Is any maintenance needed or even desirable??

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael

I'm approaching 30,000 miles, the only maintenance I've done is to rotate the tires twice.

Is there anything I should have done/should do?

The maintenance is in the book. I'd imagine you might need new brake fluid but it isn't mentioned. Here's a list you can likely do yourself.
Coolant change intervals
Initial change 10 years or 150,000 miles (240,000 km) (whichever comes first)
After initial change Every 5 years or 50,000 miles (80,000 km)
Check every month
Function of all interior and exterior lights
Tires for wear and proper pressure, including spare
Windshield washer fluid level
Check every six months
Battery connections; clean if necessary
Body and door drain holes for obstructions; clean if necessary
Cooling system fluid level and coolant strength
Door weatherstrips for wear; lubricate if necessary
Hinges/latches/outside locks for proper operation; lubricate if necessary
Parking brake for proper operation
Safety belts and seat latches for wear and function
Safety warning lamps (brake, ABS, airbag, safety belt) for operation
Washer spray/wiper operation; clean or replace blades as necessary

Multi-point inspection – Recommended each visit
Battery performance Radiator, cooler, heater and A/C hoses
Exterior lamps and hazard
warning system operation
Suspension component for leaks or damage
Fluid levels*; fill if necessary Tires for wear and proper pressure
For oil and fluid leaks Steering and linkage
Half-shaft dust boots
Windshield for cracks, chips or pits
Horn operation Washer spray and wiper operation
*Brake, coolant recovery reservoir and window washer

NORMAL SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE AND LOG
At every 1 year or 10,000 miles
service interval 1
Rotate tires, inspect tire wear and measure tread depth
Perform multi-point inspection (see above)
Inspect brake pads, shoes, rotors, drums, brake linings, hoses and parking brake
Inspect cabin air filter (if equipped)
Inspect cooling system level, strength and hoses
Inspect half-shaft boots
Inspect steering linkage, ball joints, suspension, tie-rod ends, driveshaft and U-joints; lubricate if equipped with grease fittings
Inspect wheels and related components for abnormal noise, wear, looseness or drag
Every 20,000 miles
Replace cabin air filter (if equipped)
At 10 years or 150,000 miles (2)
Change coolant and coolant filter*
1 Do not exceed 1 year or 10,000 miles (16,000 km) between
service intervals
2 Initial replacement at 10 years or 150,000 miles (240,000 km), then every 5 years or 50,000 miles (80,000 km). The coolant must be exchanged as indicated in the Ford Motor Company Workshop Manual. If not performed properly, damage could occur to the cooling system components. Only use pre-mixed coolant that meets Ford Motor Company specifications found in the Maintenance and Specifications chapter

Right but much of this seems like boilerplate for the ICE car (check radiator...) or stuff that really isn't needed, just totally precautionary stuff so the dealer has something to do (check windshield...)..

Do you think I should take it to the dealer? I'm not sure they would actually do anything of significance. That's really what I'm getting at.

Brakes, I figure, won't wear. No oil, etc...???

In other words, if I take it in, will they really do anything or just take a look and approve? The only thing I seen of any significance is to change the coolant at 10 years/150k miles.

michael said:
Right but much of this seems like boilerplate for the ICE car (check radiator...) or stuff that really isn't needed, just totally precautionary stuff so the dealer has something to do (check windshield...)..
The FFE has a radiator. It is used during charging to cool the battery. Granted, it doesn't see the same extreme temperature fluctuations as an ICE car (and so will probably last proportionately longer, as will all the hoses and other equipment).

But, yes, most of the stuff is pretty boilerplate. I've had my FFE for two years and haven't taken it in (other than for the recall software updates last year).

michael said:
... if I take it in, will they really do anything or just take a look and approve? The only thing I seen of any significance is to change the coolant at 10 years/150k miles.
An honest dealer will charge you a fair price mainly for rotating the tires, and actually perform all the checks. A slimy dealer will make something up and charge you as much as they can.

But, you are correct, the only meaningful maintenance item on the FFE is the coolant change at 150K. Neat, eh?

I guess I should take the FFE to the dealer right near the 10,000 mile mark for some warranty work since they'll do their multi-point inspection as part of any service. Then I can just have the tires rotated for free at Discount Tire and spend nothing on maintenance in the FFE.

Back