openEVSE with Focus Electric

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbeilman

Has anybody on the forum built and is using a 30A openevse with their FFE? I recently completed this project, performed all the checks/tests multiple times and everything seems to be working as designed and in accordance with the J1772 standards. However, yesterday when I plugged in the car I heard an odd noise I had not heard in the 1.5yrs of ownership. It sounded like a humming/vibration coming from the rear of the car (HV battery relays not closing all the way perhaps?). I unplugged the car as soon as I heard the sound. When I did, it seemed like maybe the plug was not fully engaged. I then plugged it in again with the same result and promptly unplugged it. I plugged it into the 120V ford charger and let that run for a while with no issue. I have heard the cooling fan and pump run before and the noise I heard was not that noise. I had just returned from a 6 mile trip. The temperature outside was about 30°F. The battery charge level was about 70%.

I then performed more follow up tests on the openevse and confirmed that they all checked out. Finding no issue with the EVSE I bravely tried the openevse again and it finished the charge without incident. I did notice the heater and pump ran to warm the battery while charging. I don't believe the issue I ran into is related to the openevse but I wanted to confirm with somebody else who has the same combination of the openevse and the FFE which is why I'm posting here rather than the openevse forum.

Prior to the openevse charger I exclusively used the 120V charger supplied with the car when at home and used level 2 public chargers occasionally, all without incident. I had used the openevse charger a couple times without incident prior to hearing this noise.

sbeilman said:
Has anybody on the forum built and is using a 30A openevse with their FFE? I recently completed this project, performed all the checks/tests multiple times and everything seems to be working as designed and in accordance with the J1772 standards. However, yesterday when I plugged in the car I heard an odd noise I had not heard in the 1.5yrs of ownership. It sounded like a humming/vibration coming from the rear of the car (HV battery relays not closing all the way perhaps?). I unplugged the car as soon as I heard the sound. When I did, it seemed like maybe the plug was not fully engaged. I then plugged it in again with the same result and promptly unplugged it. I plugged it into the 120V ford charger and let that run for a while with no issue. I have heard the cooling fan and pump run before and the noise I heard was not that noise. I had just returned from a 6 mile trip. The temperature outside was about 30°F. The battery charge level was about 70%.

I then performed more follow up tests on the openevse and confirmed that they all checked out. Finding no issue with the EVSE I bravely tried the openevse again and it finished the charge without incident. I did notice the heater and pump ran to warm the battery while charging. I don't believe the issue I ran into is related to the openevse but I wanted to confirm with somebody else who has the same combination of the openevse and the FFE which is why I'm posting here rather than the openevse forum.

Prior to the openevse charger I exclusively used the 120V charger supplied with the car when at home and used level 2 public chargers occasionally, all without incident. I had used the openevse charger a couple times without incident prior to hearing this noise.
The noise you heard was the car heating the battery. With more wattage available it wants to give priority to heating the battery at the beginning of the charge cycle. This is perfectly normal. We hear this noise every day as soon as we plug in to our L2 unit now that the temps are well below freezing.

Thank you for the reply. Does the noise subside within a minute of plugging the car in? I'm wondering if what I heard was water flowing through a control valve as it opened.

sbeilman said:
Thank you for the reply. Does the noise subside within a minute of plugging the car in? I'm wondering if what I heard was water flowing through a control valve as it opened.
Check out this thread for more info: http://www.myfocuselectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2413#p16161

Back