Test drive: FFE didn't "start" when I pressed Start.

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kakkerlak

I took my first test drive in an FFE this afternoon and it didn't begin on a good note.

With the salesman in the passenger seat, I got in and placed the keys in the cupholder, and proceeded to learn a little about the climate control (90F today) and infotainment system. I started to chew up watts with the A/C system, and tuned to the Classical station on the HD Radio to soothe my nerves.

When it was time to go, the FFE showed the available battery charge and that the transmission was in "D" mode. But the steering didn't have any assist, and when I took my foot off the brake and pressed the accelerator, it just rolled backward (we were on a slight incline).

I punched Start twice again. Same thing.

Mindful of the fact that I'd just signed a "we don't insure you at all when you are test driving our cars" form and the fact that I had almost backed into a Focus SE Titanium, I set the parking brake and let the salesman move that other car out of the way and try.

Sure enough he "got it started" and we were able to drive. "The engine wasn't running", he tried to tell me, using gas engine lingo.

I think that I'd only turned the car into "ON" mode, but had not pressed and held the Start button long enough to actually put it into "Ready to Drive" mode. Having reviewed the User Manual and now knowing what the "Ready to Drive" icon looks like, I think that was it.

Can somebody with more than ten minutes behind the wheel tell me if this is normal "your FFE was ON, but not Ready to Drive" behavior ?

I realize Ford is trying to emulate the familiar "on / off / start" and even refers to the circuit as the "ignition", but having a toggle switch that's also a "press and hold to start" switch doesn't seem to emulate anything familiar.

It was just really disconcerting to be eager to drive away but just roll comically backwards.

Kakkerlak said:
Can somebody with more than ten minutes behind the wheel tell me if this is normal "your FFE was ON, but not Ready to Drive" behavior ?
Yes, almost certainly this is all that happened during your test drive.

The car be a little sensitive the timing between pressing the Start button, and shifting into D, and releasing the brake. Also, you must be pressing the brake before pressing Start (and not release it too soon after). If you do any of these things "too fast", the RTD mode may not engage.

You have to press the brake... wait a beat.. press Start... wait a beat (you should see the RTD light come on) ...and then finally shift into D... and the probably release the brake (but technically you don't have to release after shifting, just after the RTD light comes on).

Now, this process isn't as slow as it might seem from the description above. You can still do it pretty quickly, once you get a feel for the limitations, but it does help to develop a "deliberate-ness" about going through these steps in order. If ever you mess up, just shift back to P (you can keep your foot on the brake), wait a moment, and then press Start per above.

For reference the RTD light mentioned above is the green car symbol with the arrows underneath it on the dashboard.

If you don't see it the car will behave exactly as you describe: it will be "on" but the power steering won't be engaged and pressing the go pedal won't take you anywhere.

Kakkerlak said:
When it was time to go, the FFE showed the available battery charge and that the transmission was in "D" mode. But the steering didn't have any assist, and when I took my foot off the brake and pressed the accelerator, it just rolled backward (we were on a slight incline).

This exact thing happened to me when we were driving the exact car we were going to buy, right before we actually bought it. I just pushed the 'on' button while the thing was in park. Then pressed the brake and shifted to drive.

You HAVE to press the brake pedal and hold it when you press the "on" button. Otherwise the little green icon in the bottom right of the cluster won't turn on, and you wont be able to drive.

I was about to walk away from Ford and go to Nissan after the car wouldn't move. I'm glad the sales person took the time to tell me that there is a specific method to turn the car on.

On a side note, this wholes on/off/drive mode thing is so archaic. I just want to get into the car and drive away. Get out of the car and walk away.

cwstnsko said:
Both my wife and I have had this happen a few times. I don't realize the green icon didn't come on until I have shifted into D or R and the car doesn't go. Then I press the brake and push the button again, but that car won't "start" with the shifter in D or R.... then my brain fully engages, I shift back to P, press the brake, press the start button, look for the green icon, shift to D or R and drive away. It doesn't happen often, I pay more attention to the green icon now, but it still flusters me for a second ever time it happens :)
This is exactly what happens to us on occasion too.

You get used to it: Even after over a year of driving I still get it once and a while. Its a quick flip to park, press start, and back to R/D. It is a normal reaction now that I barely think about anymore...

ElSupreme said:
On a side note, this wholes on/off/drive mode thing is so archaic. I just want to get into the car and drive away. Get out of the car and walk away.
That's exactly how the Model S works.

WattsUp said:
ElSupreme said:

And that still weirds me out. It just seems like the car should make some sound when you turn it on - or start it.

The FFE does have a chime when it starts and the green light comes on. There is something reassuring about that.

The Model S - if you have your seat belt on, it makes absolutely no noise at all. The only way you know it is ready to move, the speedometer flips around. You have to press the brake pedal and move the gear shift lever that looks like a windshield wiper stalk.

D!Supreme - it is archaic and it isn't. No electric car needs that big old shift lever. But it is reassuring that it is there. Most people aren't ready for revolution, yet.

I'm ready to get used to the FFE's feature set. I'm a guy who accidentally jabbed the ON button of a Chevy Volt during a test drive and stalled it for several minutes in the middle of a busy freeway on-ramp.

I like that the FFE has a nice solid parking brake lever. The Volt's button/pneumatic method weirds me out a little.

And the simple Sony radio, and simple Ford climate control... thank goodness.

The two-screen system ahead of the wheel probably takes some getting used to, but the left and right controller arrays are symmetrical and easy to understand.

MyFordTouch seems very easy to use, too. Other infotainment systems I have used seem to just want to drop me directly into ten channels of Opie & Anthony on XM at full volume.

I gave the voice navigation system the ultimate local test: "Nearby. Starbucks." It found six.

Now if I could just find a dealer whose salesmen have been on the job more than a couple of months, I'd be set.

WattsUp said:
ElSupreme said:

Which is why I have such a problem with the FFE and any ICEs that I may borrow/rent. My Model S has spoiled me. You don't really understand how archaic an ignition is until you experience something else.

The first time I really drove a ICE (without someone in the passenger seat to remind me to turn off the car) was over a year after getting my Model S. I locked the keys in my friends pickup truck, while it was idling in a parking lot. It took about 4 hours and 1/4 tank to get a spare key.

EVA said:
WattsUp said:
ElSupreme said:

And that still weirds me out. It just seems like the car should make some sound when you turn it on - or start it.

D!Supreme - it is archaic and it isn't. No electric car needs that big old shift lever. But it is reassuring that it is there. Most people aren't ready for revolution, yet.

I agree it is way foreign. But once you get used to it ... it makes the whole concept of on/off seem absurd.

ElSupreme said:
Which is why I have such a problem with the FFE and any ICEs that I may borrow/rent. My Model S has spoiled me. You don't really understand how archaic an ignition is until you experience something else.

The first time I really drove a ICE (without someone in the passenger seat to remind me to turn off the car) was over a year after getting my Model S. I locked the keys in my friends pickup truck, while it was idling in a parking lot. It took about 4 hours and 1/4 tank to get a spare key.
Lol funny story. At least it didn't run out of gas.

ElSupreme said:
That's exactly how the Model S works.[/quote]

D!Supreme - it is archaic and it isn't. No electric car needs that big old shift lever. But it is reassuring that it is there. Most people aren't ready for revolution, yet.[/quote]

I agree it is way foreign. But once you get used to it ... it makes the whole concept of on/off seem absurd.[/quote]
I like the sound of on/off becoming absurb. Does the Tesla lock automatically once you walk away? Or do you have to lock it when getting out?

Whoa there Hybridbear - the quotes got hard to read and find your question.

I think you asked about locking the Model S.
Yes it locks when you walk away (that is selectable in the options somewhere). No you don't have to lock it when you get out of the car. There is no cylinder for a key anywhere on the car. Everything is done electronically by fob - nothing mechanical about it (there is a secret spot in case your fob battery runs out).

Here's what the key fob looks like:
LTejzcil.jpg

Press once on the roof to lock the car. Press twice on the front part to open the front trunk. Press twice on the rear to open the rear hatch.
That has to be the most intuitive key in the world.

EVA said:
Whoa there Hybridbear - the quotes got hard to read and find your question.

I think you asked about locking the Model S.
Yes it locks when you walk away (that is selectable in the options somewhere). No you don't have to lock it when you get out of the car. There is no cylinder for a key anywhere on the car. Everything is done electronically by fob - nothing mechanical about it (there is a secret spot in case your fob battery runs out).

Here's what the key fob looks like:
LTejzcil.jpg

Press once on the roof to lock the car. Press twice on the front part to open the front trunk. Press twice on the rear to open the rear hatch.
That has to be the most intuitive key in the world.
Hmmm I see now that the quotes didn't work. When I clicked "reply" it had too many levels of quotes so the Forum software gave me an error. And apparently I failed at correctly removing the extra layer of quotes when replying on my iPhone... Thanks for explaining the Tesla key. It is very intuitive. I hope other automakers imitate that design. That would be so convenient!

Back