Do you want quick charging?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffand

If Ford offered CCS (DC Quick charging) level 3 charging on new FFE would you want it?
Let's say the option cost $1500 extra to get. Would you pay the extra to get this option?

I came up with the price of $1500 because this is about what Nissan charges for Level 3 charging. I would most likely go for the Level 3 charging. The reason being I could get rid of my second gas powered car. Also it now makes it possible to go on those long road trips. The saving would be in I would no longer have to insure or maintain a second car. Here in Wisconsin level 3 charging stations are very rare, but this should change over time.

I would probably get it even though I don't need it and may never have need of it. I work and live at home, I can walk to the grocery store and do almost all I need to within 35 miles of home. I've only ever used my charger at home. The very few chargers near me are not in places I go. But if I did have a quick charge option, and there were to be stations built near by, then having it would open possibilities i wouldn't consider otherwise. At this time, with just the chargers available around me, It still isn't practical to use them, as I wouldn't have enough of a need to spend two or three hours waiting for a charge to make the trip worthwhile, but with a quick charge that would take say 30 minutes for a reasonable charge, It becomes far more feasible to use the car more and at greater range, IF we ever get that level of stations nearby. But here in southwest Ohio, we tend to be at least 5 years behind everybody else in these kinds of things, so I am not holding my breath. Just getting sufficient charge stations would be a miracle. But, hey, I got my FFE 5 years too soon for this area, I'll probably get a quick charge capable one five years too soon as well! LOL!

Yes! The time it takes to charge is even more important than range! If I can charge in 20 mins every 50 miles it would not be so inconvenient to have only a 75 mile capability.

The problem I see is the charger network is expanding with L2. We don't need L2 as much as we need L3. They'll have to scrap the L2s in favor of L3 so it's money down the drain with all the L2 installations in the next 5 years.

damania said:
Yes! The time it takes to charge is even more important than range! If I can charge in 20 mins every 50 miles it would not be so inconvenient to have only a 75 mile capability.

The problem I see is the charger network is expanding with L2. We don't need L2 as much as we need L3. They'll have to scrap the L2s in favor of L3 so it's money down the drain with all the L2 installations in the next 5 years.

I agree 100%. Range is nice, but fast charge is much more important. Until it becomes the way we recharge, the mass market will not get in line with electric cars. I wouldn't trade my FFE for a ICE at all, but really, 75 miles and I have to charge nearly 4 hours before I can travel another 75 miles? I don't have time for that. But I could drive 50 +/- miles and charge for 20 minutes and get on my way. That is more along the way most of us could get behind. Far more practical for everyday use.

damania said:
Not necessarily: L2's installed where people spend time (shopping centers, restaurants, stadiums, movie theaters, etc.) are fine. In fact, in most cases, L2's are installed where you wouldn't want L3's.

L3's are needed where Tesla has been installing Superchargers: out on the highway for long distance cruising.

Personally: If the FFE had an L3 option when I leased mine I would have included it..even if I never use it. Simply because it would open up a bunch more options for travel.

Even if I did want it, I wouldn't pay $1500 for it as a standalone option. On the Leaf, it is part of a package, isn't it? It's really just a connector, wiring to the HV battery and some software, or at most a separate module that communicates with the charger.

As far as how we've used the car so far, I don't think it would be very useful. The only place I recall going, other than an experimental adventure, that I need to charge is LAX--and I need nearly a full charge to get back. 80% wouldn't do it.

I think there is too much obsession over range. Sure, I understand that some people's commutes just aren't covered by the FFE and they'd like a little more, but to try to substitute for a good gas car for long trips just doesn't work for any electric car.

Tesla has Superchargers on I-15 in Barstow and in Las Vegas so you can go from SoCal to Vegas with just one stop along the way. An FFE, even with Chademo, would need at least 4 stops and this would more than double your driving time. Our "other" car, an Accord that hardly moves these days, can go all the way to Vegas AND BACK without needing fuel. Of course Superchargers are incrementally free, but if we were talking $0.59/kWh for Chademo, the Accord would cost a lot less to drive, at least in fuel, as well.

So no, I don't really want Chademo, or SAE Combo and I certainly wouldn't pay much for it. I'd prefer to charge at home for free, not worry about burning up my battery and just use the FFE for the 98% of our driving that it is suited for.

The big problem with public charging (which includes L3) is access and dependability. I try not to plan trips that rely on public charging (other than my workplace) because there is so much risk it will be occupied and unusable to me. I'd rather see a bunch of L2 than a single L3.

And as brogult pointed out, a trip to Vegas would take forever in an FFE, even with L3. Even if there were properly spaced stations, you would spend hours at each one...20 minutes charging and who-can-say how long waiting for access.

And for the same reason, if offered a choice between L3 for $1500 and, for example, an extra 10 kWh battery capacity for $5000, I would probably go for the battery increase. That is something that would be of benefit all the time, another 30-40 miles of range would be much more useful than the ability to possibly charge at an L3 location. That's one of the appeals of the Kia Soul...27 kWh useful capacity. Of course, still no Vegas--that's Volt territory--but a lot more freedom in daily use.

No. I seriously doubt that driving the FFE and paying for L3 charging would be cheaper than driving our Fusion Energi and using some gas once we get beyond the EV range. Plus, there aren't very many L3 stations around here.

hybridbear said:
No. I seriously doubt that driving the FFE and paying for L3 charging would be cheaper than driving our Fusion Energi and using some gas once we get beyond the EV range. Plus, there aren't very many L3 stations around here.
Yet...

The more I think about it there is a balance between range and fast charging that could be optimized. With 50 miles as a low range in the winter, I certainly wouldn't mind the fast charge option to go further but still, 80% is 40 miles so realistically a 1 hour trip becomes 1 1/2 to go 90 miles and then you need a level 2 for 3 1/2 hours to get back and charge for 20+ min at L3 to get home. Adds an hour to your day of twiddling your thumbs. NYC is 100 miles from my home. I still would be struggling to make it there in Winter on one L3 boost.

Statistically speaking the FFE was never designed as a destination car but really as a daily commuter. 200 mile car with L3 capability could be a destination car because 80% would give you 160 miles in 20 min, 360 miles gets you a fair distance from home and the 20 min spent charging L3 would be a much smaller % of your drive time.

So for me the FFE with 23kwH pack doesn't make sense to spend $1500 extra for.
I wouldn't do it.
H

Back