Soon to be a owner but have a question..

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

banshee08

Hi all,

I currently drive a 2013 Rav4 EV and will be bringing home a Focus EV soon for my wife. Just curious on what the average Miles/KW is everyone getting. In my Rav4 EV my average is about 3.7miles/kw after about 12,000 miles so I am wondering how far I can push the car on a full charge.

Thanks,

Chan

As you know, this varies hugely depending on how you drive and the climate control.

My use is 90% freeway, usually 65-70 mph, and I use the air conditioner freely but minimize use of the heater (Los Angeles weather). Several climbs and descents along my everyday route. I'm careful with acceleration and braking.

My long term average is right around 275 Wh/mile, or 3.6 mi/kWh. When I keep it under 60 and try to draft trucks, I can get close to 200 Wh/mile (5 mi/kWh) even on the freeway. When I'm very careful I can get it under 200 Wh/mi (5 mi/kWh), but I have little need to do this.

I'm sure others have different experience.

241 Wh/Mile average since late January with a month average high of 335 in January and a low of 222 in April. 241 Wh/Mile = 4.15 miles per kWh. As temperature is warming, we are seeing more drives in the low 200s, inching closer to 5 miles per kWh.

banshee08 - I am in So Cal, lifetime avg on my FFE is 244 Wh/mi, or 4.1 mi/kWh. Averages about 80 miles on a charge. I charge at work and at home, so I don't drive it conservatively (it's a fun car!).

My situation is the opposite of yours... I drive the FFE, my wife drives the RAV4 EV.

After about 1.3 years and 18K miles, the car says my lifetime average is 254 Wh/mi. I usually get full charge range estimates in the high 70s or low 80s.

I'm in SE Michigan so my lifetime ave is a bit higher due to winter: ~260 Wh/mile. My total commute is only 30 miles, a distance the FFE can easily make even on the coldest of days.

Since you have the Rav 4 EV, you are probably in California and cold weather isn't relevant.

In Chicago, October 2013 and April 2014 were 240 Wh/mile (4.1) - pretty reasonable for warm weather. In the dead of winter 350 Wh/mile (2.8), was peak usage - 300 Wh/mile (3.3) is more like normal. Running the heater makes a huge difference.

v_traveller said:
banshee08 - I am in So Cal, lifetime avg on my FFE is 244 Wh/mi, or 4.1 mi/kWh. Averages about 80 miles on a charge. I charge at work and at home, so I don't drive it conservatively (it's a fun car!).

My situation is the opposite of yours... I drive the FFE, my wife drives the RAV4 EV.

Thanks everyone

Just brought home a Ice Storm FFE yesterday. really like the car and my wife really loves that it is the same size as our prius just a whole lot more fun. Drove for about 75 miles yesterday from dealer and out to dinner plus some shopping got 210 Wh/Miles about 50/50 surface street to highway. That is quite a bit better than my RAV4. I did notice that the car has much less road noise than my Rav4. Could be due to new tires.

Now on to researching best option for home link. Visor or Mirror??? hmmmmm.

There is a very detailed thread in this forum about how to install the homelink visor. (sorry, I'm kind of useless at doing searches). I've done the install twice - the parts you need are listed and where to buy them. There is no option for a mirror.

There is also an excellent thread on how to replace the interior, puddle, and rearview mirror indicator lights to LED.

Congratulations on driving a very cool car! The FFE rocks! It's a lot of fun to drive and it's fast as well. It's a wonderful car. Just ask the man that owns one!

Joe

Back