Nissan Leaf vs Ford Focus Electric

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klusters

Hi all,

We have a Nissan Leaf and were interested in adding a second EV to our stable. I've read a lot about the benefits the FFE has over the Leaf (faster charging, battery thermal management) and the weaknesses (tighter interior/slightly smaller cargo, heavier). But one thing I am still trying to figure out is which one would win in a real world range comparison between the two. The FFE is heavier, and more powerful, with a slightly smaller battery (23KW vs 24kW) yet its EPA range rating is slightly longer. But maybe its regen is more efficient, or the battery temp management improves efficiency and thus range? One article that did test both seemed to indicate that the Nissan Leaf is the winner by a long shot. Anyone do a head to head comparison or know of some definitive tests on the issue? Seems to me that since these are the only two real BEV options on the market that one can buy right off a dealership, that someone would have done a test to see who the range king is...

Or if anyone if you have driven both, I would love to hear your reasons as to why you chose the FFE.

thanks in advance

Jimbo
2012 Nissan Leaf Blue
charging at 110V
NJ

klusters said:
Or if anyone if you have driven both, I would love to hear your reasons as to why you chose the FFE.

Jimbo,

I cannot say who the range king would be. I have driven both the Leaf and the Focus. The biggest deciding factor for me was that the Focus drives like.. well.. a car. The Leaf.. not so much. It feels more like a Prius.. or some other transport that is desperately trying to be extra green. In fact, I would argue Ford went a bit too far trying to make the car feel normal by including creep (the car moves forward when you take your foot off of the brake). Having never owned an automatic that took some getting used to. But I digress...

I would encourage you to take a drive a Focus EV and I suspect you will see what I mean. At least the first part. :)

Regards,
Neal

Thanks Neal,

I've driven the FFE and , like most, think it handles better than the Leaf. I am surprised there isnt a more indepth head-to-head comparison of the two, either from some of the established car magazines or from buyers who are interested in which car comes out on top. Afterall in the EV domain, range is king.

There's at least one ex-Leaf owner (posted as wiltingleaf on MNL; got a buyback from Nissan owing to degradation) who swapped it for an FFE, so they should be the best bet for a comparison, until one of the auto mags does one.

For my reviews most of the numbers looked close enough to not make much difference. And while I do not mind an ev that says "look at me I'm electric" I did not want a car that says "I am ugly as he'll". Sorry but that is what I think of the leafs. Everyone is different and we all have different taskes, so please take no offense to my person opinion.

I did not drive the Leaf as my wife just doesn't like the way it looks. A friend has looked into both and he is leaning toward the Leaf becasue it is boxy and carries a lot of stuff and he wants to advertise 'electric car'. The FFE is just like a 'normal' car in how it looks and how it drives. We did drive the Mitsubishi and it was terrible. It was like a golf cart, felt it would be dangerous in the highway. While my wife likes the efficency and quiet of her FFE, I appreciate what a good car it is, good acceleration (electric torque come thru there!), solid thunk when the doors close, comfortable seating and general ergonomic layout. I enjoy driving it regardless of it being electric.

yakers said:
I did not drive the Leaf as my wife just doesn't like the way it looks. A friend has looked into both and he is leaning toward the Leaf becasue it is boxy and carries a lot of stuff and he wants to advertise 'electric car'. The FFE is just like a 'normal' car in how it looks and how it drives. We did drive the Mitsubishi and it was terrible. It was like a golf cart, felt it would be dangerous in the highway. While my wife likes the efficency and quiet of her FFE, I appreciate what a good car it is, good acceleration (electric torque come thru there!), solid thunk when the doors close, comfortable seating and general ergonomic layout. I enjoy driving it regardless of it being electric.

Well said, Yakers. Pretty well sums up my feelings as well. The argument can cut both ways, but I personally feel having a global car platform with overall higher production is the better approach to electric than a purpose-built platform. There are so many aspects that go into building a car that I don't want one designed for a niche, unknown market at this point. Corners are cut, sacrifices are made, etc...the bean counters are watching after-all . The downside of the argument is weight and space, but with the way the FFE drives, handles, and is efficient, those are two compromises I can live with for a more solid car all-around. Not advertised as electric/hybrid/green is huge for me.

Hello,
After a lot of research and EV comparisons ( including many test drives on the Leaf), I am happy to report we went in for our Ice Storm Ford Focus Electric. The car is lovely, with graceful handling, and the recent lease incentives from Ford are certainly helping.
Love, love, love the styling and comfortable cabin.
So financially and aesthetically, a very good decision.
I have to mention the rather jerky handling on the Leaf, although it did have more trunk space. But comparing 143 h.p. to the Leaf's 103, the FFE wins outright.

Ice Storm 2014 FFE

I have always had a problem getting around the syling of the Leaf. I was very close to buying one then I learned more about the FFE. I am so happy with my FFE. Fast, quiet, luxurious, it looks great. The size is perfect - nimble, easy to park but roomy even enough for my full drum set. I can't find any real fault with the car - love, love love

It drives me nuts how many people buy a Leaf because they want an EV and think that Leaf and Tesla are the only ones available. Ford oh Ford....you have such a good product, why don't you seriously sell them.

My wife and I displayed our Fusion Energi and Focus Electric at the National Drive Electric Week event this past Saturday at Atlantic Station in Atlanta. My wife remarked on the number of Leaf owners who stopped to talk who said that they wished that they had bought an FFE and who said that when their lease was up they were getting an FFE. Battery degradation in the Leaf was the chief complaint. The FFE's interior and handling were second. Several said that they didn't know about the FFE when they bought.

I had my heart set on a Leaf, partially because I like its quirky looks and mainly for its CHAdeMO charger. Unfortunately, the five dealerships I went through gave me horrible prices. I "settled" on the Ford and am very happy with it. It drives better. The standard features are better (stereo, app access, etc.). The liquid-cooled battery is nice to have, though not terribly meaningful on a three-year lease. While there are times when I wish I had the Leaf's CHAdeMO charger and trunk space, I'm enjoying the Focus Electric.

Gigi said:
My wife and I displayed our Fusion Energi and Focus Electric at the National Drive Electric Week event this past Saturday at Atlantic Station in Atlanta. My wife remarked on the number of Leaf owners who stopped to talk who said that they wished that they had bought an FFE and who said that when their lease was up they were getting an FFE. Battery degradation in the Leaf was the chief complaint. The FFE's interior and handling were second. Several said that they didn't know about the FFE when they bought.

I've met about 3 LEAF owners that said similar things when I told them about the FFE.

Really the only thing the LEAF has over the FFE IMO is folded down seats cargo room.

I've 'sold' so many LEAFS, at least two Model Ss. I really want someone I know to get an FFE.

ElSupreme said:
I've 'sold' so many LEAFS, at least two Model Ss. I really want someone I know to get an FFE.

I've "sold" seven Volts and a RAV-4 EV. Likewise, I really want one of my friends to get an FFE but I can't swing it. Even the family who bought three Volts...you'd think they could deal with one of them being a BEV, but nope...too apprehensive...?? And the amazing thing about Volt drivers is they are so proud of never needing to use gas. With an FFE they could double their range and halve their charging time.

I'm working on the ones who got the RAV EV to dump their ICE and replace it with an FFE. The RAV range is sufficient for essentially everything they do short of planned trips, for which a rental would be a fine solution.

Anytime I talk a friend out of a Leaf or a Mercedes I'm happy...

Here is an excellent (albeit a bit dated ) review from the New York Times of the lovely FFE:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/06/automobiles/autoreviews/the-battery-driven-car-just-got-a-lot-more-normal.html?pagewanted=all&module=Search&mabReward=relbias%3Aw%2C%7B%222%22%3A%22RI%3A15%22%7D

The pictures are amazing!

I have been driving a Nissan Leaf for the past three days because my FFE is in shop for SSN. I can say that I am glad to have bought the FFE. When I was deciding to by EV, I reject Leaf purely based on the looks of it. But now after driving it, the Cluster interface is confusing and looks cheap. Ford has a done a much better job of presenting the right information to the users in much more user friendly way.

mdashali said:
Ford has a done a much better job of presenting the right information to the users in much more user friendly way.
And a much classier way... I love the way the FFE displays look. Simple, clean, customizable.

klusters said:
We recently went through our own thorough evaluation of both the Leaf and the Focus. The car will be my primary commuter (ca 65-70 mi round trip, no charging at work) in Atlanta, GA. Here's why we chose to buy the Focus (yes, we went "all in"):

1) Crash test winner by a long shot.
2) Battery thermal management = capacity loss is not an issue (critical for my commute).
3) Asthetics. Either you like the Leaf or you don't. We don't.
4) Build quality/engineering. Better on the Ford. Helps it's based on solid ICE vehicle.
5) Handling. It's FUN to drive.

EPA range for both cars is similar enough that the differential was not part of our decision making. Battery capacity has a far larger impact on range than what the EPA has to say. My commute is at the outer limits of the rated range. A small loss of capacity will render the car useless for my needs. Needless to say, the battery capacity challenges the Leaf has had didn't inspire confidence.

Cargo capacity is a non-issue for us. This is my commuter. If we need to carry lots of things or people, we have other vehicles that can do that.

Have fun deciding!

Jenny

It bums me out each time someone gets a leaf because they had no idea the FFE even exists.. Shame on you Ford for not pushing it the way Nissan does the leaf or GM the volt

And as Jen said...based on an established ICE vehicle. That's one
Reason I went with the FFE...my daughter had a Focus that was a very
Good car

When people criticize because it's a compliance car, I don't understand the logic. Each compliance car is an EV on the road in place of the equivalent ICE. GOOD!!!

An acquaintance I know bought a Leaf. He knew I had an EV but didn't ask me about it. When he was talking to me about his recent acquisition, he noted that he thought I owned a Volt. :shock:

On one side, I'm glad I drive a more unique car; but on the other, dealer support isn't the best and even 3rd party accessories are few due to low FFE volume.

Back