MFM iPhone app now has push notifications (which don't work)

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WattsUp

So, I noticed there was a new version of the MyFord Mobile app available on my iPhone last night (version 2.0.33). Feeling adventurous, I went ahead and updated.

There don't seem to have been any real outward changes to the app, but one of the update notes said "push notifications" were now supported. Okay, so I turned on "push notification" for the "fully charged" event (and turned off my previously-configured text notification) and waited for my charge to finish. I also made sure my iPhone was configured to display the app's notifications.

But, when the charge was done, I did not receive a push notification on my iPhone. Nothing. It has been hours now.

Anybody else seeing the new push notifications actually work? Or, is this more crapware shoveled at us by Ford?

I have not previously been able to update my notifications on the web browser. I'll have to try it again and check it out. Our iPhones are set to automatically download updates so it's possible that we already have this update installed. MFM has been working smoothly for me today. We were both out and I used the app to remote start the car a few times as well as to lock/unlock when needed.

hybridbear said:
I have not previously been able to update my notifications on the web browser.
You can also configure the MFM notifications in the phone app itself.

However, the option for "push notification" appeared on the MFM website for me, so I can set it either in the app or website.

Well, on my second charge after enabling the push feature, I did receive a push notification when the charge was complete.

Perhaps the notifications only work when the charge starts with the notification configured? (Previously, I turned on the push notifications after the charge had started.)

The only thing that doesn't seem to be working now is sounds. I have the MFM notification configured (on my iPhone) to make a sound, but no sound was made when the notification occurred. It simply appeared on the screen.

Perhaps you just have to give it time :) After a few iterations it will work just fine :)

(Yeah I know I write software too: it should just work, but I frequently find that iOS and MFM are very non-deterministic!)

WattsUp said:
Well, on my second charge after enabling the push feature, I did receive a push notification when the charge was complete.

Perhaps the notifications only work when the charge starts with the notification configured? (Previously, I turned on the push notifications after the charge had started.)

The only thing that doesn't seem to be working now is sounds. I have the MFM notification configured (on my iPhone) to make a sound, but no sound was made when the notification occurred. It simply appeared on the screen.
Obvious question: was your iPhone on silent at the time?

Glad to hear that the push notifications are working. I find the text messages to be rather annoying since it doesn't show all texts from MFM as one conversation, but rather each text comes from a different number, so I think I will disable texts and try push notifications.

Push notifications are working for me. Now I'll test things out over the next few days to see if I like them better than text message notifications.

hybridbear said:
Obvious question: was your iPhone on silent at the time?
No, it wasn't. I checked beforehand because I wanted to hear the notification. I'll keep trying.

hybridbear said:
I find the text messages to be rather annoying since it doesn't show all texts from MFM as one conversation, but rather each text comes from a different number ...
Agreed.

jmueller065 said:
Note that if you go into settings->notifications->My Ford Mobile sound is enabled independently from the other options (not within the app itself).
That's where WattsUp was commenting that sound was on but no sound was heard. My iPhone also has sound turned on in the iPhone settings menu.

hybridbear said:
jmueller065 said:
Note that if you go into settings->notifications->My Ford Mobile sound is enabled independently from the other options (not within the app itself).
That's where WattsUp was commenting that sound was on but no sound was heard. My iPhone also has sound turned on in the iPhone settings menu.
That's right... the notification sound (for the MFM app) was on, and my phone was not on silent. I'll try again, tho.

Has anybody (with an iPhone) yet heard a notification sound with their MFM push notification?

One thing to note is that Push Notifications will not appear if the phone is off. Overnight my phone was off and when I turned it on this morning I received the text message that the car was fully charged but there was no push notification.

That seems really odd: since the app just tells iOS about the notification--its up to iOS to make a sound or not.

Perusing the Apple developer documentation I don't really see how an app can say "make a sound" or not.

Ever since I turned off the push notification for "charge complete" I stopped getting text messages when the charge is complete even though the text message box is still checked. I have tried toggling that check box but the text message notifications don't come back. MFM also perpetually shows "Sync Pending..." for me when I open the notification settings screen.

Back