Loud noise when using Go Times or AirCon while plugged in

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erik

Has anyone come across a noise ranging from loud to VERY loud when using Go Times or Accessory mode with the Air Conditioning on (while connected to AC power)? It's hard to describe sounds, but I'll go with a "rapid-knocking" of varying speeds.

I've noticed what sounds like a very fast knocking when using preconditioning. It would quietly happens when using 110v power before my 220v EVSE was installed. Now the car is getting full power to precondition, and that noise much louder.

I'm lucky enough to have access to a ChargePoint at work. I have Go Times set for when I leave.
Last night, I walked to the car (about 70°F) and could smell a faint "hot" smell when I removed the plug. I felt the front left tire, and it was very warm on top (which is weird). There was definitely some kind of sustained heat coming from that area.

This morning I walked into the garage about 10 minutes before my scheduled Go Time (about 65°F again). Usually I can hear a fan circulating air, but today it was accompanied by the rapid knocking noise. It was quite loud.

I was able to isolate the noise to when the AC is on (as it is during preconditioning).
If I turned Accessory Mode ON with the HVAC OFF, there was no noise. If I turned the AC ON, the noise would ramp up, as if whatever is making the noise accelerates in steps. If the AC button is pressed to turn it off, the noise stops immediately.

And it only occurs when connected to power. I never hear it when driving around with the AC on, and the AC works just fine. Think it could still be the compressor... assuming it still has an AC compressor?
I've setup a service appointment for next week, so that'll be enlightening.

For the curious, I took some video. It's not great, but it gets the audio across.

http://youtu.be/2pmjN8h23tE

The thunk I heard in your first video sounds just like the relay clack when your GE WattStation turns on when you first plug in your FFE. I don't know what the second video was trying to show. (I have a short attention span.)

It's just the coolant pump circulating the coolant. Mine does the same thing when preconditioning. It goes away after about a minute for me.

sefs said:
It's just the coolant pump circulating the coolant.
I wish that was true, and it was that simple. I can hear the pump, and this is separate.

Luckily(?), it's evolved into screaming every time the AirCon is on, regardless of any other factors.

So, that should be an easy fix. I was fearing a lengthly "groping in the dark" diagnosis at the dealership, as other have reported for FFE-specific issues.

By AirCon do you mean the compressor? Also, just be aware, that there are three separate pumps for three separate coolant loops.

Also, there is a SSM on the subject:

"SSM 32308 - 2012-2013 C-Max/Focus/Fusion/MKZ Hybrid - Plug In Hybrid - Battery Electric Vehicles - A/C Compressor Noise - Low Refrigerant Charge
Some 2012-2013 C-Max/Focus/Fusion/MKZ Hybrid/Plug In Hybrid and Battery Electric vehicles may exhibit excessive noise from the electric A/C compressor. A/C compressor noise in these vehicles may occur due to an incorrect refrigerant level or restriction in the system. Prior to following normal diagnostics for A/C compressor noise, check for refrigerant leaks and line restrictions. Repair as required per Workshop Manual, Section 412-00 then evaluate the system for noise. Typically, no additional service will be required after performing these repairs. "

sefs said:
Also, there is a SSM on the subject...
Sweet. I mentioned this when I dropped it off this morning.

I hope the service technician is more on-the-ball than the service writer.
He kept trying to tell me "the noise was from the CVT." We went back and forth about e-CVT versus the single-speed gearbox, but he wouldn't have it. "There's no way the motor could spin fast enough to get up to speed without the CVT"

The FFE doesn't have a "conventional" transmission at all, nor a CVT. (That is pretty funny the service writer insisting on a CVT!)

It has about 3 gears between the motor and the drive wheels (not counting the differential) with no clutch--there is no way to disconnect the motor from the wheels. You can see some cutaway pictures here:
http://jamiegeek.myevblog.com/2013/09/09/motoring/

Sweet cutaway!

Resolutions:
On the matter of single-speed versus e-CVT:
There was no agreement. He wouldn't back down from his stance the groaning noise when first starting off was the "CVT." Oh well, I'm not worried about it.

Regarding the noise when using AC:
They said it was the sound of the air moving with the radiator fan. It clearly wasn't a fan/air noise, so I pulled him out to the car to for another listen (now that it was hot out it was much louder than this morning). We were able to isolate the noise to the Bosch relay(?) just to the driver's side of the fan assembly.
They pulled a new FFE around and we were able to duplicate the noise... said all the FFE and Energi make the same noise.

It's hard to argue when a brand new unit makes the same obnoxious noise. Without an actual measurement, it's hard to describe just how loud it is. It drowns out the actual fan noise.
You guys get this relay noise too? Best I can say is it seems abnormally, distractingly loud when running.
Or, maybe I'm just nuts. :lol:

Or any car Ford sells for that matter - pretty sure there isn't a CVT in any car Ford makes. Nissan, yes; not Ford.

Are you sure you weren't at a Nissan dealer???? :eek: :lol: :mrgreen:

Back