Is it OK to use 220V timer, Value Charge broken

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparky123

I have been struggling with value charge profile setting for home for months, cant find a configuration that works to my satisfaction.

I am on PG&E E6 schedule, TOU, I have solar panels. The value charge profile for PG&E doesn't work. I have read a few threads i forum on how to "fool" the system to charge off peak but its non-optimal. For example I currently have it set to not charge between 5pm and 8pm (per PG&E winter M-F schedule), same schedule for week day and weekend (since it seems myFord gets confused on transitions between weekday and weekend). If I plug in before 5pm it will not start charging until 8pm very frustrating. I give up on Ford ever making this work. In contrast my Volt has very straightforward programming in car, I set this up once only, works for PG&E winter and summer schedule, perfect.

I am thinking about installing a 240V switch for the EV charger, specifically the Intermatic EH40, since it is only one I can find with digital timer and lets me set different schedule for weekend versus weekday. http://www.amazon.com/Intermatic-EH40-240-Volt-Electronic-Heater/dp/B000NCYPOM

This one is designed for water heaters but seems like it should work for a 30A 220V EV charger also.

Any gotchas with going down this path or better solutions?

looks like it's rated for 7.2KW (30A) so you should be good to go. I don't have time of day electric rates where I live. If I did I would have done something with a small 120V timer to switch the power on/of to the circuit board in my JuiceBox. I didn't know there were reasonably priced 240V timers. I like your solution better than mine. The only suggestion I would make is that you try to have the car done charging when the timer turns off. This will extend the life of the timer since opening the contacts under load can potentially wear them out faster.

Before you spend $66, I want you to do one thing.
1. Turn off the circuit breaker to your EVSE.
2. Plug the EVSE into your car.
3. Turn on the circuit breaker to your EVSE. (This would simulate your timer coming on).
4. Observe if your car starts charging immediately.
If the car starts charging immediately then you are fine to use the timer. I am concerned that the EVSE may not output power on startup. It may need to be powered up first and then need to see a change of state before it outputs power. Good luck.

If the car starts charging immediately then you are fine to use the timer. I am concerned that the EVSE may not output power on startup. It may need to be powered up first and then need to see a change of state before it outputs power. Good luck.

On that and most Intermatic timers you can connect the timer power and the load contacts to different circuits, or to different sections of the same circuit. In the case of putting an EVSE on a timer, you can connect the timer to the input to the EVSE (power always on) but put the load contacts in the charging cord circuit. I think most EVSEs will not worry about the zero current draw.

Have you tried using the MFM generic Value Charge Window, or creating your own?
I found that the MFM data for PG&E in Northern CA does not work either.

EV01.jpg

EV02.jpg

EV03.jpg

EV04.jpg

EV05.jpg

EV06.jpg

EV07.jpg

EV08.jpg

EV09.jpg

EV10.jpg

EV11.jpg

EV12.jpg