Wrench Warning After Charging

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndrewK

I kept getting wrench warning lights after every 3rd or so charge at home on my GE wattstation L2 charger. After 3 visits to the dealer they discovered the error code which was causing the problem. The error stated that the charge handle button was pressed for more than 5 minutes and told me it was a problem with my charger.

When I got home and plugged in the cord I noticed that it didn't click down. I never noticed this before. With the plug out the button and tab operated normally. Looking into the body of the connector I noticed that one of the sealing rings had pushed down and was pressed against the bottom of the connector. Some needle nose pliers later and the offending foam was removed. Now the connector clicks down and doesn't give me an error light.

I sure wish the warning lights would give us some indication of what the problem is at the time. I had no idea if it was a serious problem or what. After reading these forums I wanted to avoid any real serious issues if possible.

It would be nice at least if we knew the problem was internal or external to the car. I am sure eventually there will be other public malacting charge stations which could throw errors

I have the Ford charging station, and noticed that a black foam insert had fallen out of the charging handle plug. Since the charger is kept in a dry location I figured that this foam insert was not needed.

Yesterday I got a "Wrench Alert" - the manual reads: "Illuminates when a powertrain or high-voltage charge system fault has been detected. If the indicator stays on or continues to come on, contact your authorized dealer as soon as possible."

The only thing different in the use of the car was that it was still charging (98%) when the power plug was detached and then the car start was pushed and it started. But the "Wrench Alert" icon also came up. I tried turning the car off, exiting and closing the door and re-enter the car to repeat the process - but the "Wrench Alert" continued to appear even though the car started.

I tried to start the car a few hours later after it was fully charged and it came up without any alerts. This is the first "problem" I have had since we purchased this 2012 FFE on 6 October 2012. It has 2482 miles.

I share this "fault" so that I have a record of its occurance as well as letting others know of this "glitch."

I have gotten the "Wrench" several times. It is always after a full charge on our Blink Home Charger.

Sometimes it thinks the charging cord is still plugged in and won't let me start the car. I have to plug the cord back into the car and then remove it. This allows me to start the car, but the wrench still appears until I drive a bit and then turn the car off and then back on.

Sometimes it will go months without an issue, then will get two in a week.

Hey thanks for the info on this. We just got ours two days ago and got this message as soon as we pulled into the driveway. Took it back to the dealership yesterday, still waiting to hear what they found. Hopefully it's something as simple as what you guys have experienced. Will post back once I get it back.

Got my FFE back yesterday from the dealership and everything was great. Today my wife drives it and the light comes back on, mind you now that it first came on with her. When she gets back home will see what she does different then I and see if she's doing something that she shouldn't. She's not very good with tech. ;)

Snowball 14 said:
Got my FFE back yesterday from the dealership and everything was great. Today my wife drives it and the light comes back on, mind you now that it first came on with her. When she gets back home will see what she does different then I and see if she's doing something that she shouldn't. She's not very good with tech. ;)
Is she unplugging it too fast? Is she turning off power to the EVSE while the cord is still connected to the car?

hybridbear said:
Snowball 14 said:
Is she unplugging it too fast? Is she turning off power to the EVSE while the cord is still connected to the car?
No I unplugged it. I think she's doing something while driving to be honest but she doesn't know what. When I took it in the first time the dealer told me it was a loose cord around breaking system.

Back