Steep Incline

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davideos

Has anyone taken an FFE on a steep incline from a dead stop. In Laguna Beach in Southern California, there are a few very steep streets. Technically, I don't think it should be a problem; however, I know the car does start slower when starting up from a dead stop onto an incline. Any experience with something like this? In particular, Mermaid St and 3rd... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsnma0nuFs0

Yeah, if you're on a steep hill (like in San Francisco), the car is much slower to get going than on the flat, but it does get going. It's a little bit of a let-down considering the car is pretty peppy otherwise.

Turn off the traction control and you can smoke the tires. no issue what so ever. The issue is the low rolling resistance tires. Throw a set of sticky tires on and just like the Nissan Leaf you can get close to 1G on the skid pad. This car will out perform any similar gas power car on the hills. It's just a traction issue. I believe ford dials down the torque in the first 20mph anyway because she pulls a lot harder from 30-50 than 0-20. Grip is king if you want to use the torque.
H

I've definitely noticed that the FFE is slower off a start when I'm on an incline instead of on the flat. My commute home from work includes two intersections on steep hills in the first mile, so I notice it everyday.

The past couple of days of heavy rain I've slipped the tires from a start a few times on those hills.

Certainly some of that is pure physics but I wouldn't be surprised if the FFE doesn't detect that you're on a hill and dial down the available torque a little on behalf of the traction control system.

This is one of those circumstances where the Electric's excellent weight distribution works against it; the motor is lighter than an ICE, and the batteries heavier, which moves the center of gravity back.

Back