In-car notifications

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abelgoddard

I was looking through the settings in the car a few days ago, and happened on one that was for text messages. It gave a few different sound options. My question to the group is: Has anyone had the car play the incoming text chime? I never have. Until I saw the setting, I didn't know it should.

I have made and received calls, and the car will play the actual assigned ringtone that I have assigned to various contacts, but I've never had the text alert. Any ideas about it? Experience with it? I couldn't see any reason that my alerts weren't playing.

EVA said:
I think it is limited to Android (reading text messages to you and responding). The whole text message thing doesn't work with iPhones.
I beg to differ, and so does Ford:
http://support.ford.com/sync-technology/how-to-allow-ios-text-messaging-sync-myford-touch

Of course the car will only read text messages from an iPhone, it won't allow you to send them. This feature has worked for me for both an iPhone and an Android phone. (In fact when we discovered how to do it my son spent an entire drive somewhere sitting in the back seat texting strange stuff to my phone so he could hear the car read it back to us..laughing hysterically.)

Thanks for that link! I will follow those steps and see if I can get them working. Sounds like I should be able to.

The key is turning it on in the iPhone settings for that Bluetooth device. Then it should work. It's not instant, I believe you have to restart the car so that the phone disconnects and reconnects before it will work. One of the reasons I haven't updated to iOS8 yet is a fear that this feature will be lost. Since so far no one has reported losing it I'll probably update my phone to iOS8 sometime next week.

Text messaging is one of the best features of MFT IMO. Even though it can only read them to you from the iPhone and not reply like on an Android phone.

EVA said:
I think it is limited to Android (reading text messages to you and responding). The whole text message thing doesn't work with iPhones.

Well WindowsPhone allows you to speak texts and it reads texts as well. Part of the Bluetooth functionality of WinPhone in general.

Back