20A Level 2 vs 32A Level 2

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
v_traveller said:
WattsUp said:
jmueller065 said:
My Chargepoint card is the same size as a credit card? Is yours smaller? (like a grocery store loyal customer card?)
Yes, mine is small, and has a hole for placing on a key chain.
Did they not offer y'all two cards when you signed up? When I signed up a couple of years ago, chargepoint gave me two cards - one keychain-sized which I used immediately, and one credit card. The keychain one delaminated and stopped working last month, so now I'm using the credit card.
ChargePoint gave us two keychain sized cards in summer 2014 when we signed up. When my parents signed up when they got their Energi in summer 2013 they also received two keychain sized cards.

Chargepoint must have changed their standard practice, probably more than once.
In Aug. 2012, when I joined, they sent me just 1 (one) smallish monochrome card, about 1 3/8 by 2 3/8".

Slots: I never paid attention to those, before reading this thread. Now that I have looked, doubt I'll ever use them: shift lever blocking them (in Park position) is a problem (not encountered in my wallet) (that could be a way to fight the urge to spend carelessly, though!).

cwstnsko said:
it certainly appears that when pre-conditioning using the 20A EVSE, some of the energy for the pre-conditioning is coming from the HVB
I'm also seeing this, even when I set the Juicebox up to 29A--I can't go any higher because I only have 30A breakers (I'm sure I'm pushing it at 29A but so far the breakers have not tripped). At 29A the Juicebox displays 7kW but I still see 99% HVB after the precondition is complete.

For my next experiment, since I can't go any higher on the Juicebox without replacing the breakers, is to set the precondition to end 30 minutes before I leave for work. Hopefully the car will still be toasty (it is in a garage) and hopefully it will top off the charge during those 30 minutes.

We occasionally have variations in our charge as well. The MFM app shows 100% but sometimes it takes 0.75 miles or more before regen is available and sometimes it takes only 200 feet of driving.

We always use Go Times, but we have a lot of variation in when we leave. Neither my wife or I work for companies with really strict schedules so neither of us leaves at a consistent time each day. It's more a matter of whenever we wake up & go to the office. Thus sometimes the car is sitting for 30 mins or more after the Go Time before we drive, sometimes it's 5 minutes after or sometimes we leave while the car is warming up before the Go Time has arrived. I haven't been able to put together a pattern yet in terms of the variations in how full the battery is.

The Fusion Energi sometimes shows 99% in MFM but when I get in the car and check the charge with my tablet & Torque Pro I see that it's really at 100%.

Current experiment results:

Experiment: Set go time to 30 minutes prior to departure to see if the car will charge back up after precondition complete.
Results:
Car does not charge back up after pre-condition complete. It seems like the car has a flag that it sets indicating 100% charged. Even after the precondition is complete it will indicate 100% charge until you unplug and start the car.

Thus to get the car to top off it may be necessary to unplug, start, stop, replug. I attempted this procedure this morning when the car read 98% full after the precondition. I could not, however, get the car to charge!? Using the mobile app I was even attempting to switch it from value charge to charge now and it wouldn't take. I eventually had to give up and begin my commute. If it does this tomorrow morning I will attempt to switch to charge now from inside the car.

This morning after preconditioning was complete the car read 99% and no matter what I did (aside from taking a spin) I could not get it to top off the charge (even switching from Value Charge to Charge Now from inside the car).

Back