For more rear storage, ditch the inserts...both of them.

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimB_FFE

Shortly after acquiring my FFE, I removed the Cargo Management System. That greatly improved the versatility of the rear storage area. Now shopping bags actually fit.

It wasn't long after that, I realized that the foam insert that held the Tire Mobility Kit and travel charger was taking up valuable space as well. The challenge there was to keep the added contents from rattling around back there. The solution was to line the hard plastic well with a chunk of indoor-outdoor carpeting. Then I could stuff all kinds or extra goodies back there and not give up any space in the active area.

With insert:
Travel charger
Tire Mobility Kit

Without insert:
Travel charger
Tire Mobility Kit
50ft 12 AWG extension cord
Fire extinguisher
Tool kit
Cyalume glow sticks (10)
Tire plug kit (Dynaplug)
Tire pressure gauge
Gloves
Motorcycle tie down
Padlock and cable (to secure the travel cord)
Towel
Front license plate and frame (Still need a way of attaching it on the spot.)

IMG_5460.JPG

Here is a link to the rest of the photos:
https://picasaweb.google.com/102324539916158885601/FFE_Trunk?authkey=Gv1sRgCJSj076x0oewag

If you're not feeling the carpet as a trunk liner, a simple cloth shopping bag about the same size should work as well. The key here is to ditch that space wasting foam.

I also removed the three rear headrests as that makes folding the seats down so much quicker. Also improves visibility.

Like you I noticed the same thing fairly quickly. I didn't bother to line mine with anything and haven't noticed any rattling, but its got enough stuff crammed in there that there really isn't any room for it to move.

It took me about 3 days to figure out that the cargo management system had to go. That was after things kept falling out of the rear hatch every time I opened it. I don't know who would design a cargo management system with a top that angles down towards the hatch.

Once you remove the cargo management system, a whole cart of groceries can fit in the back of the FFE. Maybe they should leave out the cargo management system that serves no useful purpose and include the homelink again.

I left the lower storage compartment (for the charger and compressor) in place.

I must be the odd man out: I have both in my FFE and leave the "flap" in the raised position. This leaves a large flat floor across the top of the battery and the "storage management system". I can easily fit two folding chairs there, and stow other stuff below the flap--drove around today with a propane tank under the flap.

No joke. And just think, they didn't place batteries in that space for safety reasons :shock:

I have a few of the tall bottles for our travel trailer and occasionally take them in my truck to get refilled - and drive very carefully when I do.

JimB_FFE said:
I also removed the three rear headrests as that makes folding the seats down so much quicker. Also improves visibility.

Excellent job and tips.
I just got my own Oxford White 2014 FFE delivered right to my home garage from a Ford dealer today.
Been playing with everything to maximize cargo space all afternoon - I also took out that "cargo management system" and lowered the rear seats.

I was able to easily take off the two side rear headrests, but unable to get the middle rear one off.
I can adjust the middle rear seat headrest up or down, but can't get it completely off!
Actually the middle rear seat headrest acts like the front seat headrests in that way, while the two side rear headrests can easily come off and on, but that middle one keeps the one seat from going down completely flat!

Is there a trick for that middle rear headrest, that you figured out to remove it easily without damage?

Glad you asked. Lift the headrest as high as it will go using the same method as you did with the outer ones, pressing the button on the black part on top of the seat. Facing the rear of the car, there's a secret release button on the right side black thing for the center head rest. The recessed button faces the part where the center belt exits the top of the seat back.

IMG_6842.JPG

Another tip: When the seat bottoms are folded up and forward they can still interfere with the folding down the rear seat backs to the flat position. Instead of adjusting the front seat back angle to upright position, you can just push forward on the rear seat bottoms briefly to allow the rear seat back to drop to the flat position. I've seen a lot of FFE owners who didn't realize they can flip the seat bottoms up.

Photo%2520Oct%252020%252C%252015%252024%252006.jpg

Full album:
https://picasaweb.google.com/102324539916158885601/FFE_Cargo_Mode?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Whoa, I had no idea the seat bottoms folded up like that. You're right, people probably don't realize that. I'm guessing it does the same thing on the ICE Focus. Thanks.

It works both ways. If you're in a hurry and don't need a perfectly flat load floor, just leave the seat bottoms down and fold the backs forward.

When you want to maximize space and need the flat surface, fold 'em up. You have to yank upward pretty hard on the rear edge of the seat bottoms to get them to unlatch. The latch is just a detent. There is no release catch to activate.

Excellent photos and tips on getting the most cargo area.
Any suggestions on where do get a mini "moving blanket" like you used back there?
Looks like a good color too for that...

JimB_FFE said:
This stuff should work and you can trim it to fit.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003NKHOSU

Thats a 15footx4foot piece?
Is that more than big enough for the area covered?

How about this one? Its a little smaller carpet 10feet x 4feet.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058P6RP4/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=

Could use some to cover the rear seat area too for protection?

Thanks for the pics of folding down the rear seats & removing the headrests. We're going camping this weekend and will likely want to fold down the rear seats for storage while driving to the campground.

If you fold down both seats, there's more than enough room for all the gear for two people.

If you fold down only the left seat, you can fit three people and all the gear, but it's challenging and the car will be very full.

JimB_FFE said:
If you fold down both seats, there's more than enough room for all the gear for two people.

If you fold down only the left seat, you can fit three people and all the gear, but it's challenging and the car will be very full.
We're going camping with another couple but we're each bringing our own car. When we leave the campground to go places we'll put all four of us in one car.

Back