ST spoiler (replica) installation:

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

studio460

I bought this Ford Focus 2012-14 ST rear spoiler replica from an eBay seller for $150 a few weeks ago. It shipped fast, and came extremely well-packed. To the naked eye, the primer-gray part looked fine. However, after seeing it at the body shop last week after its first coat, it was clear that the part needed additional work to look right. The body shop had to sand and re-finish certain areas of the part, then re-painted it matte-black.

ST-ebay.png

I just picked up the finished part a few hours ago. Here's some quick, not-so-great iPhone photos taken of it while still at work:

ST-1x.jpg

ST-2x.jpg

[Appears completely black, and neutral in color in person.]

So, yes, you can save $550 buying a replica part from eBay, but it's going to take extra work at the body shop to get it to look right. Thankfully, I have a good relationship with a body shop near my work (1st Empire Autobody, Burbank, CA), and got a pretty good deal on the paint job.

Note that the spoiler in the two images below is not the ST spoiler, but these are the only two photos I could find of a white Focus with a black spoiler (so I could get an idea of what my car will look like when installed):

ST-wrong2.png

ST-wrong3.png

Here's some photos of a Shelby ST with what appears to be the stock ST spoiler:

ST-shelby1.jpg

ST-shelby2.jpg

I'm going to attempt the install today. I'm using this thread from focusfanatics as a guide: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=415962 However, unlike the author's, my spoiler did not come with the included hardware that this owner got with his replica part (apparently, from different supplier). I'm hoping to be able to re-use the factory hardware on the new part [edit: all the factory hardware may be re-used on the replica part].

The Torx and socket sizes are different from those described in the focusfanatics thread. I used the following tools today:

tools1.png

• Phillips screwdriver.
• Small slotted screwdriver (to release brake light wiring harness clip).
• Plastic butter knife (to pull the interior trim panel off).
• Torx #20 bit.
• 8mm socket.
• 1/2" drill bit (needed to drill hole for windshield washer hose through back of replica part).

STI3.png

STI5.png

hose1.png

You'll need about 1.25" of 3/16" (ID), windshield wiper hose, and a 90-degree 3/16" union to re-seat the windshield washer line (which is mounted on the brake light). It's just too tight to get a grip onto the factory hose. The short piece of hose and union makes it easy to re-install the third brake light.

• 90-degree, 3/16" vacuum hose union (you only need one, not two).
• 1.25" piece of 3/16" windshield wiper hose.
• Small pieces of weather-strip (x3) to cover unused holes [edit: Home Depot weather-strip is too thick to cover the body holes, preventing the part from fully seating. I re-installed the part using metal HVAC tape instead; however, I did apply the weather strip along the entire length of the spoiler along the bottom].

I'd rate this as a 7.5 in difficulty, mainly because it's hard to find foam-rubber weather stripping that's thin enough. Fitment is compromised with the weather strip that Home Depot/Pep Boys carries--it's too thick. I'll look for some correctly spec'd foam, but in the meantime, though fitment isn't perfect (yet), it's good enough to drive around for awhile.

• Original machine bolts line-up correctly and are the correct thread for the embedded nuts in the replica part.
• There are only three threaded bolts used in the factory application (these are re-used for the replica part).
• There are four self-tapping screws used in the factory application (these are re-used for the replica part).
• There are three body clips in the factory installation that cannot be used on the replica part since they're molded into the factory spoiler.
• Two factory Torx screws are re-used to secure the third brake light.
• Need thinner foam (biggest problem).
• You only need one angle-union, and about 1" of tubing.
• The third brake light looks bad-ass in a black spoiler.

STF2.png

STF1.png

Thanks! I've got to pull the spoiler and see what's inhibiting the sides from fully seating (right is worse than the left). I think the foam tape covering the unused hole is too thick. I'm going to pull it up, make sure the body clip inserted correctly, then apply some HVAC metal adhesive to cover the hole instead of foam.

For the most part I really dislike spoilers or other body accents in contrasting colours. But I must agree that in this case the ST spoiler in black against the white FFE body does look really rather sharp! Personally I’d have used a gloss black but that is another of my dinosaur tastes!! :)

Thanks and Cheers

Carl

cpwl said:
. . . in this case the ST spoiler in black against the white FFE body does look really rather sharp!
Thanks!
cpwl said:
For the most part I really dislike spoilers or other body accents in contrasting colours . . . Personally I’d have used a gloss black but that is another of my dinosaur tastes!
It's funny you say that because I chose Oxford White expressly because I had always planned to add a ton of matte-black accents to the car, thinking they would look cool on a pure-white car (my ICE vehicle is all matte-black, and completely blacked-out). From the get-go, I was hell-bent on getting the ST spoiler and painting it matte-black, starting from the time even before I bought the car. But, oddly, after installing it, I'm really starting to appreciate how nice the factory Ford Focus Electric's spoiler looks!

cpwl said:
Personally I’d have used a gloss black but that is another of my dinosaur tastes!
Yeah, it's a tricky application. Some may feel the matte-finish cheapens the part (and the vehicle), whereas a gloss-black finish would've maintained a more "factory look." It's certainly not for everyone.

cpwl said:
For the most part I really dislike spoilers or other body accents in contrasting colours. But I must agree that in this case the ST spoiler in black against the white FFE body does look really rather sharp!
I think the Focus spoiler is appealing because it is kind of a "stealth" spoiler. It seems more like something integral to the rear window (and perhaps especially when colored black) than something extra "stuck" onto the back of the car (which is how many spoilers appear).

WattsUp said:
I think the Focus spoiler is appealing because it is kind of a "stealth" spoiler.
Well a spoiler of some kind comes with every Focus hatchback regardless of powertrain. Its not like you can delete it from your order.

jmueller065 said:
WattsUp said:
I think the Focus spoiler is appealing because it is kind of a "stealth" spoiler.
Well a spoiler of some kind comes with every Focus hatchback regardless of powertrain. Its not like you can delete it from your order.
Not what I meant.

It just meant, from a design perspective, the standard spoiler(s) are sort of more integrated into the window, so you kinda don't think about it.

So I have to ask who was the eBay vendor for your ST spoiler. I just did an eBay search for Focus ST spoilers and there are quite a variety of vendors, most from China.

Thanks and Cheers

Carl

cpwl said:
So I have to ask who was the eBay vendor for your ST spoiler. I just did an eBay search for Focus ST spoilers and there are quite a variety of vendors, most from China.
I got it here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-14-Ford-Focus-ST-Style-Rear-Roof-Wing-Spoiler-Conversion-Grey-/181412521723?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AFord%7CModel%3AFocus%7CSubmodel%3AST&hash=item2a3d0766fb&vxp=mtr This one ships from the Los Angeles area. Quick to ship, and well-packed. Part may have slight imperfections which will require additional sanding/painting.

Today, I finally removed the adhesive-backed foam (which was too thick) that I used on the two exposed holes in the car's sheet metal. I replaced it with HVAC metal tape, then re-mounted the spoiler, secured the three factory machine bolts through the interior panel, then screwed in the four factory self-tapping screws which attach to the ends of the spoiler. Fitment is now very good. The self-tapping screws aligned to the part's pre-drilled holes, but just barely. The pre-drilled holes accepted the self-tapping screws with a good amount of bite, and now the sides of the spoiler are snug to the top of the hatch.

STI2.png

STN3.png

STN2.png

STN7.png

Overall, I'd give the part a 9.5 on fitment; 7.5 for finish quality; and I'd rate the installation as easy-moderate, but with some difficulty caused due to the too-thick, adhesive-backed foam I used on the first attempt.

Back