Why You Should Get a Ford Focus Electric Now

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FFEGuy

Congratulations. If you are reading this, you know that there are choices in fully electric cars beyond the Leaf and the Tesla. The Ford Focus Electric is one of the best. I have had mine for over a year, and I love it. It is well thought out, practical, substantial, and good-looking. It is really the only EV that is a tasteful mainstream car.
You will have noticed that Ford is not promoting the Focus Electric at all. That doesn’t mean that it isn’t a very, very good car. Regardless of Ford’s corporate strategies, this car appears to have been designed and developed by a small and dedicated team of engineers who believed in what they were doing and produced an excellent product, probably with very little corporate oversight. Others have speculated that the Focus Electric is merely a “niche car”, a “halo car”, or a “compliance car” in Ford’s product strategy, and they may all be right, especially when you look at the huge and thirsty vehicles Ford does promote and produce in quantity. This could mean that Ford is not prepared to produce the Focus Electric in large numbers, and if the demand eventually exceeds the supply, you may not be able to get one !

You might also be procrastinating on your EV purchase in expectation of dramatically improved batteries. I have talked with several dedicated battery researchers who are working on just such technologies. They all tell me that big breakthroughs are years away, and that “incremental improvements” in the lithium ion battery are all that can be expected in the foreseeable future.

But here is my main argument: The Focus Electric really is a good car. Sensible size, nice stance, clean design, useful features. It feels solid, powerful, quiet, and is unexpectedly fun to drive. Whenever Ford has produced a design gem like this in the past, it has been an accident. When Ford has a winner that attracts corporate attention, they waste no time in completely ruining it. (Think of the original Thunderbirds and Mustangs, and the latest casualty, the Transit Connect) This is somehow imbued in the corporate culture. The next iteration of the Focus Electric will be bigger, higher, and heavier, with lots of pointless embellishments. The inspired original will instantly become a “classic”, but you won’t be able to get one anymore ! You can count on this.

The Focus electric costs only about $2K more than a comparably equipped Nissan Leaf, and about one third as much as a Tesla. You can hedge your bet with a lease/buy arrangement for almost no additional cost. Get one while you can !

FFEGuy said:
The Focus electric costs only about $2K more than a comparably equipped Nissan Leaf, and about one third as much as a Tesla. You can hedge your bet with a lease/buy arrangement for almost no additional cost. Get one while you can !

While I agree that the purchase prices are comparable, I was getting much better lease prices on the Ford in the LA area. As far as features go, the FoFo is arguably somewhere in between the Leaf SV and SL. Even with the lower-priced SV, the lease prices I found were higher than the FoFo.

I found the Focus Electric to be far better equipped than the Leaf. Below is the analysis I did when considering both vehicles.

Ford Focus Electric vs Nissan Leaf
Pros/Additional Features
• MyFord Touch
• Liquid cooled HVB
• Ambient lighting
• Leather seats available
• Brake score
• Driving score
• Rear seat HVAC ducts
• Premium Sony audio
• Back-up sensors
• Driver knee airbag
• Auto headlights
Cons/Missing Features
• Heated steering wheel

hybridbear said:
I found the Focus Electric to be far better equipped than the Leaf. Below is the analysis I did when considering both vehicles.
Ford Focus Electric vs Nissan Leaf
Pros/Additional Features [in FFE]
[...]• Liquid cooled HVB
[...]• Back-up sensors
[...]
Those (2) are the ones that matter most to me, and I strongly agree with.
Could add that I like the feel of FFE and its very high safety / crash test score,
but am not sure how those compare with Leaf.
Dealer / service availability is an advantage for Ford here, but that probably depends on your area.
Made in USA is another Ford plus, although Nissan is sourcing more from the states, now.
One driver wrote that the charge port door in the front of the Leaf is a drawback in certain weather conditions (like, snow or ice build-up while driving).

JTCalif said:
One driver wrote that the charge port door in the front of the Leaf is a drawback in certain weather conditions (like, snow or ice build-up while driving).
Not only that. With the Leaf's large, metal "charging hatch" with complex hinges, there is chance that even a fairly minor front-facing fender bender could wedge the hatch into an un-openable state (meaning that you couldn't charge until the car was fully repaired).

With the FFE's side-mounted, and smaller plastic charging door, this sort of unfortunate inconvenience would seem to be minimized (and, after any kind of automotive mishap, I welcome every little bit that can help keep a bad situation from being worse).

Also, I for one consider the FFE's 5-star safety rating a huge plus.

JTCalif said:
Could add that I like the feel of FFE and its very high safety / crash test score,
but am not sure how those compare with Leaf.
Dealer / service availability is an advantage for Ford here, but that probably depends on your area.
Made in USA is another Ford plus, although Nissan is sourcing more from the states, now.

The FoFo was rated the safer car between the two.

Also, isn't the Leaf made in Tennessee?

Leaf has heated rear seats and heating and cooling ducts in the rear. maybe I'm missing something there.

For me the Telescoping steering wheel and electric power seat in the focus made all the difference in my choice to go with the focus. If you try a Leaf and have long legs, you'll see the seat cushion is too short and the 6 way manual adjusted seat doesn't got to the range of the focus. Also the steering wheel in the leaf doesn't extend and so with the seat back you drive with arm stretched out. Not comfortable.

I think design is clearly in the ford camp. Interior at least. The Leaf was very plain, center stack is not versatile like the ford. All radio controls on the steering wheel and center stack are easily reached from the "elbow on the arm rest" position. In the leaf I felt like I was reaching for everything.
FFE FOFO is a very good car. The driving experience is solid. the fit and finish is that of a low end mass produced car which at MSRP of $36995 is a big pill to swallow.
H

Lithium said:
Leaf has heated rear seats and heating and cooling ducts in the rear. maybe I'm missing something there.
I didn't know that. One of my strikes against the Leaf was that it didn't have rear HVAC ducts. I thought I had looked through the Nissan website pretty thoroughly and didn't find that. I guess I missed it. When I drove a Leaf I don't recall seeing rear seat ducts but I also wasn't looking for them because I thought that it didn't have any. Thanks for letting us know.

I agree that the FFE is a good car. It feels good on the road and is fun to drive. But I'm surprised that no one has mentioned two important features that the Leaf now has but the FFE doesn't: a heat pump HVAC system and fast charging capability. The heat pump is an important improvement for winter driving range. EVs are rare where I live so fast chargers aren't available, but they're available is some parts of the country and more are being installed.

The way quick charge makes sense is if you are going to take the car on a longer trip. Quick has to be really quick, as in 15 - 30 minutes. Driving any distance with 2 or 3 hour waits for charging just doesn't work conveniently. Those longer charge times can work, but they take a lot of planning. Driving only 70 or 80 miles, then waiting 2 or 3 hours to charge is a tough time frame for a long trip.

Unless Nissan finds a way to string those rapid chargers every 60 or 70 miles, they won't really free the car from being more of an around city or commuter car. I just don't see that happening any time soon.

My frame of reference. I just did two very different trips in the Tesla. Chicago to Louisville, KY - there were no superchargers on that path. Chicago to Phoenix, AZ - there was nothing but superchargers on that path (although that path added about 700 miles to the trip).

The Louisville trip was almost painful. I had to spend around 5 hours charging in Indianapolis. That is a lot of time to waste in a mall, even including a meal and a movie. Once in Louisville, I found a place to charge overnight - that solved a big problem.

The Phoenix trip used all superchargers the whole way. Maximum charging time was one hour, mostly I really only needed 30 minutes. It is pretty easy to do something for 30 minutes after driving for 2 or 3 hours. An hour usually meant sit down and have a meal or a nap. All enjoyable things. The last day on the return trip we actually covered 1,113 miles in one really long day of driving.

So the Nissan rapid charge scenario - drive for an hour, stop someplace for 15 minutes to charge. That works well. You could do that most of the day and cover a lot of ground. Drive for an hour, stop for an hour, 2, or 3 to charge - well you just don't get very far in a day of driving. One stop works, but two or three makes for a long day. If you had friends or entertainment possible at each stop - that works.

Guess I see quick charge as Nissan has used it as a dead end.

cta4762 said:
I agree that the FFE is a good car. It feels good on the road and is fun to drive. But I'm surprised that no one has mentioned two important features that the Leaf now has but the FFE doesn't: a heat pump HVAC system and fast charging capability. The heat pump is an important improvement for winter driving range. EVs are rare where I live so fast chargers aren't available, but they're available is some parts of the country and more are being installed.

**EDIT** My previous post was found to be false after I did a little more digging, this is straight from the owners manual this time.

The quick charging is available, however it is not recommended when the battery is in below freezing temperatures or conversely high temperatures. Also, "NISSAN recommends using normal charging for usual charging of the vehicle. Use of quick charge should be minimized in order to help prolong Li-ion battery life."

If your looking at electric cars, having a system to condition the battery in either heat or cold makes a world of difference. That feature alone, IMO gives the FFE the edge. It doesn't matter how big your battery is if you can't get a decent charge.

Back