What's the biggest thing you miss about your old ICE?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

studio460

Aside from the obvious (range), is there anything you miss about your old gasoline-powered vehicle?

[Personally, I have a lowered, matte-black 2003 Mercury Marauder 32V 4.6L V8 that I'm keeping for long drives, and because I just love that car. It's got a throaty, after-market exhaust note that I really like. Of course, when I get my FFE, I know I won't miss filling up my tank with premium gas every four days at $4.49/gallon!]

lv-m1.jpg

Mojave Desert, California.

I've been thinking about one thing I'll miss. On my daily commute, I have to pull into a six-lane highway, three blocks into my drive. While the posted limit is 35MPH, morning commuters often drive this street (Sepulveda Blvd.) at near-50MPH. I can usually slip into traffic and get up to speed very quickly in my gasoline-powered V8. However, I noticed the off-the-line speed is rather pokey in the FFE on my one test drive (plus, I'd like to keep deep current-draw spikes at a minimum for both range and battery life considerations). In the FFE, I'll probably have to wait a complete light-cycle for the preceding cross-traffic control to turn red, to enable enough clearance. This often takes up to three minutes or more.

Not really--granted I have two ICE vehicles that I can and do drive often enough that if there was anything I would miss I would make up for.

In fact, when I do drive one of the ICE vehicles I often contemplate on what would it take to make that particular ICE vehicle a BEV--hmm that would make an interesting blog post...

The only think I miss about my ICE is the clutch pedal, and roof rack. (I know I can put the roof rack on my FFE or Model S but I haven't yet)

That and my seats. Oh the seats in my GTI were amazing.

jmueller065 said:
Not really--granted I have two ICE vehicles that I can and do drive often enough that if there was anything I would miss I would make up for.

In fact, when I do drive one of the ICE vehicles I often contemplate on what would it take to make that particular ICE vehicle a BEV--hmm that would make an interesting blog post...
You don't have the ICE Focus anymore? I notice that your signature is different.

The only thing I would miss is the cargo utility. The FFE has very limited cargo space & rear seat space. However, it's sufficient and is so much more fun to drive.

I brought home a Focus Titanium with the cool Arctic White interior to show my wife (she's an interior designser) and she wanted to take it for a spin. When she came back she said she missed the sound of the exhaust.

hybridbear said:
You don't have the ICE Focus anymore? I notice that your signature is different.
Nope: Its lease was up so we turned it in for the 2014 Escape (1.6L Ecoboost, FWD). So far we're getting 30+ mpg in it on the freeway! Not bad for a "CUV".

My distraction by Shelterock, on Flickr

Audi S4 Avant, 340hp V8 Quattro Wagon. nough said..... V8 rumble with Milltek exhaust was such a joy to hear. 5.6 sec 0-60 and the brakes were amazing. These were all great features of the car.
What I miss most is the Wagon and functionality of the vehicle. 6'7" and the focus is a little cramped. If I had a A4 wagon style car all electric, then the ICE would be nostalgic at best.
I don't miss the fuel cost, maintenance, insurance, economics of the car really.
H

Interesting replies! I really want a FFE for all the obvious reasons, but it's taking every bit of will power not to buy an ST instead. Actually, I don't think I'll miss the sound of the exhaust--I expect it to be a different driving experience altogether. I'm actually looking forward to the "quietness."

studio460 said:
I expect it to be a different driving experience altogether.
What I found to be most surprising: Shortly after I got my FFE I was out driving it in the rain. While stopped at a light I had this odd sensation that I was camping for the only noise I could hear was the raindrops hitting the roof of the car (the radio was off and so was the wipers). It still strikes me now and then all of the exterior sounds you can hear simply because there are none emanating from the vehicle itself.

To this day, whenever I give a ride to someone who has never ridden in it their first words are always: "Its so quiet!".

I drive with radio and ac 99.9% of the time. The other .1% is sitting at a light - I adore turning off everything and sitting in the silence, knowing that my car is ready to move by lifting my foot from the brake, while hearing all of the ICEs surrounding me rumbling and polluting the area. It's totally a feeling of superiority. Not that I don't feel superior to most people most of the time anyway! :eek: :D But in my FFE there's a physical embodiment of feeling and being different.

To answer the original question, though: storage. I miss easy access to my garage door opener and coin slots. On the list but just not major is the tiny back seat. There's just no room back there if I'm in the best driving position for my body.

The biggest thing was the whole inside of the back of the minivan when the seats were out.

What I really miss is being able to put five adults and all their luggage in one vehicle to go on a trip. Last time we did a long trip together, I rented a minivan. I'm good with that.

Gigi said:
The biggest thing was the whole inside of the back of the minivan when the seats were out.

What I really miss is being able to put five adults and all their luggage in one vehicle to go on a trip. Last time we did a long trip together, I rented a minivan. I'm good with that.
Could you take your 2012 FFH for that? I know that it's a work car, but are you allowed to drive it for limited personal use? Assuming that you paid for the gas, etc for that trip and not your employer.

hybridbear said:
Gigi said:

Could you take your 2012 FFH for that? I know that it's a work car, but are you allowed to drive it for limited personal use? Assuming that you paid for the gas, etc for that trip and not your employer.

Not an option, unfortunately.

My F150 extended cab with a tonneau cover is our backup vehicle for hauling people and stuff. I didn't hear any complaints from the back seat on a three hour trip we took recently - though I'm sure they weren't as comfortable as back in the minivan days. Anything longer than that, I'll just rent a minivan.

Back