Car Shutdown after Back Hatch not closed properly

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Better 12v battery management would be an improvement. The car can detect when the 12v battery charge is getting low and before its low enough that it won't start or operate essential functions like power doors, etc. the car should just auto charge it from the HV battery, like if its been sitting for days. That would auto-maintain the 12 battery charge even better than in an ICE vehicle if they did that.

That's a good idea and I think that could be done, but I think the reason they didn't do that is to preserve the HV battery. For instance, consider a perfect storm...the 12V battery is going bad and won't hold a charge, the High Voltage battery is low, and the car sits for a long time. If this scenario, the HV battery would be depleted by trying to keep the 12V battery charged.

A variant could be to limit the amount of energy it will pump into the 12V battery before it gives up and lets the 12V battery die provided that the HV battery is above 10%. Data should also be put on the attention lights on the instrument panel indicating low 12V battery voltage and a notice to replace it.

Just wishful thinking...but with a good 12V battery and proper maintenance, the problem can be avoided.

davideos said:
That's a good idea and I think that could be done, but I think the reason they didn't do that is to preserve the HV battery. ...
Definitely there is room for improvement.

It does seem kinda silly that a car that is totally reliant on its 12V battery couldn't have some way to keep it charged (as davideos says, perhaps only to some "limit" of draining the HV battery), or at least have an "emergency" mode where it can somehow use the power stored in the HV battery to "self-jump" a drained 12V battery.

Fwiw, even the Tesla Model S has a 12V battery (used in a similar way to the FFE's). And, apparently, it has 12V battery issues similar to the FFE too:

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...issues-(error-messages-car-charging-problems)

Back