Daytime running lights

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

felkster

I thought the car was supposed to have them. I can't find a way to turn mine on (besides turning on the parking lights or forcing the headlights on). Does anyone actually have DRLs on when the headlight switch is either off or on automatic?

I had assumed the LED accent strip would be the DRL, but that only comes on for me when the headlights are fully lit or when I hit the unlock button on the key fob.

Anyone? I'm trying to find out if my daytime running lights are something worth mentioning to the dealer when I go in for my first service (which won't be anytime soon).

I can't find mention of DRL in the online info for the car. I have heard that Canadian cars have it (but then they have square tires ;) )

The PDF manual states the following:

DAYTIME RUNNING LAMPS (DRL) (IF EQUIPPED)
The system turns the headlamps on.
To switch the system on, switch the vehicle to Ready to Drive mode and switch the headlamp control to the off or parking lamp position.

(actually there is more text listed but my copy/paste didn't grab it)

Note the "if equipped". This would indicate it might not be.

Not sure if this is true but... my salesman (I just signed up last Saturday!!!) said that DRL are not advised as that would be a drain on the main battery.

I thought that's what the right most setting was for. I guess that's just the automatic on-off function.
Sometimes I see two green headlight icon on the I/C light up. I thought that was the DRL.

Sorry to revive this old topic.

I'm Canadian (we don't have square tires btw!!;) ) and i was searching the web to find a way to switch HID DRL to LED DRL to save power.

I found something interesting : HID bulb consume 35W. 35W * 2 = 70WH.
I can't drive more than 2 hours at "full speed". 140wh wasted.. it reduce my total range by 1km!!

So i figure it's not worth the time/money to bypass the OEM system.

Krogan said:
Sorry to revive this old topic.

I'm Canadian (we don't have square tires btw!!;) ) and i was searching the web to find a way to switch HID DRL to LED DRL to save power.

I found something interesting : HID bulb consume 35W. 35W * 2 = 70WH.
I can't drive more than 2 hours at "full speed". 140wh wasted.. it reduce my total range by 1km!!

So i figure it's not worth the time/money to bypass the OEM system.
I'm not sure I understand your last sentence. I think what you are saying is that in Canadia (that is how you spell it?), the FFE operates with the HIDs as the DRL. This is probably because the LEDs aren't bright enough for daytime use. I guess you are saying that the HIDs don't use that much power, so it isn't worth the trouble?

BTW, here in the warmer climes, Ford doesn't bother with even offering DRL as an option.

Does anyone know how to get just the LED 'eyebrow' strip to come on whenever the car is 'on'? Like the newer Ford Escapes do for example?

electricAZ said:
Does anyone know how to get just the LED 'eyebrow' strip to come on whenever the car is 'on'? Like the newer Ford Escapes do for example?

See this thread - http://www.myfocuselectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1589

My manager is leasing a FFE and he re-wired some things to get the DRL's to always be on. On other cars, like the Lincoln MKz, I've had our service technicians hook up the computer and it was as simple as enabling the feature in the car. Some states require DRL's, I believe, so depending on where the car is shipped the feature may be enabled or disabled. You may be able to have your dealer enable it, but for them to be on every time you start the car, it may require some re-wireing.

I will touch base with JAchady and see if I can get some details on exactly what he did to enable them!

-Zjlange12
Havill-Spoerl Ford Lincoln
Fort Atkinson, WI

http://www.myfocuselectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1589&start=10

This is the thread JAChady made about his adventure with the DRL's. I would still check with your dealer to see if they can simply "enable" the feature for you with a computer, but worst case scenario, show them that thread and they should be able to figure it out!

-Zjlange12
Havill-Spoerl Ford Lincoln
Fort Atkinson, WI

I would love to have the eyebrow DRLs. I love the look of LED DRLs so much I was about to replace the headlights on my old Accord when I decided to just get rid of it.

My question regarding getting the dealer to try to enable them, or rewrite if necessary, is about my car being leased. I'm not fully aware of what I could do to the car, and by the same token, would the dealership even do anything to it since they know it's leased? Does the lease matter in this case? If I can realistically ask the dealer to do it, I'll call them tomorrow!

JAchady is a new car sales manager for a Ford store, and he is leasing the Focus depicted in the above thread. Your gtg bud! haha

Well, his situation is slightly different than the rest of us, ya think? :) If I worked at a dealership, I'm pretty sure I could talk some guys into doing whatever also. I can't rely on his experience as a guide for my modifications. :-/

Fords lease paperwork states that modifications can be done to the vehicle as long as they don't devalue the car. Sometimes that is subjective, ie: putting big black rims on instead of the factory, or custom paint. I don't think the LED mod would even be noticed by the inspector and if it was, I don't see it as a devaluing factor.

jachady said:
Fords lease paperwork states that modifications can be done to the vehicle as long as they don't devalue the car. Sometimes that is subjective, ie: putting big black rims on instead of the factory, or custom paint. I don't think the LED mod would even be noticed by the inspector and if it was, I don't see it as a devaluing factor.

That's basically what I thought. Next challenge would be getting it done. How would even approach it? Call the repair department at the dealer? Or just any mechanic (it's not an FFE specific issue so it's normal wiring stuff, right?)?

I would think any shop that has access to the wiring diagrams could handle this. That way they cut into and tap the right wire. Heck, I actually did mine myself after I had the Service Manager tell me which wire to cut.

John

jachady said:
I would think any shop that has access to the wiring diagrams could handle this. That way they cut into and tap the right wire. Heck, I actually did mine myself after I had the Service Manager tell me which wire to cut.

John
Which wire do you cut?

Back