Yes you can charge off of a generator but it kind of defeats the purpose doesn't it?

There are many Level 2 EVSE's that are "good". Asking "what is the best one" is like asking "what is the best extension cord". You are going to get many replies, all valid to each person's point of view.

Personally I'm happy with the ones I have/use (Juicebox and Clipper Creek) but have also heard good things about the Turbo Cord.

Range depends highly on where in the country you are (weather): In the northern climes where it frequently dips below freezing you can count on a good 50 miles or so. When the weather is milder 70 miles or more are frequently seen.

I'm in the central valley of california.

I was thinking of charging off the generator we are already using while tailgating

Thanks for the info

It makes sense about the generator and tailgating - you're running the generator for some reason, there's excess electricity, why not use it? I think you will have a problem using a generator. It may also depend on the generator and its inverter.

Sorry I did not try my generator on the FFE. I have a Polaris 30 Amp generator that is supposed to produce good clean sine wave AC. I connected it to my Tesla charger (didn't plug in the car) and the charger immediately flashed red, saying there was something wrong and it would not charge the car. Given that bad result, I didn't bother plugging in the FFE charger. The next time I have to run the generator - in a few weeks - I'll possibly try plugging in the FFE cord.

The other thing to consider, you'll get almost no miles per hour charging at 110V. I think it is around 4 miles per hour of charge. That's probably not really worth messing with.

Somebody in an older thread asked about using a generator on the car - they ran out of charge close to home and wanted to jump start the car. I have a feeling that wouldn't work.

A friend of mine is buying used Leaf batteries for about $3,500 each. They take a couple of these and turn them into fast, portable chargers that can be recharged overnight. Oh the options that are coming for EVs in the future!

I would check to see which chargers are elligible for rebates in California. Here in Washington we recently have been offered a $500 rebate on home chargers from Puget Sound Energy but only some are eligible.

https://pse.com/aboutpse/PseNewsroom/NewsReleases/Pages/PSE-Launches-New-Rebate-Program-for-Purchase-of-Level-2-Electric-Vehicle-Chargers.aspx

I have been getting an average range from the mid 70s to the mid 80s you can get more ore less depending on your speed and the weather-heater usage.

Olagon said:
A friend of mine is buying used Leaf batteries for about $3,500 each. They take a couple of these and turn them into fast, portable chargers that can be recharged overnight. Oh the options that are coming for EVs in the future!

How would that work?

Also company I work for PG&E just announced their proposal to put 25k charger through their service territory. There are only 60k registered electric vehicles in their areas. Would make getting hooked to a charger lots easier

Hi all. This is my first reply here. Ordering a 2015 FFE on 2/16 and coming out of a 2013 C-Max Energi. Heard their hard to find and the dealership has 2 on order but not a color I want.

Live in Vermont in the mountains, but charging is becoming better here.

Super excited and luckily I know the dealership where there gonna let me borrow one for a day or two just to make sure.

Yellowzx5 said:
Hi all. This is my first reply here. Ordering a 2015 FFE on 2/16 and coming out of a 2013 C-Max Energi. Heard their hard to find and the dealership has 2 on order but not a color I want.

Super excited and luckily I know the dealership where there gonna let me borrow one for a day or two just to make sure.

Just past four months and 4,900 miles. Love this car. There are a few quirks like when driving slow and hitting bumps the car gets jerky. But they are minor. I think Ford really did a good job giving excellent value for this car.

Olagon said:
Yellowzx5 said:

Just past four months and 4,900 miles. Love this car. There are a few quirks like when driving slow and hitting bumps the car gets jerky. But they are minor. I think Ford really did a good job giving excellent value for this car.

Yeah I got a smoking deal after corporate discount and rebates I think I am going to end up paying 6500 out the door with platinum white paint and leather options.

v_traveller said:
So you got a corporate discount? Was it the X-plan?

No it was better then the x plan by a little bit plus my company is cutting me a 2000 dollar check. Plus state and local air board rebates

suprduprffev said:
v_traveller said:

No it was better then the x plan by a little bit plus my company is cutting me a 2000 dollar check. Plus state and local air board rebates

Is the $2,000 from your company taxable? Would love to see the docs to see if I can model that deal as well with my company!

Olagon said:
suprduprffev said:
v_traveller said:

Is the $2,000 from your company taxable? Would love to see the docs to see if I can model that deal as well with my company!

Yes it is but the 2000 is after tax.

Just put a deposit down on a 2015 FFE and should have it next week.

I went to my local AZ Ford dealer where I finally got to drive one. The dealers here get about one a month. When I went there I had a TrueCar offer from a dealer in CA so I used that to negotiate. Turns out I should have bought the car from the dealer in Phoenix as they went $900 under sticker but then added tint and paint protection that brought it up to 26,000 plus tax OTD. I don't trust dealers who make you buy their add ons though. Didn't get a good feeling from Camelback Ford. Called back the next day and they sold the car 20 minutes after I walked out the door. Then the salesman said he got yelled at for offering the car at such a low price and he should never do it again. Said one was coming in next week but it would cost $2000 over invoice.

Then I called the True Car dealer in California North County Ford. that offed the 2015 no leather for $24,153 plus tax OTD. After I asked them why after two days they hadn't sent out the paperwork so I could buy it and chasing down the sales guy he finally said he wouldn't sell it to me. I guess every once in a while the TrueCar Price updates. It's even showing a couple hundred dollars lower now.

So back to the first guy I talked to at Mossy Ford in San Diego. $25,600 with Leather OTD plus tax and $300 shipping. There is a 200 mile hole between San Diego and Phoenix along I-8 with no chargers.

I drove the Leaf and almost pulled the trigger. I just couldn't justify almost $30,000 plus $2400 tax for an SV.

The FFE will be $20,100 after the $7500 tax credit.

Right now 2013 FFE's are bringing $17,000 at wholesale auction in the Western and Southern States. If you can find a nice one.

Another Cali dealer who only had a 2014 wanted $21,400

I have to say I love the car but almost went back to looking at a Leaf because of the Dealers they have. No wonder why they are all scared of Tesla.

Back