How does the FFE Charge over time..

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmueller065

After reverse engineering the API you're able to do some interesting stuff with it, like seeing what the % battery value does while the car is charging:
http://jamiegeek.myevblog.com/2014/11/22/how-does-the-ffe-charge/

Yes I've noticed when charging my FFE via 240V/30A EVSE that it charges fast up to about 99% then it sits there for quite awhile to reach full 100% like the charging rate slowed down at the end.
Is it taking less power draw from the EVSE during that time (99% -> 100%) too so at least I'm not paying a lot electricity for that last 1% charge?

Another great post JMueller.

Is it possible you are actually looking at the safe zone for charging. In other words - the batteries are never charged to 100%. They are also never depleted to 0%. Haven't a bunch of people shown that there is a big safety buffer around the battery capacity.

The way I would look at it, if fully charged is really 95%, or maybe 90% - you never see the internal resistance of the batteries come into play.

Or maybe the TMS is so good, it pulls heat away from the batteries fast enough that they can charge at a constant rate?

Or that the amount of current going into this battery is small enough per cell that the batteries are really happy all the time?

Don't you enjoy those technical terms - happy batteries?

EVA said:
Or maybe the TMS is so good, it pulls heat away from the batteries fast enough that they can charge at a constant rate?
This could be a possibility given that ambient temps were around 32F. With it being so cold I would imagine that the TMS wouldn't have to work very hard to cool the batteries.

Back