L1 charged and L2 not charging

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Santo9

Hi
My l1 charging work properly and the L2 station didn't work now .

It is an EATON 30 A/240 vlts that work great but since a while maintenance light are always red on the station and indicate " car inside charger have a problem" . And they specified to call your dealer to settle the car charger.

I cut on and off the breaker several time and reset the charging station but the problem get worst and worst over time ...now no more charging
Anybody have similar issue???
Thank you

Resetting the charging station.
You must have the car unplugged when power cycling the charging station. When the charging station powers up it does a self test. If the car is plugged in it may fail the self test.
Procedure for resetting most charging cords and stations.
Unplug the vehicle!!
Remove power to the charging station via unplugging or breaker.
Wait one minute.
Restore power to the charging station.
Wait for the charging station to complete the self test, this should take less than a minute.
Plug in vehicle.

The reason for the long wait for power down is you want enough time for the fault to clear.

Thank you for answer

I will try the public station , it will eliminatethe problem.

For the procedure it is exactly what i did with unplugged car . At the biggining the reset took about 2 minutes and everything work great but with time ( about 1 month ) the service light flashing more and more after reset and the station not charging.

To Jeffand

I will try for the 1 minute delay .

When i reset the station i cut breaker , wait 3 second ,and put power back.

I get you inform
Thank you

I stop the breaker for 8 hours and put the power back . 5 minutes after it look great and ready to start , but i still wait , after 10 minutes a red exclamation point flashing and indicate a problem, this time was not a service problem;

It said cable or wire damage ??
The unit have 10 month old

A low voltage condition may cause the vehicle to have a charging fault. If the voltage going to vehicle drops to much it could cause a charge fault. This would be a safety featchur preventing a possible fire, due to a poor electrical connection.

I call eaton and it could be

Diode on the car charger
Problem with the wire of the charging unit
Problem with the handle or pistol j1772
Problem on the car connector

I will call Ford for inspection of the inside charger and connection and i will try several charging station. Maybe some charging station will work but car inspection should be done to see everything work.

I will post later for FFE user benefit

Yes you are wright

I went to Ford dealer to plug the FFE to their charger.it was perfect.the session start well and i leave the car for 30 mins . No fault or problem.

I speak with someone at the desk to resume the problem and he ask me if the red light was in the car or was in my home charger. He will speak about that to the technicien before any verification.

I think for Ford thr problem will be EATON home charger and for EATON the problem will be the FFE.

Next step will be traying a public charger or another brand . If no problem occur with several charger , EATON could not told me it is the car...........

Stay tuned

For now i reset the charger and nothing happen ( no flashing red light or service light )
I plug the car for a charging session yesterday and today , everything work very fine and the car charged.

I will try other public station saterday , and check if problem happen again.

For inside car charger , if a problem happen there is a light inside the dash indicate that charger malfunction???

Eaton charging station fault indicator lights.
:arrow:
Exclamation point - slow single flash, and charge - slow single flash -- Detected an overcurrent, currently not charging.
Exclamation point - fast double flash, and charge - slow single flash -- Pilot signal error from a dirty connector or damaged cable or from a dirty vehicle inlet connector.
Exclamation point - steady on , and Charge - slow single flash -- Detected a ground fault, currently not charging.

I found this information in the Eaton manual.

Thank you i have this info , thank for post it .

When all those red light come one after after one , the charging station was like a chrismass three and flashing different option .

I think reset the station with the car plugged is not a bright idea .
I did it severaltime

I think closed the garage door on the cable is not a bright idea too
I did it all the time

Leave the charging gun in the snow or under the rain is not a good idea too
I did it all the time

Now , car, cable, and gun are inside the garage and nothing indicate a problem
I hope everything is settle for a couple time.
If station get a problem i will post
Thank for anwer and comments

A happy FFE driver

I try now several public charger and all of them was charging perfectly.

Since the car have been parked in the garage to problem with the eaton charging station desapear and everything worked perfectly now.

incident closed".............. :D

Back