Just wanted to share the news!

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's great! I am hoping to get in on that production run too! I ordered last week. What level 2 charger are you going with?
I have yet to decide. So many to choose from.

There are a lot of EVSE's to choose from. You want a 30 Amp model. Decide if you are mounting it inside or outside as to whether you need a weatherproof model. The price varies greatly with the length of the cord. Which is ridiculous because it is just a few extra feet of multiconductor cable. I wanted to purchase my EVSE before December 31 to get the tax credit. I just went on Amazon and chose an affordable model with the cord length I need. I think it's a Siemens.

Steve0512 said:
Which is ridiculous because it is just a few extra feet of multiconductor cable.
Its not ridiculous when you consider the requirements of that cable:
  • Must handle 240V @ 30+Amps
  • Minimal losses over the distance at high current (low resistance)
  • Must remain flexible across a large temperature range
  • Must resist oil/grease/etc. Yeah its for an EV but must be able to live in a garage environment
  • Resist corrosion (see below)

All of these requirements add up to a very expensive cable (the most expensive piece of the EVSE).

Corrosion resistance: The Bosch Power Xpress EVSE has been sold with a cable with just copper contacts. This unit/cable is now under recall where they replace the cable with silver coated contacts. The copper contacts would corrode over time and introduce some resistance at the connection. This resistance causes heat. Eventually it gets hot enough during a charging cycle to melt the plastic connector in the car. For more info read this:
http://jamiegeek.myevblog.com/2014/08/04/more-on-that-melting/
and here:
http://jamiegeek.myevblog.com/2015/01/06/a-powerxpress-recall/

Neither that cable nor that pin look anything like the ones on the 3 EVSE's I have.

(Although I do see on the grainger site there you can get it in black LOL)

wressler said:
I got the Schneider EVlink EV230WS.

I really liked that model. It is good looking, gets great reviews and I like the idea of putting a skin on the case. Unfortunately for me it was the first model to sell out on Amazon when they announced the tax breaks for EVSE's.

wressler said:
I got the Schneider EVlink EV230WS. It's installed and ready to go. Now I wait.
Thats the same model EVSE I got for my FFE back in October.
Back then, Home Depot had a $100 off deal with free shipping so I ordered thru their website since you can return it to a local store within 90 days of purchase if needed. So I got it for $499 plus sales tax.
Its worked fine since I installed it in my garage and had a local electrician install the extra 240V/40A circuit breaker and wiring to it, 4 months ago.

IMG_0966.jpg

eaglelaker said:
That's great! I am hoping to get in on that production run too! I ordered last week. What level 2 charger are you going with?
I have yet to decide. So many to choose from.

I got the clipper creek with a plug incase I move much easier with that.... http://www.clippercreek.com/store/product/hcs-40p-32a-240v-charging-25-cord-nema-14-50-plug/
I also did it before the end of the year to get the tax credit :) .... I also tied the vin link doesnt not work but dealer its going to be built in march but still no window sticker ....just waiting now :(

I settled on the JuiceBox Classic 30. It appears to be somewhat portable and rugged. Now I'll get a electrican to get a 240v line out to the garage. Looking forward to joining the EV crowd. :D

Looks nice! I like your cord management.

They were supposed to start building my car tomorrow but it got rescheduled for Wednesday. :x

Steve0512 said:
My window sticker was generated today. Also this week the build status changed to In Production. Things are getting real.

Thats Great I am only stuck with VIN and no other news....very frustrating

Me Too! But I know I am going to like the car. The idea of not stopping for gas every week is great. My weekly commute is 66 mi. round trip in my old ranger. So the wait will be worth it! :p

eaglelaker said:
Me Too! But I know I am going to like the car. The idea of not stopping for gas every week is great. My weekly commute is 66 mi. round trip in my old ranger. So the wait will be worth it! :p

I bought my first new car, a Ranger, in '87. I have traded and owned one ever since until I traded a 2001 4x4 Ranger Edge( had that one for 8years) in 2011 for the new Focus. As much as I really enjoyed and liked the Rangers, I have never regretted trading for the Focus. (miss it sometimes when I need to haul something) The Focus I traded in last sept on the FFE I have now. Even more enjoyment with the FFE! ( I could be swayed to buy a Ranger Electric if there were such a beast!) Now THAT would be cool! Maybe something like this
http://www.careudesign.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/new-ford-ranger-2016-careudesign.com_.jpg

Or expand on this concept.
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2014/10/ford-eyes-return-to-small-pickup-segment.html

Back