Modifying Focus Electric Level 1 charger

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kasra

Hi,

I don't know if anyone has already posted a similar topic or not, but I want to know if there is a way that you can mount the level one charger (that comes with the car) from inside the hood and use an extension cord to connect it to the car.

I know the car uses SAE-J1772; is there a way that you can wire this plug from inside the hood (fender)? This way you can directly connect the LVL 1 charger to it and use an extension cord to plug it in to the wall outlet. WHY?

1) The Handle of the charger sticks out of the charging port. I've seen people walking next to the car when it's parked (charging). I had a case that someone's hand bumped into it. What if someone kicks it or breaks it unintentionally?

2) Theft, these chargers are selling for well over $400, in the case of mounting it from inside the hood, the only thing that they can take is the extension wire that is only $20. Nissan Leaf doesn't have this problem and you can do this technique with minor modifications. It always gets the attention of people when something is sticking out from the charge port (you get the point).

Please see the link below, let me know what you guys think or if someone has already done it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-SAE-J1772-YAZAKI-CHARGING-VEHICLE-SIDE-INLET-ASSEMBLY-120V-20A-EV-15-LD-/121472071205?pt=Electric_Vehicle_Parts&hash=item1c484cb625&vxp=mtr

Thanks for your time :)

I don't know, nor would I recommend, trying to "rewire" the charging inlet from inside the hood. Certainly doing something like that would void your warranty.

As for theft when charging in public, I lock my L1 under the hood and run an extension cord to a wall outlet and run the charging cable to the car's inlet. I can close the hood over the two cables (running out the front seam of the hood), it closes fine. Other people have fancier ways (looping the cable through the wheel spokes, creative use of pad locks, driving the front tire over the cable(s), etc.), but I think simply locking it under the hood is the easiest way to secure the unit.

As for handle/inlet "damage" from passers-by, I guess I've never worried about this. Assuming you're parked in an EV parking area, usually the other passers-by are fellow EV owners who probably will have a heightened awareness. That said, you could try mitigating the problem by putting an orange cone beside your car near the inlet, or something else to keep people from getting too close and/or to help them more easily "notice" the charging handle.

One disadvantage of the Ford side entry is that a car pulling into the adjacent spot could bump the handle, or if the cable is not dressed safely away could run over the cable and cause damage.

I use a "long hasp" padlock to secure the cable to some fixed object.

michael said:
One disadvantage of the Ford side entry is that a car pulling into the adjacent spot could bump the handle
Wow! They would have to get awfully close to bump the handle as it is a bit higher than bumper level. If a truck were to pull in next to the car yeah they may hit the handle, but if they are that close they may also hit the rear-view mirror!

Note that the Volt has the charge port (and the Fusion Energi and C-Max Energi) in the same spot.

Right, and Tesla and Rav-4 also on the side, but toward the back.

I actually think someone running over the cable and yanking on the connector is a bigger risk.

Thanks guys for your comments and suggestions. This is something that might happen today, or would never happen. It has happened to me that the someone hit my driver's door and fender (my old car) as she pulled out. Now if that happens while the car is charging, I will be screwed. I'm going to research more about this and see alternative ways to solve the problem.

Does someone know, why non of these electric car companies didn't put this power supply inside the hood as part of the electrical components? Wouldn't it have been easier to just pull the cord out from the port and connect it to a 110V outlet? :)

Again, thanks for your replies :)

I would appreciate photos of creative solutions people have. I have trouble picturing the l1 locked under the hood

How often are you planning on using the included Level 1 EVSE?

In the 18 months I've had the car I can count on one hand how many times I've used it since I got my Level 2 at home.

That's an interesting question about the charging handle sticking out.

I guess you could use the experience here - how many thousands of times have cars been charged in public and that problem has never come up? I can also say, I've never seen anybody reporting a Tesla handle being broken off. If that had happened to somebody, I'm certain they would have mentioned it pretty loudly.

I'd be really slow to change anything with the charging system on the car. Unless you happen to be an engineer or highly skilled in that area. There's a lot of current flowing in that connector.

joejoe2 said:
I would appreciate photos of creative solutions people have. I have trouble picturing the l1 locked under the hood
Open hood.
Place L1 unit on top of the black rubber engine cover.
Run charging handle cable out the "front" of the hood -- plug into car inlet.
Run extension cable (connected to L1 unit) out the front of the hood too -- plug into wall outlet.
Close hood.
L1 unit is now secure until you return.

You'll find some photos of the technique here:

http://www.myfocuselectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1333

kasra - The charger is under the car (approximately where the gas tank is on the ICE). The "convenience cord" is little more than a smart extension cord. The design philosophy is the put all the components that are common to multiple voltage input (voltage step-up, AC rectification and charging management circuits) inside the car and to put the least (un)common components (appropriately sized cable, fault detection with appropriately sized switching circuit,...) outside. And then have a single interface (J1772).

Back