Ford ESP Service Contract availability and cost

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brogult

Has anyone purchased 5-year 75K Premium ESP plan? Any other plan? Can you tell me what it cost and what coverage is provided?

Sorry - no I can't - 3 year lease, makes no sense on the FFE.

Have it on they Focus Titanium ICE. Can't remember for how long or how much it cost.

brogult said:
Has anyone purchased 5-year 75K Premium ESP plan? Any other plan? Can you tell me what it cost and what coverage is provided?
Before you buy one from the dealer check out Flood Ford. They sell the Ford ESP plans online at a much more reasonable cost. Most dealers at least double the cost of such plans when they sell them to customers. Flood's website is www.FloodFordESP.com. Many Fusion Hybrid owners have bought ESPs from them, they're the genuine Ford ESP, unlike alternate plans that some dealers sell.

I didn't get one either given I have a 3 year lease as well but frankly an ESP on any EV makes no sense.

EVs are so mechanically simple that if something doesn't go wrong within the warranty period it is likely it never will. In addition, since the FFE has regenerative brakes it is likely the brakes won't need maintenance for a long time! Even the annual service is: "rotate the tires and check stuff". The only serious maint is a coolant change at 100k miles.

I've heard the argument that the car has a ton of software in it so an ESP is a good idea to make sure your software is kept up to date. I don't buy this: Ford is already working on the next gen of Sync so its likely that there will be no further updates to the MFT software. As for powertrain: Any major updates will likely involve either a recall or a TSB which are free.

If you want to see how simple the FFE is browse through some of the photos linked here:
http://jamiegeek.myevblog.com/2013/09/09/motoring/

You're better off taking the $$ that would go into the ESP and stuffing it into a bank account. That way, if you never use it you still have the money. (Yeah problem is nobody ever does this.)

For buying a contract:
-Although simple, not well known. Mechanics charge by the hour. It took several days to diagnose my battery, and several weeks to replace.
-Although simple, reliability is an unknown. Electronic components do wear out...especially where high current and heat are involved.
-Electronic modules are likely more expensive than mechanical ones.
For not buying a contract:
-The electronic drive components are covered for 8 years 100,000mi. Other drive components good for 5.
-If you car's software works, no need to upgrade. I can't even number the number of computer software upgrades were more trouble than it was worth. If it isn't broken, don't fix it.
-Other non-EV related components are common with a very popular model. Diagnosis and repair of items likely not to exceed the ESP cost.
-The service contract ends at about the time you would need to use it.

ESP contracts are designed to make Ford Money; so on average, you lose if you buy it; however, you can think of it like insurance; albeit expensive. If you think Ford is very wrong on their predicted reliability, then go for it; however, I'll bet they put some serious work into figuring out the reliability of the FFE.

Someone had said there is a 12K mile limit for purchasing an ESP, but I don't see any mention of that on the Flood Ford website. Looks to me like if it's within the original new car warranty all is OK, and even if not ESP is possible.

Anyone have information to the contrary?

In my case, I have a 3 year 58,000 mile lease, and it looks like for about $500 I can get full coverage up to 60K miles. Sounds thinkable.

Back