Value Charge is Not working

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCbayarea

I just leased ( two week ago ) a 2014 FFE.

I did set up value charge from 11.00 PM to 7 AM. I set it up inside car, on myfordmoble.com and on app on my phone.
I synced it all.

However, when you plug in at at time, it just keep charging. Actually, it is a funky behavior. Once in a while, it does not charge, but then it start charging at a random time.

I checked clock setting, time zoen etc.

My expectation is that it will not charge at that time.

I am using 120 V for charging.

Any one know how to fix it ? Any ideas ? it has been frustrating.

I too had illogical Value Charging. Emailed Ford 4 times- each time they wanted more info- no solution. My workplace installed a Level2 so now I don,t need to fool with it. Sorry & good luck...

What was your state of charge when you plugged in? If you are below a certain point it will charge automatically regardless of value charge time. As to the random charge start, I have no idea why it would do that. Good luck.

Peace,

Fr. Bill

Sadly value charging doesn't appear to work with Level 1 charging. The problem seems to be that a complete charge will typically take longer than the value charge setting you set so the car just charges all the time.

frbill said:
What was your state of charge when you plugged in? If you are below a certain point it will charge automatically regardless of value charge time. As to the random charge start, I have no idea why it would do that. Good luck.

Peace,

Fr. Bill

It is roughly 20-40 miles.

Value Charging also appears to have issues when your cheapest ($) period crosses midnight. When we first got the Focus Electric we were using L1 charging. To make it work I had to creatively set up my value charge windows. I set it to $$ from 10:00 pm to midnight, $$$ from midnight to 1:00 am and then $ from 1:00 am to 8:00 am. Since the 7 hours from 1-8 was often not long enough, the car would start charging at 10:00 pm and charge until midnight. It would then stop charging from midnight to 1:00 and then resume charging. If I set the all the periods to $ it had issues.

Thanks. I read it at few other forums and concluded that value charge is not working the way it should work. It is strange, unreliable , and unpredictable.
I know the electricity bills might go high especially if you are in plan like my plan ( EVA plan from PGE - cheap electricity form 11-7AM)

I just bought a low tech solution for $15. I bought a off the shelf PLUG IN Timer form my local hardware store. It is working great. You just have to plug it in before the Level 1 charger and it the job ( ON and OFF at certain times).
Now I am in default mode ( not value charge mode)

This is what i bought: Intermatic TN311 15 Amp Heavy Duty Grounded Timer ( this is mechanical timer) . There are more sophisticated Digital Plug In Timer.

If you consider this options, please make sure that "TIMER" has heavy duty ratings i.e. 120V, 15 Amp and close to 1800 Watts.

I wish ford could have fixed such a simple problem for FFE users..

Back