Anyone add a 5V hardwire for an accessory?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Olagon

Just bought a rear view mirror DVR camera combo and want to hard wire to the fuse box. Any advice from anyone who has done this before? I'm assuming the electric car has the same type of 12V electrical systems as the gas version. Thanks!

Yes the FFE has a 12V system very similar to the ICE Focus (in fact much of the dashboard is the same as the ICE Focus and is 12V powered--the main dashboard is the same as in many other Ford's including Edge, Explorer, Taurus, etc.).

My question: Why would a rear-view mirror DVR require 5V and not 12V? (or does it have a "brick" that you bury somewhere and then run your 5V line?) (It just seems odd to me that something made specifically for a car would require a non-automotive-standard power supply.)

Every dash cam I've seen is 5V. They all come with a 12v cigarette plug that converts the voltage. I suppose in theory you could find the power source for the USB sockets and tap in to that. I would have power draw concerns if I were also using the USB (which I intend to do). So, for my dash cam I intend wire a 12v socket off of the existing socket and hide it all under the console or tucked up under the dash somewhere. Since I don't have my car yet, I am making the assumption that the socket switches off with the car.

triangles said:
Since I don't have my car yet, I am making the assumption that the socket switches off with the car.
The 12v accessory ports stay active for awhile after you turn off the car, about 15min or so from what I've seen, but they do eventually turn off.

Looks like the 12V ports even go on when you just open the door. Going to work on hardwiring this over the next couple of months and post pics. Oh, most DVRs that I have seen run at 5V. My Chinese made one has a warning. No over 5V or you burned down car.

Well funny, you all made me look at my dashcam. Roadhawk DC-2 12V input, 12V output on the cigarette adapter. So yes there are dashcams that work on 12V.

I go back and forth on hard wiring and have the camera record constantly. My leaning is, I'd prefer to have it just run when the car is on. Sorry for that silly aside - you've clearly figured out you have to have it on all the time.

If you can get over to the driver's side by the visors - there is a 12V connector at the visor. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure it is switched though.

Hey don't the dome lights have continuous 12V to them? Can't you turn them on and they stay on forever? Not the door activated version, but when you turn them on independent of the doors.

Back