Stop Safely Now Warning

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use level 1 about 95% percent of the time. Most of my charging is done at home with the Ford supplied J1772 unit. I will check the charge voltage again on the 12v while plugged in and charging. This morning, after disconnecting the charger, I measured 12.4 volts at the battery. Based on my experience with lead acid, this is not a fully charged battery.

redcelt007 said:
Based on my experience with lead acid, this is not a fully charged battery.
And, once you check the charging voltage status while using your 120 volt cord, you may find that the problem is with the FFE not charging properly, as noted in the discussion link I provided.

I monitored the voltage on the 12v battery last night while the car was charging on level 1. The voltage increased from 12.3 at the start of charging to 13v. Looks like a float charge is being applied to the 12v battery while charging the car. After looking into this SSN message more, it can be caused by a host of issues with almost any car with a CAN bus. I had misplaced my dealer repair report but found it and it indicated an ABS module communication loss with the PCM/ECM. They ran the module update and the code cleared. So far so good with driving the car. Anyone else had this indicated on their dealer service report?

I don't think the 12V battery is the cause of the problem; however, anything is game. I'm currently costing Ford $30/day in rental fees that they are paying directly, so I hope they simply work to resolve the problem.

I've monitored the 12V battery before more than 6 mo ago, and saw voltages around 12.0 to 12.2 standing....which seem to indicate the battery has aged about 50%, which might be accurate for a 36mo battery. It would be poor design practice to make a 12V system to fail at 12.0V or even at 11.0V. However, when I had the car towed to the dealer, I had left the system on so they could hopefully pull information from the car while it was experiencing the issue. 2 days later, I got a system message that the 12V battery was low...likely from being left on. Anyway, when I picked up my rental car, I mentioned it to them that they should charge the 12V battery to keep the car in its error state. So far, seems like that is what they are doing. I can still pull status from the car while it is in the shop. On the car info tab, myfordmobile reports a problem with the "battery system health". Not sure if that is a result of the problem of if it is something that the dealer eventually did.

The service manager said that a second FFE came into the shop one day after mine with the same problem. Hopefully that helps press the issue of getting the cars fixed.

In the mean time, it is interesting to drive an ICE focus. Although it performs pretty good, I can't help but feel jerked around by the transmission as I try to drive it like I do my FFE.

My sons laughed at me today - I put the ICE Focus in manual and shifted the car. I've been driving an electric for so long now, I almost forgot what an engine sounds like. Yeah I had fun running it up near red line and downshifting. They laughed because I was smiling so big.

Old habits die really hard.

I started leasing my 2014 focus electric in march.
I had 2 SSN in a row today while driving at speeds between 30 - 50 Mph. :(
Battery was about 3/4th with 60 miles left.
I have never gone out of battery nor gotten near it, always driving smoothly.
I was shocked after looking on the internet and finding this 50 pages forum thread...

Called the shop to bring the car this week. Will keep you posted.

I got a call today from the dealer. Apparently the High Voltage battery is bad and I will be getting a new one. Seems like a win if it is a new battery and if it is the real cause of the problem. I'm just a bit skeptical because I remember someone else on the forum having many things replaced before getting the problem resolved.
Id be curious to see if there is an improvement in my range. Although I seem to be able to get the range advertised by others, my usable battery capacity appears to only be about 17kwh using the ECO screen and Trip Odometer as a guide. I haven't given it much thought, but at least it would be interesting to see.
But unfortunately, the delivery estimate for the new battery is 3 weeks away...which means that I'll be driving my loaner ICE focus for another 3 or 4 weeks.

[update]: It's been 3 weeks since my car is at the shop... Apparently they know what's going on but they need a part from Ford and it's taking forever. They have escalated the problem but it's already been 3 weeks and I still don't even have an ETA on my repair... How long did it take you to get the issue fixed? I'm starting to regret this lease... :(

After 40 days in the shop, I finally got my FFE back. They replaced the battery. It is hard to get too many details when Ford is paying the bill, but the stack of paperwork kept by the dealer on this fix was probably 20 pages. Here is a rundown on my paperwork describing the problem...if you are interested: (Don't blame me for the punctuation)
"ECC TEST u0111 U0412. Took network tests BECM does not communicate. M-T 1265145 contacted hotline. Tried to perform SOC correction would not go through. Jump pins 3 and 4 at BECM relay network tests passed. Self test all modules individually BECM codes U0146 P0A95 P0AAA1 P0ABB P0B1F P0D08 other modules passed. Contact had line checked all connection at upper battery pack. Check High voltage cables and pin fit at connectors. Check for proper and tight connections. Check battery service disconnects are properly installed. Nothing Found. Swap service disconnects no change. Performed pinpoint tests for p0A95 did not lead anywhere passed tests. Engineer called we discussed problem after engineer talked it over with other engineers recommended to send batterys out. Premoved batterys from vehicle. M-T 19G424 crated batterys up and shipped them out. Waited a couple of weeks uncrated batterys and reinstalled them in vehicle. Replaced coolant filter per shop manual. Test drive 30 miles vehicle ran fine EEC test no codes. Prior approval number for batterys paahr"

Anyway, It is running now as it did before, so I'm happy...and hope it never happens again. Well, maybe at 99,999.9mi...I wouldn't mind a new battery just before the warranty expires.

My wife experienced this issue two times in the past three days.
After driving the car since 04/2014, I haven't experienced it once.

Well, my wife usually drives on surface street while I drive mostly on freeways.

Is this a common problem to electric cars or it's just Ford's?
What should I do? If you have the same issue, could you please tell me what I should do with it?

SSN is not a pleasant feeling about your purchase...trust me, I know. Back in Oct-Nov 2013, a fix came out that virtually removed the issue. It seems that now, SSN is a result of an actual failure. There are a few options.
-Call your dealer and explain the situation. See if they have an idea of what to do. They'll probably ask you to bring it in; however, unless they know what to do, they are just going to scratch their head and stare at it.
-Take it in anyway. Have the issue recorded. If they cannot fix the issue, the Lemon Law, if your state has one, will typically reduce your buy-back by a percentage determined by the miles driven before the first occurrence of the issue.
-Wait for it to fail. And when it does, leave the car on. Do not try to restart the car. Call the tow-truck to take it in and have the dealer look at it in its failed state. They might not be able to determine anything, but it is worth a shot.

Call around and find a dealer who is relatively experienced with the FFE. Could make a difference on whether they can find the issue. Although this is a rare thing now, there have been 2 causes...either cabling, or a bad battery.

By the way, it doesn't seem to matter if you are local driving or freeway driving....but who knows, you're situation could be different.

Good luck.

Thanks a lot davideos,
One final question: how do I know which dealership is more experienced in Focus Electric? It appears all dealerships say the same thing: we are certified and have the resources to fix the problem and just bring it in.

I'm officially a member of the SSN club.
This is an unsettling error message: cryptic and random. I was trying to leave the airport parking lot and got the message. I tried several restarts before calling Ford Roadside Assistance. The rep was nice but the best offer was to tow me to a dealership 30 miles from home whose service dept was closed. I found this thread, restarted a few more times, and drove home.
The worst part is that I just got the 10k mile service done last week.

TypeMRT said:
The 10k mile service is just "rotate tires and inspect" although I can understand the "it was just at the dealer".

Did you have the recall service done on your car? If you have 10k miles on it you've probably had it over a year and thus had it last year at this time when the SSN recall was announced (although I would have hoped your dealer at least did the recall service when it was in for your 10k service).

TypeMRT said:
I'm officially a member of the SSN club.
This is an unsettling error message: cryptic and random. I was trying to leave the airport parking lot and got the message.
If you got the message when trying to start your car (as opposed to in the middle of driving), I would check the health of your 12V battery. A low voltage in the 12V battery can cause an SSN message to appear when attempting to start the car.

jmueller065 said:
TypeMRT said:
The 10k mile service is just "rotate tires and inspect" although I can understand the "it was just at the dealer".

Did you have the recall service done on your car? If you have 10k miles on it you've probably had it over a year and thus had it last year at this time when the SSN recall was announced (although I would have hoped your dealer at least did the recall service when it was in for your 10k service).

Actually, I've only had the car fir 8 months. It's my 2nd EV and I have a Level 2 charger at home so I'm comfortable driving a lot. As of today I have 11,136 miles (and counting).
The only recall notice I've seen was about the MyFordTouch module.

TypeMRT said:
Actually, I've only had the car fir 8 months. It's my 2nd EV and I have a Level 2 charger at home so I'm comfortable driving a lot. As of today I have 11,136 miles (and counting).
Then you may want to take it into the dealer and see if you need the software updated due to the SSN recall.

jmueller065 said:
TypeMRT said:
Then you may want to take it into the dealer and see if you need the software updated due to the SSN recall.
And/or log into http://www.fordowner.com (and register if needed) and see if your car has any pending recall notices. If it does, then definitely take it to the dealer.

bgs said:
Curious if anyone has had an SSN warning on a 2014 model? Considering buying a FFE but the fact that some are still having the issue worries me. Thanks.
I had it happen last Tuesday....left on a trip Wednesday so the car goes in tomorrow to see why

Back