Electric Front windshield defroster

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jachady

Back in 2006 on the Explorer and now again in the new Transit Connect, Ford offered a electric windshield defroster. I think this would be huge for the FFE, it would require us to turn on the whole climate control system just to clear our windshield. Not sure how much energy it would consume but I wouldn't think it would be more than the heated seats.

I think a intermittent defroster would go a long way to conserve battery charge. that is what i have to do anyway, but manually. My commute is near the limits of my total charge. And in the winter i have noticed that my miles when i start off are much less than during warm weather. My car is parked in a heated (tempered to 52 degrees) garage during charging/overnight.
When i first got the car, i was starting with anywhere from 83-100. Now that winter has arrived,
i start with70-72 miles. I wonder if that is due to cooler temps or just the battery settling in to a more accurate display of state of charge.

Portable, pretty sure that's the heater dropping your range.

I've seen about the same difference in the reported range between 62 and 63 degrees set on the heater.

I agree portable but in the mean time for a quick defroster fix use a harborfrieght #60525.
I use mine with just the fan (leave the Heat off) and my windshield stays clear (on my side anyway).

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt-auto-heater-defroster-with-light-60525.html
It has a toggle switch for "Heat" just "Fan" or "Off".

I think i got it on sale for $9.99, I did do a couple mods to mine to help it work better...
http://rocketman.myevblog.com/defroster/

Yes that is a PC Power supply fan...the original fan is still on it but I just gave a little boost.
The heater part works but is very week.

You can also turn on the car heater and set it to the low 60's (I think someone said 61) and fan on low and it helps keeps the windshield clear and the range does not suffer much (if at all).

The cooler temps have affected my range also (70's down from 90's) but last night the temp only got down to the 50's and I had a 95 mi range this morning so I am hoping it gets back to normal soon.

In case it's helpful to anyone, I purchased a bottle of RainX anti-fog and I apply it to my front and side windows every few months. A $5 bottle lasts all year and I rarely need to use the defrosters.

I tried the RainX clean/defroster wipes this past winter: no luck, the windows got just as foggy.
I even experimented a little: only using them on one window at a time.

Focus2014 said:
In case it's helpful to anyone, I purchased a bottle of RainX anti-fog and I apply it to my front and side windows every few months. A $5 bottle lasts all year and I rarely need to use the defrosters.

I have had good luck with these products, cuts down the need for defrost and wipers 95% of the time.

Back