National Drive Electric Day at Huntington Beach, CA

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unplugged

For those FFE owners in the LA area who want to see some amazing EVs AND spend a day at the beach, go see the posting and registration for the Huntington Beach National Drive Electric Day.
https://driveelectricweek.org/event.php?eventid=153

National Drive Electric Week Event - Huntington Beach

Day: Saturday, September 20, 2014
Time: 10am - 4pm
21500 Pacific Coast Hwy (across from Hyatt)
Huntington Beach, CA, United States

EXHIBITORS

PANAMERA S E-HYBRID MODEL S i3 LEAF

VOLT SPARK EV 500e SOUL EV SMART ED

ELR i8 P1

e6 ELECTRIC BUS ELECTRIC BUS HB SCOOTERS

EMPULSE R ZERO SR SMART UNICYCLE WAVEJET

ELECTRIC TURBINE POWERTRAIN SWAY 36V CITIZEN ELECTRIC SKATEBOARD

ELECTRIC SURFBOARD CAL STATE SOLAR KONA 17 EV WEST

SULLIVAN SOLAR POWER CENTER FOR SUSTAINABLE ENERGY (CCSE) SOLAR ENERGY 911

ACCOMMODATIONS EXHIBIT SOLUTIONS PRODUCT ENGINEERING DESIGN STUDIO

ACTIVITIES

1. Showcase all of the PEVs available on the market or coming soon

2. Demonstrate complimentary industries and technology including photovoltaic, public charging, fast in-home charging, inductive charging, EV conversions and car sharing

3. Provide Ride and Drive current PEV models

4. Display other forms of PEV transportation race cars, boats, buses, trucks, bikes, skateboards and PEV conversions of every type

5. Attendee awards for longest distance driven, best license plate, most popular, largest club etc.

6. Provide entertainment for the whole family with bounce houses, face painting, RC plane demonstrations and more

https://driveelectricweek.org/event.php?eventid=153

Thanks for the information and I've signed up for the HB event. Fortunately, I live in Surf City so this is only a few minutes from my house. :D

------------------------------------------------------
May 2013 Ford Focus Electric, Ice Storm

HBGuy said:
Thanks for the information and I've signed up for the HB event. Fortunately, I live in Surf City so this is only a few minutes from my house. :D

I will be glad to see you! We need all the FFEs we can get. The parking is free for all EVs and even visiting gassers. Even though the number of REGISTRATIONS exceeds 280, the number of CARS is only about 90, so we have lots of free parking. Note that parking is usually $15, so we are paying for people to come to this event! And it will be HUGE. What a truly incredible location it is. On the beach side across from the Hyatt Regency Resort on Pacific Coast Highway, there is parking for hundreds. We have a venue of 250,000 square feet where eleven automakers are participating, to date. (I'm working on several additional manufacturers, including holdout Ford.) We will have at least 17 other manufacturers from everything from electric motorcycles to electric skateboards. (And everything in between including electric surfboards and jet skis.) There is even a 1.3 mile test course mapped out for participants to see what driving electric is all about. BMW, Kia, Smart, Chevy and Nissan (and maybe more) will be offering drives and rides.

We have Tesla showing at this event, and they don't usually go anywhere. Kia / Hyundai is coming to our event with the new Kia Soul EV, as well BYD presenting not only its E-BUS, but two of its new for America EV's. Also, for you sports car guys and gals, the McClaren P1 will be there. (No touching.) Along with Porsche's new hybrid plug-in Panamera, Porsche is bringing the plug-in hybrid 918 super-car, available for a mere $950,000. (No staring.) Surprises await, including an appearance by a famous motorbike manufacturer's electric prototype. Famous guests haven't confirmed, but there will be even more surprises.

unplugged said:
HBGuy said:

I will be glad to see you! We need all the FFEs we can get. The parking is free for all EVs and even visiting gassers. Even though the number of REGISTRATIONS exceeds 280, the number of CARS is only about 90, so we have lots of free parking. Note that parking is usually $15, so we are paying for people to come to this event! And it will be HUGE. What a truly incredible location it is. On the beach side across from the Hyatt Regency Resort on Pacific Coast Highway, there is parking for hundreds. We have a venue of 250,000 square feet where eleven automakers are participating, to date. (I'm working on several additional manufacturers, including holdout Ford.) We will have at least 17 other manufacturers from everything from electric motorcycles to electric skateboards. (And everything in between including electric surfboards and jet skis.) There is even a 1.3 mile test course mapped out for participants to see what driving electric is all about. BMW, Kia, Smart, Chevy and Nissan (and maybe more) will be offering drives and rides.

We have Tesla showing at this event, and they don't usually go anywhere. Kia / Hyundai is coming to our event with the new Kia Soul EV, as well BYD presenting not only its E-BUS, but two of its new for America EV's. Also, for you sports car guys and gals, the McClaren P1 will be there. (No touching.) Along with Porsche's new hybrid plug-in Panamera, Porsche is bringing the plug-in hybrid 918 super-car, available for a mere $950,000. (No staring.) Surprises await, including an appearance by a famous motorbike manufacturer's electric prototype. Famous guests haven't confirmed, but there will be even more surprises.
That's the benefit to living in California. In MN our event just has a few EV drivers and that's about it... :(

LOL! In Southeastern Michigan the local event (Ann Arbor, not even Detroit) is still listed as TBD and has no set location.

You'd think that the "big 3" don't even care...oh thats right--they don't.

Great event planning unplugged. That will be a day to remember.

The event in Naperville - outside Chicago was a lot of fun last year. I was the only one there with an FFE. There was a steady stream of people and it was a lot of fun to talk up the cars. A lot of Tesla owners allowed people to drive their car on the test track.

Anybody in the Chicago area - it is a very fun event. You get to brag about the car. It is still fun to hear, you mean Ford makes an all electric?

I couldn't even take my FFE out on the track - there wasn't a charging station very convenient and I was tight on round trip range. Would have liked to given people rides.

I'm torn this year, which car to take. I'll probably go with the FFE - plenty of Teslas show up. I'll plan a little better, leave earlier and charge near the site.

EVA said:
It is still fun to hear, you mean Ford makes an all electric?
And the reason for that question could be the very reason I have not been able to convince Ford to attend. This event has Nissan (of course), Chevy, Cadillac, Fiat, Smart, Kia (new Soul EV), BMW (i3 and i8) Porsche (Panamera AND $900,000 918) McLaren P1 and even BYD is bringing their e6 prototype.

But Ford? The number two selling plug-in manufacturer? Not yet. Ford's electrification consumer marketing director is still telling me California marketing is thinking about it.

Well it looks like there is now a real event in Ann Arbor:
https://driveelectricweek.org/event.php?eventid=145

Alas I won't be able to attend this year (I did stop by last year).

There's a Drive Electric Week event near me (Issaquah, WA) and I'm eager to go. I'm even more eager to finally purchase an FFE so I can participate !

There are three "Unknown" car types listed in the signed-up vehicles, which includes even the unusual cars by name; there's exactly one Coda. No FFE's listed by name.

Kakkerlak said:
There's a Drive Electric Week event near me (Issaquah, WA) and I'm eager to go. I'm even more eager to finally purchase an FFE so I can participate !

There are three "Unknown" car types listed in the signed-up vehicles, which includes even the unusual cars by name; there's exactly one Coda. No FFE's listed by name.

Unknowns usually mean a conversion. Somebody took a regular car and converted it to electric. They don't include the ability to type car names in the drop down registration box.

Our event in Minneapolis is up to 69 EVs!

Nissan LEAF 24
Tesla Model S 16
Chevrolet Volt 15
Ford Focus Electric 7
Mitsubishi i 2
Ford C-Max Energi 2
Tesla Roadster 1
Toyota Plug-in Prius 1
Other 1
Total 69

I'm trying to convince my dad to come and bring his C-Max Energi.

hybridbear said:

Ford Focus Electric 7
That's a pretty good number of EVs, both total and FFEs of 7.

Although the Huntington Beach event has over 400 registrations, the total of EVs is at 111 and there are only five FFEs.

unplugged said:
hybridbear said:

Ford Focus Electric 7
That's a pretty good number of EVs, both total and FFEs of 7.

Although the Huntington Beach event has over 400 registrations, the total of EVs is at 111 and there are only five FFEs.
Yes, it is nice. Considering that Leaf sales overall are much more than 4 times what FFE sales are it's nice to see that we'll have only about 4 Leafs to each FFE there. Our event has 119 registrations with 69 EVs.
https://driveelectricweek.org/event.php?eventid=152

The Pittsburgh National Drive Electric day is being held at Heinz Field, home of our famed Pittsburgh Steelers.

https://driveelectricweek.org/event.php?eventid=168

I will be driving one of the two FFE's registered for the event. The lineup in Pittsburgh so far (sigh, not too impressive) is 20 vehicles, and the breakdown is as follows:

Chevrolet Volt 8
BMW i3 REx 4
Ford Focus Electric 2
Nissan LEAF 2
Tesla Model S 2
Other 1
Cadillac ELR 1
7 total 20

mdzmura said:
The Pittsburgh National Drive Electric day is being held at Heinz Field, home of our famed Pittsburgh Steelers.

https://driveelectricweek.org/event.php?eventid=168

I will be driving one of the two FFE's registered for the event. The lineup in Pittsburgh so far (sigh, not too impressive) is 20 vehicles, and the breakdown is as follows:

Chevrolet Volt 8
BMW i3 REx 4
Ford Focus Electric 2
Nissan LEAF 2
Tesla Model S 2
Other 1
Cadillac ELR 1
7 total 20

Awesome! I'm driving the other FFE :lol:

unplugged said:
hybridbear said:
I'm looking forward to our event in Minneapolis.
I'm mostly worried that of 60 EVs registered, there are 15 Leafs and only 2 FFEs. (At least I have company.)

I would like to take the FFE, but because this is almost 100 miles from my house, I may have to take the LEAF with it's DCQC capabilities.

It looks as if the Huntington Beach event will set records as the largest EV event in the nation. Ever. Right now, we have over 540 attendees pre-registered and 144 plug-in cars expected.

Between you and me, it looks like we finally have Ford corporate on board. That has been an exercise in frustration, believe me. We can’t officially announce this until Ford provides us the check, but let's just say they are coming here in a big way.

Fords is the final manufacturer to confirm attendance. Believe it or not, Toyota is coming with their PiP. And Mercedes just confirmed attendance. This brings us to the list of factory teams providing Ride N Drives. Along with Ford’s three models, we have Nissan, BMW, Chevrolet, Smart, Toyota and Kia. Also factory sponsored, but not yet confirmed for Ride N Drive, we have Mercedes, Cadillac, Tesla, and BYD. Dealers attending are Porsche, McLaren, and Fiat.

The BIG announcements are still pending, but we have three really cool displays. On the boat from Japan, as this is written, Nissan is bringing the Bladeglider concept car. This thing is amazing, and we can’t believe that Nissan is bringing it to our event. Tesla is bringing its one-of-a-kind Model X prototype. It won’t be behind ropes this time. Attendees are welcome to “crawl all over it.” A great display of cars will include the Porsche Panamera, Porsche 918, McLaren P1 and the Kepler. Also, A 1916 Detroit Model 62 Cabriolet Electric will be displayed. And it is beautifully restored.

We have over 40 exhibitors from Musk's Solar City to electric skateboards and (of course) electric surfboards. We have Zero motorcycles providing test drives and NRG with the eVgo charging stations. I'm happy to announce that the Eco Hitch will be displayed on my FFE with my tandem bicycle and historic Kestral bike on a lightweight trailer in tow. We have EV West exhibiting a very impressive BMW 3 series conversion. There are electric speedboats and bicycles. Brammo motorbikes are also here. Check out most of the vendors here: https://driveelectricweek.org/event.php?eventid=153 You can register on this page also.

The fun will be watching our local University of California, Irvine racecars running a full autocross course. Kids will have a bounce house, scavenger hunt, and other fun things to do. And, of course, having the opportunity to test drive all the plug-ins will be great fun. But don’t forget, this event is ON THE BEACH. You can’t get any closer without getting wet.

So if you are in SoCal, this is one EV event you can’t miss. The largest EV event, EVER.

Back