Generator for Emergencies

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frbill

I just closed a sale on a 2014 Platinum White FFE. I live in an area where power can go down every so often. I wonder if anyone knows of a reliable generator that I can get to charge up my FFE in case of the mains being down. Any recommendations would be appreciated. I did search the forum for generators but only found info on a generator to go with a person to charge on the road. I have multiple charging options available to me around my town but I just want a little insurance at home in case of an emergency.

Thanks

Fr. Bill Kessler

frbill said:
I just closed a sale on a 2014 Platinum White FFE. I live in an area where power can go down every so often. I wonder if anyone knows of a reliable generator that I can get to charge up my FFE in case of the mains being down. Any recommendations would be appreciated. I did search the forum for generators but only found info on a generator to go with a person to charge on the road. I have multiple charging options available to me around my town but I just want a little insurance at home in case of an emergency.

Thanks

Fr. Bill Kessler
Are you asking for a generator for the whole house or just directly to your FFE? You might want to get with a local electrician about something like that.

You can likely find a good generator by looking online. Depending on your budget or need, select a generator size. If you want to charge your car at L2 rates, then you will need at least 7KW continuous. Generac makes one for $1861 and the price seems fixed...its the same price at every place I look. Just be sure it is "continuous" and not "peak". You might go more if you want to run your house and charge your car at the same time. Ratings seem good. No idea what the install cost would be. Definitely check your local building codes and inform your service provider before connecting it to your home with a transfer switch.

Also remember that generators need to be maintained. Generally that have to be run from time to time. I suppose you could charge your car from time to time off-grid as a test.

...And check the spec sheets to ensure that you can get 40A at 240V...30A should work, but I'm not sure if that is advisable or not.

davideos said:
Also remember that generators need to be maintained. Generally that have to be run from time to time. I suppose you could charge your car from time to time off-grid as a test.
Charging the car for genny maintenance is a good idea: Not only do they have to be run from time to time but they typically need to be run with a load (many generators are still carbureted--need to put a load on them to get the secondarys to open and not gum up). (We got this advice from the local Cummins dealer when taking our RV with genny in for service. No: Haven't tried to charge the FFE off the RV genny--I could only do a Level 1 charge since its only 4kW and 120V.)

Thanks for the replies. I will take a look at the generac 7K. I was kinda hoping to get just a portable one for around 1000. But none of them have the right type of 240 Connection. I have a Clipper Creek LP-25P so I need a L14-30 Plug. I guess having a smaller one for Level One charging might be ok, but I really want the efficiency of Level 2.

I wouldn't plug an EV into a non inverter generator. The dirty power will cause havoc with the electronics.

I have battery based solar PV system. It has a SW4024 sinewave power inverter. It outputs 120 VAC power at upto 4 kw. The FFE was charged using level one charging with no problem. If you go the generator route you will need to choose your fuel source (natural gas, or LP). Remember during an earth quake gas and water pipes often break. During bad weather natural gas service is often not interupted.

I'm in the process of installing a Generac 22kW NG air cooled generator on an automatic transfer switch right now for the house and FFE backup charging.

kmaluo said:
I wouldn't plug an EV into a non inverter generator. The dirty power will cause havoc with the electronics.
Interesting point.
I assume that most sensitive electronics run off the 12 V battery (so are protected), but I do not know about the charging / converting assemblies. Do you?
(I have a generator rated at 4800 W continuous which I think I could connect my EVSE to. Since that is rated at 20 A./ 240 V., presumably it could be a fair match ... but I don't want to risk a fancy [and much liked] car when I could use some dumb heaters instead.)

I got a bid today for a 8kw backup generator. Looks like I will be saving my pennies for a few months. I hope nothing serious happens before I get it installed.

Back