2012 vs 2013 Warranty

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James

The bumper to bumper warranty on my 2012 FFE is set to expire this summer. As a result, I’ve been reading my warranty book trying to figure out what components are covered under the powertrain warranty. This led me to notice a significant different in the wording between the 2012 and 2013 models. My 2012 warranty booklet does not mention the Electric Drive Module Assembly in the powertrain warranty section at all. The description of an “engine” clearly describes part related to an ICE and make no mention of the electric motor. In fact, the only specific mention of the FFE in the powertrain warranty is the single drive gear box.
I happened to compare the 2012 and 2013 warranty books and notice a HUGE difference in the 8 year “unique electrical components” warranty:

From the 2012 booklet:

-The following Focus Electric parts are covered during this extended coverage period: battery packs; high-voltage battery conditioning pump, hoses, valves; charger and charge cord.

From the 2013 booklet:

-The following Focus Electric unique parts are covered during this extended coverage period: high-voltage battery packs, high voltage charger, DC/DC convertor, Electric Drive Module Assembly (includes electric motor and gearbox), trans range and charge cord.

So it would appear that the 8 year warranty for 2012 essentially covers just the battery related components while the 2013 8 year warranty covers almost the entire drivetrain.

My interpretation of this is that the drivetrain in my 2012 is only covered for 3 years, while the 2013 is covered for 8 years – quite a difference….. Has anyone else noticed this and/or received an official clarification from Ford on exactly what the 2012 warranty covers?

My dealer has told me they are unable to clarify the warranty without specific part numbers to look up in their system. Would anyone have part numbers for any of the major drivetrain components?

Back