Set up Charge start time?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
airborne said:
Anyone know of a way to assign a charge start time after plugging in other that using value charge?
Nope, Value Charge Profiles appear to be the only way to control the charging start time.

cwstnsko said:
I'm using Value Charging quite effectively to control charge start time, even though there is not a time based rate in my area.
I do the same thing. Charging starts at 3 am every day. Well, actually 2:59 am is what MFM shows for when charging begins each day.

cwstnsko said:
I'm using Value Charging quite effectively to control charge start time, even though there is not a time based rate in my area. Is there a reason that you want to not use value charging?
No other reason than I don't want the car charging when I don't want it to. With those of you using value charging, have you had any experience with charging even a little during high rate times?

Other than having a timer your charging station, I think value charging is the only way. You can set the default one on your dash, don't need to use a computer. The problem is that if a specific location has a profile, you are stuck with it...can't use default at that location

While it won't charge during disallowed times, it may draw a little power for TMS or other purposes.

michael said:
Other than having a timer your charging station, I think value charging is the only way. You can set the default one on your dash, don't need to use a computer. The problem is that if a specific location has a profile, you are stuck with it...can't use default at that location

While it won't charge during disallowed times, it may draw a little power for TMS or other purposes.

That is what I have done. I have installed a 240v mechanical timer (pool pump) for my outlet that i plug my Turbocord into because I got tired of unplugging and plugging in the Turbocord when not charging or when done charging. The Turbocord manual instructs to unplug when not in use.
So, is it a problem to have it plugged in with no power available, because the vehicle might want power for TMS or other purposes?
Or should I get a level 2 charger that is hardwired and use the Turbocord my mobile 240 charging?

airborne said:
michael said:

That is what I have done. I have installed a 240v mechanical timer (pool pump) for my outlet that i plug my Turbocord into because I got tired of unplugging and plugging in the Turbocord when not charging or when done charging. The Turbocord manual instructs to unplug when not in use.
So, is it a problem to have it plugged in with no power available, because the vehicle might want power for TMS or other purposes?
Or should I get a level 2 charger that is hardwired and use the Turbocord my mobile 240 charging?
The car might give errors because it's trying to run TMS but there's no power. It will also start charging if you remote start it while it's plugged in. We usually plug in when we're at home so that the TMS can run as needed. We don't have any Go Times set for afternoon/evening because that will cause the car to try to charge to 100% before the Go Time, so we only use those Go Times if we really need a charge right away. But, we almost always use remote start before leaving so that the AC will run and cool the car down before we depart. This causes the car to charge for the duration of the remote start. Once remote start times out or is cancelled by us the charging stops, or it stops when we unplug the car to leave.

airborne said:
michael said:

Unless you're in a situation where it's very hot and the TMS might be needed even if the battery isn't charging (rare) or it's so cold that the TMS is needed to keep the battery warm, your approach is fine. Having it plugged in with no power available is equivalent to not having it plugged into the car.

Remember, the TMS is not "agressive" like in the Volt where it really keeps the temperature within narrow limits. The Ford TMS merely keeps the temperature from exceeding about 98 F. I don't know how it acts on the cold side since I've never seen it cut-in as a heater.

I can't imagine there's any real reason to unplug the Turbo Cord when not used other than the microscopic risk it might undergo some failure, or the vampire power consumption.

Thanks everyone for the responses!

Being in Arizona, available power for TMS operation might help in the long run.

Ok, this is what i am going to do:

1. Set the timer to turn on the outlet that the Turbocord is plugged into to be "on" from 6pm to 8am.
2. Plug in at about 6:30pm when my Wife gets home with the FFE.
3. Set up VALUE CHARGE to start charging at 2am.
4. Set up the GO Time for 7:30am for the departure of my Wife's commute.

Back