What do you want to know about the Focus Electric?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChargedEVsMag

Hello,

We're scheduling interviews with Ford Execs for an in-depth article on the launch of the Focus Electric, future plug-in models, and how serious they are about EVs.

If there are any details you want to know about those topics, please let us know. We don't want to overlook anything.

Thanks in advance.

CHARGED Electric Vehicles Magazine
ChargedEVs.com

1: Infrastructure is still a weak link. Assuming there is widespread adoption of EVs, it's well understood the utility companies will have to beef up the distribution grid, especially at the final residential step-down transformers. How does Ford plan to assist with this and other infrastructure issues?

2. Battery technology is still a weak link. I'd like to know Ford's predictions -- and adoption strategy -- for storage technologies. For example, do they see a future in Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) batteries or supercaps?

3. (Fun question). What do you predict to be the most exciting or surprising developments in everyday EVs?

I'm sorry if I repeat myself (I posted this elsewhere), but what is the battery warranty going to be? What if it fails before expected lifespan...more specifically: What is the lifespan of the battery? And what is a battery going to cost?

Ford is not responsible for this, but when I receive my Focus, hopefully this Sept-Oct, I may be the only one plugging in to some charge point. How are people going to sort out and monitor the inevitable "hey it's my turn now" issues that will flare up. Will people be given 1 hour slots to charge if there's a line waiting?

Fortunately my daily and weekend commutes all fit within the 75 mile range.

I've lived in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada where it is -40C/F in the winter and there are plugins at every apartment building, shopping mall, and household garage to power the thousands of block heaters. The first owners will have the growing pains to deal with but give it time and the demand for power will create a grid.

mrpalerider said:
I'm sorry if I repeat myself (I posted this elsewhere), but what is the battery warranty going to be? What if it fails before expected lifespan...more specifically: What is the lifespan of the battery? And what is a battery going to cost?

Yes, I would also like to know what is considered end of life of the battery, to require a replacement. For example, if a new battery takes 20 Kwh to fill, and 5 years later it only takes 15, (a 25% loss) would that battery be replaced?

Fyi, here is the Volt battery info:

http://gm-volt.com/2010/07/14/official-chevrolet-volt-battery-warranty-is-eight-years100000-miles/

And here is an article discussing how Nissan claims the battery will last the life of the car in a Leaf:

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1064332_nissan-leafs-battery-pack-should-last-as-long-as-the-car

What does Ford say??? :?:

Yes, I would also like to know what is considered end of life of the battery, to require a replacement. For example, if a new battery takes 20 Kwh to fill, and 5 years later it only takes 15, (a 25% loss) would that battery be replaced?

I posted this in another section of the forum, but, you asked the correct question and Ford doesn't answer it. It will be up to an arbitrator if this happens.

Below is my hand typed copy of the warranty in my FFE's handbook. This answers the question, posed by some, about the warranty of the battery and the guarantee of a minimum capacity being maintained over the 8 year warranty period.

"Note: Lithium-Ion Battery Gradual Capacity Loss

The Lithium-ion battery (EV battery) will experience gradual capacity loss with time and use (similar to all lithium-ion batteries), which is considered normal wear and tear. Loss of battery capacity due to or resulting from gradual capacity loss is NOT covered under the New Vehicle Limited Warranty. See your Owner's Manual for improtant tips on how to maximize the life and capacity of the Lithium-ion batttery."

The following was written by Tom Volek for King 5 News.

http://www.king5.com/on-tv/driving-nw/Ford-Focus-Electric-is-not-like-the-Volt-156397255.html

It came from an interview with Mike Tinskey, the Associate Director of Vehicle Electrification at Ford and he spoke directly about the life of the battery.

Worried About Battery Durability?
Ford isn’t. The pack has a 10-year warranty. They’ve been making hybrids for years now and monitoring the units in taxi fleets, they’ve found them to be much like new after significant use. Their belief is that after 10-12 years of normal use, the battery should still have 80 percent of its original capacity. Ford says that the pack is integral to the car and, much like a gas engine, is not easily replaceable. The thinking is after a dozen years you’ll be tired of the car and will sell it to a college student who just needs a reliable runabout for city use, just like any other 12-year-old car.

I can only assume he messed up his notes because the Ford Battery Warranty reads as follows:

"(4) Your vehicle's unique hybrid / electric components are covered during the Hybrid / Electric Unique Component Coverage, which lasts for eight years or 100,000 miles, whichever occurs first."

What is behind the little plug in the bumper to the left of the grill?
I had to pull it off Tuesday just to see. There is no bolt hole for towing, Just the edge of the black steel framework supporting the radiator, bumper etc. Must be an artifact of a different model.

What happens as you drive the car past the charge showing on the dash to the point of it stoping in the road?
I've seen the yellow 'low charge' light.
Is there a red one that come on next? Does it shout at me?
Does it go into a slow mode (enough power to get off the road)?
Is the car permanently damaged by driving it until it quits?
Can you estimate how far this is from the first yellow warning? (how much fuel in the tank past 'E')?

whitgallman said:
What is behind the little plug in the bumper to the left of the grill?
This is a guess as I did not find it in the Owners Manual. Some cars have a threaded hole in the bumper to insert a "Tow Hook" that would be used to winch car onto a flatbed tow. If so, cover will have a slot to pry off/open, but may be hard on the paint. You could check to see if there is a threaded eyelet in the glovebox or with the Temporary Mobility Kit.

Whit, I have noticed that hole and was told it is for the parallel parking sensor. It is just like the three holes. with sensors, in the back bumper, used for the backup monitor. Our car did not come with parallel park so they simply did not punch the plug out.

whitgallman said:
What happens as you drive the car past the charge showing on the dash to the point of it stoping in the road?
I've seen the yellow 'low charge' light.
Is there a red one that come on next? Does it shout at me?
Does it go into a slow mode (enough power to get off the road)?
Is the car permanently damaged by driving it until it quits?
Can you estimate how far this is from the first yellow warning? (how much fuel in the tank past 'E')?

You get the yellow battery with 15 miles left (10 miles if you are in "My Key" mode?)
Then Red battery at zero and then it stops but no permanent damage is done to the system.

Following up on that battery question; does the battery 'like' being drained as much as possible or near fully charged as much as possible? If I keep my iPhone fully charged all the time then when I work it I only get an hour or so out of it on battery, however, if I drain it to dead and fully recharge it I get about 50% more life. Any comparisons with this battery?

mrpalerider said:
Following up on that battery question; does the battery 'like' being drained as much as possible or near fully charged as much as possible? If I keep my iPhone fully charged all the time then when I work it I only get an hour or so out of it on battery, however, if I drain it to dead and fully recharge it I get about 50% more life. Any comparisons with this battery?

I'm not an expert, but have picked up some tips and tricks from my experiences with my plug-in:

Optimally, batteries do not like to be stressed. They don't like to be charged quickly, nor depleted quickly (ie, full throttle for 50 miles). They don't like to be cold or hot. Like us humans, they like to stay at about 72 degrees F. And they like to sit between 20% and 80% full. So, if you're going to leave it for a few days, 80% charge is a good idea. Likewise, if possible, in normal driving, try not to go below 20% charge. Finally,batteries appreciate gentile driving, rather than full throttle starts and stops.

We are fortunate with the FFE, with its active battery temperature management, as it will tend to keep it near 72 for us. :)

Not that you always have to be very careful. The battery can take a lot of abuse, as it is built for the general public, who doesn't usually think about all these things :) .

George, "try not to go below 20% charge"
Sounds like the batteries still have 20% of their charge left when you first get the yellow light. Supposedly you have 15 miles left beyond the 76, about 20%.

I wonder why they didn't include the parking assist feature, all they needed to do was at least add the front sensor since the rear sensor is already there.

On another note, does it really take almost 20 hours to charge up the battery on 110v?
Has anyone yet timed how long it takes to charge up the car on 110v if the battery was at 30-50% capacity?

whitgallman said:
George, "try not to go below 20% charge"
Sounds like the batteries still have 20% of their charge left when you first get the yellow light. Supposedly you have 15 miles left beyond the 76, about 20%.

Whitgallman, congrats again. I'm still counting on early Fall for Chicago :D

What you said sounds good, and, I can't wait to see that yellow light for myself! By the way, I saw on the Leaf forum that it seems to have an option to stop charging at 80% or 100%. Wondering if FFE has such a thing? Would you still get cell balancing?

Back