1000 mile efficiency challenge

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hybridbear

On the Hybrid Forums there is a fair bit of friendly competition and excitement about seeing how high an owner can get their MPG for a specific miles interval. There are threads for best MPG over 1000 miles, 500 miles, etc. I wanted to start something similar here. I like using one of my trip meters to track efficiency in 1000 mile increments to see how weather conditions affect efficiency as well.

Our first set is less than 1000 miles because we received the car with slightly more than 4284.2 miles on it. So this pic is from when we got it until it turned 5000 miles. This period runs from 7/3/14-7/21/14 and includes a fair bit of A/C use as it has been hot here.

I really hope that others will join in tracking their efficiency over such an interval so that we can see how our longer term efficiency compares.

If I weren't driving the i3 I'd participate. And there's no point in my SO joining the fun as she has a lead foot. She'd have a shot at a '1000 mile lack of efficiency challenge' though. :lol:

twscrap said:
If I weren't driving the i3 I'd participate. And there's no point in my SO joining the fun as she has a lead foot. She'd have a shot at a '1000 mile lack of efficiency challenge' though. :lol:
What kind of long term efficiency numbers does she see? I'd be curious to know how the i3 does for long term efficiency over a long stretch like this.

We both have the same route to work, and I saw 170s for it. We swapped cars this morning and I noticed she's running more like 240s. I can do high 130s in the i3 for this. Note that there are no highway speeds on this route, but there are a couple of range sucking hills.

170's - wow! I can get that low, but I have to be driving residential areas. 130's are completely out of the question for me in the FFE - that is amazing the i3 can achieve that performance. My trips are fairly short - (about 6 miles on average), but usually involve a short hop on the freeway, use of AC, and I often have to deal with aggressive drivers. I've certainly seen sub 200 trips, but that's only when I don't get on the freeway and there is no traffic (and usually no AC). My lifetime average is about 235 right now.

So, I've had a weird issue with the trip odometer. Twice when we've reset a trip odometer right before shutting the car off we've watched it reset and go to 0, but then when restarting the car later on and driving it didn't actually reset. This happened to my wife when she was driving and reset the trip odometer at 5000 miles and happened to me when I reset the trip odometer at the end of July for our monthly electricity tracking.

Thus, the pic below is an extension of the one above. I realized a few days later when I went to check on the trip odometer that it hadn't properly reset. At first I thought it was a key issue, that the trip odometers were being personalized to which key was driving but some experimenting proved that to be untrue. When it happened to me a second time I realized that each time we'd reset the trip odometer it was right before powering down the vehicle.

Thus, this pic is 7/3/14-7/22/14.

And this pic is 7/22/14-8/24/14.

On Sunday the odometer rolled over to 6000.0 shortly after I turned the car on, I had parked at 5999.9. Thus I did not have the chance to test the trip odometer reset theory. I was trying to park at 6000.0 but I couldn't get there... I carefully watched as I drove after resetting it at 6000.0 and I checked it right after restarting the car the next time I parked and so far so good.

Has anyone else had this issue? Could someone else experiment?

My process was: navigate from "Display Mode" to "Trip 1 & 2"; clear Trip 1; watch it return to all zeroes and begin counting seconds; quickly navigate back to "Display Mode"; immediately thereafter power down car. Since I use my two trip odometers for very specific purposes I cannot just reset them any time I feel like it. Perhaps someone else who resets their trip odometers more frequently can experiment and see if they have the same goofy function.

I almost always reset the trip odometer in our FFH right before turning off the car when I arrive at a gas station and have never had this strange behavior in the FFH. My parents reset their trip odometer in the C-Max Energi when getting gas as well and have not had this glitch.

Thanks!

hybridbear said:
So, I've had a weird issue with the trip odometer. Twice when we've reset a trip odometer right before shutting the car off we've watched it reset and go to 0, but then when restarting the car later on and driving it didn't actually reset. This happened to my wife when she was driving and reset the trip odometer at 5000 miles and happened to me when I reset the trip odometer at the end of July for our monthly electricity tracking.
My coworker noticed this behavior as well: When he would return home for the night he would reset the trip meter before plugging in. It happened to him quite a few times. My habit has always been to reset the trip meter first thing in the morning--never have seen an issue with it not resetting.

jmueller065 said:
hybridbear said:
My coworker noticed this behavior as well: When he would return home for the night he would reset the trip meter before plugging in. It happened to him quite a few times. My habit has always been to reset the trip meter first thing in the morning--never have seen an issue with it not resetting.
I'm glad I'm not losing my mind then.

I've had my FFE over a month now and have just clocked in over 1000 miles! I love it so far and look forward to continued gas free miles! My efficiency during that period is 211 Wh/mi. It's been a pretty mild summer with moderate use of AC, but my area is very hilly.

177 is incredible! Fantastic. Did you go 30 mph on the highway during the road trip? Most impressive!

Hopefully you were not on the freeway and had to pull over to grab your 10k mile pic! LOL

Congratulations.

My FFE is creeping up on its 20k milestone.

jmueller065 said:
Hopefully you were not on the freeway and had to pull over to grab your 10k mile pic! LOL

Congratulations.
Haha no, we were driving in the city. Fortunately there was no one behind us so I was able to let off the gas & coast while I got my iPhone to focus to take the pic.

Back