Yahoo! Reality series with Ford Focus Electric prize

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klaus

I realize there is a post on the homepage of My Focus Electric Forum http://www.myfocuselectric.com/ford-focus-electric-in-yahoo-reality-series/ that talks about this, but I have a couple comments about the reality series that Yahoo! is putting on.

Does this just sound like the Amazing Race with a different prize? Or is it just me?

The Focus Electric image that Yahoo is using for promotion of the series has this painted along the bottom of the doors: "America's most fuel-efficient five seat vehicle". I think that is a little mis-leading, since the Ford Focus Electric doesn't even use fuel. And is the Focus Electric rated as more efficient than the Nissan Leaf? Does Ford mean it goes farther on a charge, uses less kW per km?

And what about the Mitsubishi i-Miev? I thought it was rated at 112MPGe?

And Tesla - I know the model S isn't available yet, but even though the Ford Focus Electric is apparently available, why has no one received there vehicles yet?

I thought reality TV was dead? And now Ford thinks it's a good way to get the word out there about their Ford Focus Electric? Interesting idea I guess, but I don't know that it will go 'viral'.

Never been a fan of reality tv; i might think differently if it involves a ford focus electric. Who cares about a bachlorette; give me a focus ev! Where do i sign up to compete for one of these 105 mpg ford focus electrics?

Learning about this here on the ford focus electric forum has got me wanting to watch this show.

I love reality TV and I think the more celebrities / major corporations that support the Ford focus electric the better. What I always find fascinating is how long it takes for Ford focus EV related marketing to reach the public. Almost everything involved with electric cars seems to be delayed and I am sure for consumers it is frustrating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=le6P469bEeI

Show does sound awesome though. One note in the video I found interesting is the fact that she really makes a point to say that the focus ev is just an organic part of the show and in no way the focus (yes pun intended!). As EV's become more popular hopefully they too will also become more accessible to the masses and I think entertainment related marketing like this can only help.

klaus said:
The Focus Electric image that Yahoo is using for promotion of the series has this painted along the bottom of the doors: "America's most fuel-efficient five seat vehicle". I think that is a little mis-leading, since the Ford Focus Electric doesn't even use fuel.
Sure it uses fuel. It just doesn't go in the tank. Fuel of some type has to be used to create the electricity. Comparing the MPGe of the Focus to both gas and electric vehicles seems fair.

The higher MPGe of the Focus means that its more efficient than the Leaf, even though its range is shorter.

klaus said:
The Focus Electric image that Yahoo is using for promotion of the series has this painted along the bottom of the doors: "America's most fuel-efficient five seat vehicle". I think that is a little mis-leading, since the Ford Focus Electric doesn't even use fuel. And is the Focus Electric rated as more efficient than the Nissan Leaf? Does Ford mean it goes farther on a charge, uses less kW per km?

And what about the Mitsubishi i-Miev? I thought it was rated at 112MPGe?

And Tesla - I know the model S isn't available yet, but even though the Ford Focus Electric is apparently available, why has no one received there vehicles yet?

Technically I would agree that electricity is not strictly speaking a fuel. And yes, the FFE is more efficient that the LEAF. It goes 76 miles on 23kWh battery vs. the LEAFs 73 on a 24 kWh battery.

And you are correct that the iMiev is more efficient than the FFE, but note here Ford's clever wording "most fuel efficient FIVE seat vehicle." The iMiev only seats four.

All in all I think Ford's statement is accurate.

Back