Suggestion for Ford regarding charging door

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WattsUp

You can probably easily find references to the charging door on the FFE being left open, or perhaps even coming open while driving, in this forum or at the forum at myfordmobile.com.

Certainly, if there is a problem with the door coming open while driving, that should be fixed. However, I think a large majority of the door being "discovered open" occurs when the driver simply forgets to close the door. This probably due to a combination of the newness of frequent EV charging, and also the fact the charging door can be completely obscured by the mirror (at least for me) when approaching the driver's door from behind. Also, even when open and not obscured, from certain angles standing near the driver's door, the charging door might not appear "obviously" open. You can easily get into the car without noticing. I have certainly been guilty of this several times.

My suggestion: Since forgetting to close the charging door usually happens within seconds/minutes of finishing a charge session, how about lighting up (or even flashing) the charging ring after the plug has been removed? Perhaps for a minute, or until the car as been started. At night, this would certainly attract the driver's attention, and even in daylight it may be effective. For consistency with the meaning of the ring, it could light up as many segments as apply with the current charge level.

I suspect the behavior of the charging ring could be easily changed through software. But, another suggestion is to add a "charging door open" sensor and report an open charging door in the dash. However, this would obviously add some cost and would not help current FFE owners.

I was invited to talk with a couple of visiting Ford engineers about my FFE experiences. They asked specifically about if I sometimes leave the door open-- I do-- and would I like an in-car notification if I leave it open.

My answer was how about redesigning the door so that it is more-easily closed and therefore remove the need for such a notification. The charger door is overly designed, in my opinion, it places form over function (it is a kinda fun design the first time you use it, after a while it is just annoying and makes opening/closing harder than it needs to be).

Generally when I leave the door open it isn't because I didn't close it, it is because I didn't depress the door hard enough to latch it. I vote for a charging door redesign.

I also suggested they move the charge port to the front middle of the car, like the Leaf has, by having it on the side it really makes the car wider. I have to park my car at an angle in my garage so that I can maneuver around the sticking-out charger handle.

wplate said:
Generally when I leave the door open it isn't because I didn't close it, it is because I didn't depress the door hard enough to latch it. I vote for a charging door redesign.
While I kinda like the rotating door, I agree that Ford's execution could have been better. Perhaps not making the thing entire out of plastic would have been a good start. But, I generally agree... my main suggestion would be to provide a more tactile "click" upon opening and closing, so you would know when the door was fully closed and locked. Right now, the action is "mushy" and indeterminate.

Putting aside the shortcomings of the current mushy mechanism, I've pretty much eliminated the door coming open while driving. I have developed the habits of, 1) closing the door by pressing the indentation (which causes the door to swing back into position automatically) and 2), giving the indentation a final firm push. I think all my remaining cases of the door being left open are due to my own forgetfulness (per my initial post in this thread).

wplate said:
I also suggested they move the charge port to the front middle of the car, like the Leaf has, by having it on the side it really makes the car wider. I have to park my car at an angle in my garage so that I can maneuver around the sticking-out charger handle.
I read somewhere that Ford carefully chose the upper driver fender position for a variety of factors, including lowering the cost of repairs for impacts which may have otherwise damaged a front- or rear-located charging door.

I'm sure there have been Leaf owners out there whose car has been effectively "disabled" because the front-located charging port was damaged (making it either inaccessible, or perhaps even unsafe) by a minor front impact. Should I ever be in a front impact in my FFE (that doesn't prevent me from driving the car), I think that I will be very glad that the charging door is located safely out of harm's way. Despite what I said in my initial post (about the door "hiding" behind the side mirror), I think Ford actually made a well-reasoned choice here. I can't deny the logic of it.

I like the door, but now it's sticking. It pretty much doesn't open or close without help. What would the best lube be for the plastic "hinge"?

Hokus said:
I like the door, but now it's sticking. It pretty much doesn't open or close without help. What would the best lube be for the plastic "hinge"?
WD-40?

But, maybe ask your Ford dealer for advice before doing anything at all?

WD40 ,( even though its edible), is an oil based product and tends to attract dirt particles. It also might have reactions with the plastic door, making it soft and pliable causing it to stick. A teflon or silicone spray might do better with the plastic
hinge on the door assembly.

Right, WD can attack some plastics, don't take a chance.

Silicone sounds right to me. I use that on the "nozzle" too which is a little tight.

Closing the Focus charger door definitely is more exacting than say the Volt charger door, which just swings. Not saying it is hard, but you have to press in exactly the right spot.

Presumably the Ford pivoting door was chosen to save room in a tight garage? But since you have a side view mirror right there which sticks out even more does it really matter?

Fact: you will forget to close your charge door. Whenever I do this I smile to myself and think "its confirmed, you are a forgetful fool."

My suggestion how about a charge door that closes itself automatically after I remove the cord?

Flashing the led ring to remind you whenever the cord is removed was an excellent idea.

I haven't got my car yet but I'm going to throw my 2 cents in anyway.
I like the location of the door. I think the simpler the door is to operate, the better.
I personally would like an on dash indicator because I too can forget my name never mind remember to close a door.
I'm curious to know how the door is standing up to constant use and the weather.
How does it fare in the ice and snow and rain?
since I've never seen one in the raw, I can't make any determination.
I wish the dealer ships would get off their collective rear ends and put the infra structure in so they can sell and service Fords EV's.
That way there'd be at least one car on hand for customers to have a look at.
And who knows, maybe they could sell a few as well. ;)

Zurc.

I've had my FFE for almost three weeks, and i've left the charging door open at least a half dozen times already. I just need to get used to closing it as part of "refueling". I never forgot to close the fuel door on my ICE car - it was just the last thing you did after putting the fuel cap back on. So i'll learn, i hope.

Agreed, the door's mechanism is over-designed. A simple flip-open hinge (like every fuel door ever) would be better. But the location is fine - it's probably better in the side than in the bumper, where a minor impact could damage the connector.

Not sure how it'll hold up, but it's made from the same plastic as the bumper itself, the spoiler, etc. so it's pretty strong even though it's flexible. Underneath is a rubber gasket the door presses against when closed, to keep water out of the charging socket.

11 months here with 3 or 4 of them during the coldest, nastiest midwest winter we've seen in a long time with the car left outside for most of it.

When it gets cold the "springs" in the charge port door don't open it fully (or fast) and you have to assist it--carefully. A few times the port was covered in ice due to overnight storms enough that I couldn't even close the door (in some of the instances I simply broke the ice off the connector until the door would close).

So far I have discovered that I did not close the door less than 10 times. In many of those instances I only discovered the open door when I got in the car to head home (which means a curious passer by may have opened the door and not realized how to close it).

i get a friendly laugh about people who think the door opened by itself. Thinking back after the event, i am always uncertain that I closed it. and I didn't.
As I mentioned once about having door freezeup in the winter, that can be a hairy experience. The very fact that the door is flexible makes it possible to open, even in that case. Peel it out and push on the button. Overall I like the door. Why make it heavy?

I second the use of Silicone spray. I also agree that putting the door in the hood makes it likely to be unable to be opened after a front collision. I also don't like where the Leaf door is. Try clearing snow off of that. or leaving it overnight after a snow storm when snow is piled on it, with a wire sticking out.
There was an enormous amount of largely successful engineering that went into our cars. That's why we love our FFE's.

Since I live in a densely populated, old and hilly city in California, we do not have driveways on our side of the street and our 1-car garage is filled with 'stuff' because California houses mostly do not have basements. I will have to park my FFE in the street and since the charge port is on the street side of the vehicle, I will have to have the connector hanging out in the street, which is narrow and fully parked up with cars.
We get tickets for parking facing on coming traffic the wrong way. Maybe I can work something out with the local Police department in that regard.
So my suggestion would be to put the charge port on the passenger side of the vehicle.

I like it where it is. For me, if it were on the front, I'd most likely be damaging it by walking into it all the time. I got quiet a few shin bruises and broken skin from the hitch on my Ranger before I finally started carrying it in the cab. The side placement works well for me because the mirror sticks out there and is higher so I notice it and go around instead of through it! Also facing against a wall, there is very little room to get in front to plug in but at the side there is (hopefully) enough room to get to it if only because you need room to open your door so it is far more likely you left some space to use the plug.

Hugh said:
I also agree that putting the door in the hood makes it likely to be unable to be opened after a front collision. I also don't like where the Leaf door is. Try clearing snow off of that. or leaving it overnight after a snow storm when snow is piled on it, with a wire sticking out.

Having gotten into an accident with a Leaf, and seen the results of other accidents with Leafs, I doubt if there is any real issue with the front charge door getting stuck after an accident, unless the car is far more damaged than totaled, in which case who cares.

I charge in my garage, and the FFE door is very badly placed for getting past it. One of several reasons why I got a Leaf.

I also like the FFE, having driven one a lot, and suggest it as one of the two best moderate prices EVs. Depending on where and what kind of driving and people's sizes, I'll make the FFE the top suggestion. I'm often puzzled on why the FFE doesn't sell better.

Cold in NJ, 7 last night, 9 the night before, could not open charging door, cannot charge car, battery too low to drive (less than 10 miles), called All American Ford nobody called me back, no answers as to what to do other than call Roadside Assistance.
How the heck is one supposed to be at ease with this junk!?
Now, if my wife takes the car, she is at the top of a mountain in a remote location (where she works, Peapack NJ) and she cannot charge to have enough juice to come home, what then? Pry it open and fight to get it replaced?
Already did the CRC/WD40, SIlicone gig, bottom line is poor design, bad news, and it's enough to make me hate this car regardless of all the joys and plusses it offers.
Anyone want to take over the lease, ends in July 2016, 157.98 per month, it's already paid until March 2017, I'm fed up. 7500 miles, zero dings, dents, zero anything, just don't want to deal with the headaches, gonna buy a BMW i8 or Toyota Hydrogen, Ford can take it to where the sun don't shine, I'm done.

guruuno said:
Cold in NJ, 7 last night, 9 the night before, could not open charging door, cannot charge car, battery too low to drive (less than 10 miles), called All American Ford nobody called me back, no answers as to what to do other than call Roadside Assistance.
How the heck is one supposed to be at ease with this junk!?
Now, if my wife takes the car, she is at the top of a mountain in a remote location (where she works, Peapack NJ) and she cannot charge to have enough juice to come home, what then? Pry it open and fight to get it replaced?
Already did the CRC/WD40, SIlicone gig, bottom line is poor design, bad news, and it's enough to make me hate this car regardless of all the joys and plusses it offers.
Anyone want to take over the lease, ends in July 2016, 157.98 per month, it's already paid until March 2017, I'm fed up. 7500 miles, zero dings, dents, zero anything, just don't want to deal with the headaches, gonna buy a BMW i8 or Toyota Hydrogen, Ford can take it to where the sun don't shine, I'm done.

Sorry to hear you are having those problems. Maybe you could get a hair dryer to heat up the port door so it will open. If there is a charger there is an outlet you can use, or use the 110 in the back seat console area for it.
I doubt you will find any other vehicle without it's own set of problems, but I suppose it comes down to what you are willing to accept.

My port door is pretty slow to open but so far it hasn't been an issue to that level, but I'm sure it would be a nuisance. Not one that rises to the level of dumping the car though. But that is my take, I accept the limitations and quirks of the car. It is far from perfect, but at the cost and with the perks it has I am still very happy with the car overall. I traded my 2012 SEL Focus with leather and winter pack for it. Same body, same color, low miles and a great car all around. I like the electric even more despite the range limits and lack of leather seats, (miss those!). Some would consider the Electric to be inferior to the ICE due to those limits but the benefits outweigh the tradeoff for me and how I use the car.

guruuno said:
"use the 110 in the back seat console area for it"
?????? What???????

Sorry, bad memory, the C-max has the 110 outlet in the back of the center console. Had it confused with the Electric. I own both.

Back