why remote start?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only reason I can think of is to pre-condition the cabin. I don't use it nor do I use go-times, but I think that is the only reason you would want to use it.

I use remote start all the time in weather extremes: In hot weather its nice to get into a cooled cabin, and in polar vortex cold weather its really nice to get into a 70+ degree cabin.

I also use go-times, especially in the winter: Heating the car up to 85F before going to work when its <0F out really helps--and will melt the snow of the windshield if its parked outside. The picture in the following post is the car at the go-time all heated up with the windows clear:
http://jamiegeek.myevblog.com/2013/12/11/another-weather-related-observation/

In addition, if you remote start the car it will precondition the battery to operating temps as well.

epaminondas said:
Do you use the ap to use the remote start?
Almost exclusively. We usually are remote starting when too far away to use the key fob. Remote starting with the fob is of little use to us because most of the time if we're close enough to use the fob then we're getting in the car right away.

It's also useful when running errands in hot weather with groceries in the car. A few times I would get groceries at Target and then need to stop briefly at another local grocery chain for one or two items that were on sale. I could get out of the car and then immediately remote start it with my key fob to keep the AC running to keep the cold groceries cold. If it timed out I could use the cell phone app from inside the store to start it again.

The best use case is hot weather. Keeping the car cool without running an ICE is so much more efficient. Cooling doesn't kill too much range. It becomes really obvious in a place like Arizona in the summer - with 140 degree temps inside a car. Start the car to run the AC (nothing else runs) and you get inside a reasonable to drive car. Do that with an ICE and you have to run the engine and waste all that gas, just to run an air conditioner.

Heating is a totally different story. Unless you're plugged in, or you have tons of range - heating is not a good idea.

Back