Charging at dealerships?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good question. I'd like to do a trip to Owatonna for work in the Focus Electric and could only make it if I could stop and charge somewhere during my drive.

The best advice for dealers, especially if you know which ones you'll be driving by for a trip is to simply call them:
Hey I'll be driving by on my way to XYZ and have a Focus Electric; do you mind if I stop by for a quick charge?

I've had great luck with dealers. Oddly, I have different advice from JMueller - just show up. It is hard to tell somebody NO that is standing in front of you smiling and asking if you could please use their charger (it would help so much you are in real need). Generally people like to help other people. On the phone it is easy to say no. If you had a cute kid with you, that would help a lot. Make them cry if the person says no.

Granted, this isn't with the FFE, but I think it would play the same way. I've charged the Tesla at a BMW and Nissan dealer. Both places were so happy to help. Almost everybody in the shop came out to look at the car. Hotels have all done back flips to find a place to charge - the maintenance guy is usually so happy to help.

I think you will get the same response with the FFE. You mean Ford has an electric? Can I look at it?

Do have a plan B in case they don't let you charge. Plugshare is your best friend. Then be sure to post a good review of the place on Plugshare.

Another thing to think about: Campgrounds.
If you have a portable level 2 with the right plug (or adapter to the right plug): NEMA 14-50 if I'm not mistaken; you can plug in there and get full charging. Most campgrounds have 50A sockets for the larger RVs with two A/C units.

jmueller065 said:
Another thing to think about: Campgrounds.
If you have a portable level 2 with the right plug (or adapter to the right plug): NEMA 14-50 if I'm not mistaken; you can plug in there and get full charging. Most campgrounds have 50A sockets for the larger RVs with two A/C units.

I intend to do just that. However I'm finding it hard to locate a campground where I need it with a 50A hookup. I'm finding about 25% of the campgrounds where I'm looking have 50A hookups. Or I should say I can confirm this on their website. Others may have them but don't advertise. One place that I emailed and in the perfect location for a charge stop said they only have 120V 30A hookups. I wasn't making any plans yet but just exploring where I might want to go and how to get there. I'm finding a big hole in my range that would necessitate a campground and/or charging at multiple nissan dealers. I would just show up but if they say no I would have no plan B. I wonder if their L2's are 3.3kW or 6.6kW... I talked to my local nissan dealer and he said their charger is available 24/7. However that was when I was looking at buying a leaf. I didn't know if other nissan dealers were like this.

triangles said:
However I'm finding it hard to locate a campground where I need it with a 50A hookup. I'm finding about 25% of the campgrounds where I'm looking have 50A hookups.
Wow. Its been my experience that the vast majority of campgrounds we've stayed at (using our camper, not the EV) have had 50A service (not that we need 50A but I notice the plug).
You may find a camping directory site to be useful (like Woodalls). I usually use http://www.rvparkreviews.com--its user sourced and shows if a campground has 50A service or not, however it is crowd sourced so may not be that accurate. Here is a link to the KOA in Perrysburg:
http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/Ohio/Perrysburg.html

I met a guy who travelled huge distances in an EV. He said to check for welding shops...said they always have a high power outlet. He carried an Aerovironment wall unit with him, just added an input cord and plug

Triangles - don't show up at a dealership when they are closed. You can see from plugshare a lot of them turn off their chargers when they are closed. Different story if their hook up is ChargePoint. You can also get a hint from the plugshare listing if they say for Nissan only.

Good luck with your trip.

Careful with the welding outlets - some of them can be really funky weird Nema plugs.

My Dealer leaves their EVSE on 24/7. I used it alot with my Fusion Energi. The thing is now I really don't need it because the FFE has more than enough range to get me around. I just finished a 200 mile round trip using a campground to charge up in the middle of the trip. The campground folks were very accommodating and I charged going and returning. I guess each place you go to will be different.

Peace,

Fr. Bill

I'm curious about these closed dealerships. I've never seen a closed dealer that didn't completely block off the entrance to the lot - how are you getting to the plug? I can't really picture it being at the street...

Abelgoddard said:
I'm curious about these closed dealerships. I've never seen a closed dealer that didn't completely block off the entrance to the lot - how are you getting to the plug? I can't really picture it being at the street...
Few of the Ford dealers that I have visited around here have a fence to block access to the lot when closed. Most dealerships just have open lots with no fencing.

Most of the dealers I've asked turn off their charging stations when closed. I think they are worried about locals sponging off of them every night.

Back