For Illinois - EVSE Installation Rebate

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EVA

The Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity is starting back up the Fall 2014 Illinois Electric Vehicle Infrastructure Rebate Program.

This is a rebate of around 1/2 the cost to install a charging station. (Completely different from the Illinois rebate for buying an electric car) If you did the install on or after August 29, 2013 and you used a certified contractor.

The charging station doesn't have to be public, it can be for your own use. It does require a J1772 connector. Level 1 can used, the EVSE has to be hardwired in (can't use the portable Ford charger).

Back in April they stopped this program. I'm bummed because they ended this program a few weeks before I did the installation at my home.

Here is the overall website:
http://www.illinois.gov/dceo/whyillinois/KeyIndustries/Energy/Pages/ev.aspx
It makes for really fun reading! Not at all, it is long and convoluted.

If you might qualify for a rebate, they changed the rules to use only certified installers.
Here is the list of installers in Illinois:
http://www.icc.illinois.gov/utility/Certified.aspx?type=25

I used Kapital Electric, and I'm glad to see they are certified.
I would guess a certified installer would probably do a better job than somebody not certified. So maybe use electricians off that list?

The rebate applications will be opened up later in the month. I'm subscribed to an email list that sends me updates. There was a spot on the website that allowed you to sign up for updates (I'm not special).

It would sure be nice to get this, but I live in an area without a certified installer :cry: . Not to mention it looks like a bureaucratic nightmare to get right. Oh well, I hope that my vehicle rebate goes through, that will be more than enough for me.

Peace,

Fr. Bill

The vehicle rebates are a no brainer. That is a gimme.

The only thing you have to be aware of on the vehicle rebate - they only process checks twice a year. And there is a deadline for each time in the year. If you miss the deadline, you are put in the next pool. So it could be over 6 months to get the check. The first one I got took almost 10 months to get. The second one I got in about three months.

The good news about that car rebate, they are now processing the claims a lot faster. I think my second check came in about three weeks after the start of processing.

Check the website for the deadlines and you should get the check around 3-6 weeks after that date.

Well darn on having no certified installers. It can't hurt to send in the form anyway along with a note that there are no certified installers where you live. They might make an exception.

They were kind of stupid about the program early on. A couple of Tesla owners got rebates (they installed Nema 10-50 outlets, no EVSE). Then the state pushed back. Several people argued really hard trying to get them to do the rebate. The state dug in their heels. And made a few Tesla owners angry.

Now the site says it has to be a J1772 connector. Oddly, you can't install one of those Chamdeo (or whatever they're called) chargers either.

EVA said:
Now the site says it has to be a J1772 connector. Oddly, you can't install one of those Chamdeo (or whatever they're called) chargers either.
That almost sounds like a backhanded effort by the local car dealers to slap Tesla for direct sales.

(Its unlikely anyone would put any sort of fast DC charger at home; you simply don't have the feed for it.)

jmueller065 said:
EVA said:
That almost sounds like a backhanded effort by the local car dealers to slap Tesla for direct sales.

(Its unlikely anyone would put any sort of fast DC charger at home; you simply don't have the feed for it.)

Not sure it is run by the car dealerships (don't think that group downstate has anything to do with car dealers). I think the owners that complained about not getting a rebate soured them. In the end, how could they control that the electrical outlet somebody was putting in was for a car or a dryer? I could see a bit of cheating going on. A J1772 makes it for a car, nothing else.

Then again, you could be right about the dealers. They are the ones who benefit from the exclusive program.

Back