Body shop replaced my FFE hood... and I am concerned

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickInAustin

The body shop replaced my FFE hood due to an accident. The bottom side of the new hood looks nothing like the original hood.
I am concerned that the new hood might be heavier and reduce the range of the vehicle. How can I determine if the new one is correct?

The body shop showed me the invoice where they orded CP9Z*16612*B
But the hood has stamped on it "16854" above the numbers "8 7 W2" and also "M9 1180"

The original hood looked like a thin sheet of metal attached to a sparse metal frame.
The new hood appears to have a full sheet of metal on the underside, which is one of the reasons I am concerned about the added weight.

I cannot find any references to ford focus hoods with part number 16854.
Any advice would be appreciated.

I sell parts for a Ford dealer. The hood that was sold for your vehicle is the correct part number for a 2012 to 2014 Focus. It fits all Focuses. Through the years I have noticed that the replacement parts aren't always exactly the same as the original. It may be a little heavier but I do not think the weight would be enough to change your range any. I would not be worried if it were my car.

davidd said:
I sell parts for a Ford dealer. The hood that was sold for your vehicle is the correct part number for a 2012 to 2014 Focus. It fits all Focuses.
I'm sure it fits, but is it possible that the Focus Electric has an alternate hood part?

It is possible that the original hood is different than the specified replacement part. 16612 indicates a hood, if the FFE had a different part number for a hood (it doesn't --I looked) then it would still have the 16612 number in it. The first thing that crossed my mind is that you got an aftermarket hood, which is a common issue, but I don't see an aftermarket hood available through any source I'm familiar with.

I really doubt the weight difference is all that much -- ten pounds would be a lot -- but if that was a concern you should have gotten this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/321547680335?item=321547680335&lgeo=1&vectorid=229466

@RickInAustin

So...I got curious and went out to look at my hood. It is of the exact construction you describe your replacement as being and has the same numbers stamped in it. Mine is a 2014, uncrashed. So you got an "updated" hood as a replacement. How old is your car?

RickInAustin said:
The body shop replaced my FFE hood due to an accident. The bottom side of the new hood looks nothing like the original hood.
I am concerned that the new hood might be heavier and reduce the range of the vehicle. How can I determine if the new one is correct?

The body shop showed me the invoice where they orded CP9Z*16612*B
But the hood has stamped on it "16854" above the numbers "8 7 W2" and also "M9 1180"

The original hood looked like a thin sheet of metal attached to a sparse metal frame.
The new hood appears to have a full sheet of metal on the underside, which is one of the reasons I am concerned about the added weight.

I cannot find any references to ford focus hoods with part number 16854.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Photos would be really helpful here...

I bought my FFE new in July 2014. I went to the ford dealer and talked to the parts department. The FFE hood part number is the same as the part number for a standard Ford Focus. I also looked at the new 2014 FFE they have on the lot. The my new hood matched what is installed on the currently shipped 2014 FFE.

The change caught me by surprise. Thanks. I appreciate everyone's help.
Rick

Back